The most ignorant thing one can do while flying a drone

Good Discussion Guy's,
I was on Mavic Pilots a few minutes ago and a newbie was asking for others to share their stories about flying Out of the line of sight and the guy's pretty much said we don't answer questions related to this topic LOL, but we must all BE SAFE and keep others SAFE at all times , No Exceptions >>>
Fly SAFE
SteveP55

So, out of this post, all you took away from it is that you think a pedestrian has right of way in a street over a vehicle? You're missing the point, brother. But, as a FYI: "Pedestrians may not unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a crosswalk.Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles when crossing outside of a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection. "
Yes, but you can't just run them over. Pedestrians may have 'legal' right away but are drivers not responsible for hitting a person because they have 'right of way'? That's called murder... And I am so bored of all the 'long distance' 'testing'. Just go o. YouTube and watch some other idiot do it. If the manual says 4.2 miles and the YouTube idiots get similar results, just trust it. What do you need to film that's 4.2 miles away. 4.2 miles that you can't drive or walk to?

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Deezbs Above says : What do you need to film that's 4.2 miles away. 4.2 miles that you can't drive or walk to? ^ Deezbs YOU are Sooooooooooo Right ! You HIT the nail squarely On the head.
Some times....THE Truth is very had to take...This thread has a whole lots and LOTS of truth in it.

Reactions: skymonkey
I've been reading these replies and I'm not quite sure which is more alarming; the fact that the majority of this thread has turned into a legal discussion about the analogy used, proving that reading comprehension is on the downturn or the fact that people don't know the law, at least in my analogy of being in America. And, just to put this to rest, "Duties of Pedestrians. When a pedestrian is crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, he or she must yield the right of way to all vehicles. In other words, a pedestrian does not have the right of way at all times." And neither do your drones in the air.

I think we are getting off topic. I think we are talking about drunk pedestrians crossing the street BVLOS.

It is really simple. Pedestrian or UAS. Be responsible, follow the rules (KNOW THE RULES!), and make good decisions.

Like them or not, there aren’t a lot of grey areas with the laws regarding walking or flying. Which is good.

Now, I need to post some drone related comments in my jaywalking forum.

I think your suppose to see/avoid or yeild to predestinations. At least I think thats the way it was years ago when I took the driver's test.

Yes, but you can't just run them over. Pedestrians may have 'legal' right away but are drivers not responsible for hitting a person because they have 'right of way'? That's called murder... And I am so bored of all the 'long distance' 'testing'. Just go o. YouTube and watch some other idiot do it. If the manual says 4.2 miles and the YouTube idiots get similar results, just trust it. What do you need to film that's 4.2 miles away. 4.2 miles that you can't drive or walk to?

Mountain tops and missing persons.

Reactions: D3ADP3P
I think we are getting off topic. I think we are talking about drunk pedestrians crossing the street BVLOS.

It is really simple. Pedestrian or UAS. Be responsible, follow the rules (KNOW THE RULES!), and make good decisions.

Like them or not, there aren’t a lot of grey areas with the laws regarding walking or flying. Which is good.

Now, I need to post some drone related comments in my jaywalking forum.
You idiots have way too much time on your hands. Get a life.

This morning on good morning America they had video taking out the door of a helicopter showing the pollen blowing in the rotor wash! He was flying just above the pines so you never know how low you can run into trouble! Just look at the next thread 3.5 miles and back his personal best! oops makes you wonder why they make them so they can go that far!

All the long distance drone flyers all need to site where they can brag away and no one will bother them just the FAA some day....Like one poster here ( #41 post ) said at a mavic site..a guy posted a long flight and they posted back oh We Don't Talk About That Here Good For Them !.....i'm sure that we have the FAA here watching these threads...i hope so.

It all boils down to pilot responsibility. Flying under Part 107 you know what the rules and requirements are. It's your choice to abide or not, getting waivers or not, etc etc. Is it worth the risk that may be involved? FLY RESPONSIBLY!

With respect to pedestrians, I believe the correct answer is that every "CITY" has their own laws and that it may or may NOT be the same everywhere you go or which country you're in.

All the long distance drone flyers all need to site where they can brag away and no one will bother them just the FAA some day....Like one poster here ( #41 post ) said at a mavic site..a guy posted a long flight and they posted back oh We Don't Talk About That Here Good For Them !.....i'm sure that we have the FAA here watching these threads...i hope so.

Or, just like, don’t brag ;)

Just what does that mean "like or brag" your too brief with your words.

The analogy between road users and drones is interesting.

In both cases the term Right of Way is often used, but is of limited use and only applies in specific situations. On the roads and in the skies, certain users have Priority depending on a number of conditions and local laws.

Priority is easier to understand, be you in a car or a helicopter, as it does not imply that you have the right to knock down a pedestrian or crash into a drone.

If you have a lower priority than other road or sky users, you are required to look out for other users and take avoiding action as necessary, the point that the OP was making.

Reactions: Tenisyn
...However, you would never see a real pilot flying a plane with no windows and only a small screen with limited FOV from a camera...
[emoji22][emoji35] No true Scotsman..

I think he was being facetious. It's a law in most if not all countries, but seeing it in practice is rare.

Rarity is an arbitrary value. 200 years ago, it was rare to see a man in the air. Today it is commonplace.

Last edited:
IFR is like flying a plane with no windows and on data provided by a small screen. But there is always a pilot in command and that's the important issue here.

BVLOS in a mountainous area for instance is highly irresponsible, your could crash against an light aircraft or a helo suddenly appearing over the top of the mountain. Even if there is only a collision avoidance maneuver by the aircraft with no crash, it will be in the logs, reported and investigated by the regulator. Just a small collision or an engine sucking your bird down could land you a bill in the thousands in the blink of an eye. And a fine as well.

We need a good safety culture, is the only way we can do serious business with drones.

Last edited:
I Really Think we would have many more condemning the nuts that fly way beyond what their OWN two eyes can see even with prescription glasses on BUT they don't want to expose their selves and Not be liked by others or not in the click. no more....like all the private pilots and commercial pilots here and safety oriented Drone owners ..they are too scared to speak up.

Tenisyn above says :
And Rarity is an arbitrary value. 200 years ago, it was rare to see a man in the air. Today it is commonplace.

200 years ago if a man was in the air....he had to just fell off a clif !

There is a difference between a) being cautious and risk aware when you test the limits and b) knowingly playing with risk and making a youtube channel about it for the views count and making an example to other droners. The former case should be criticised.

For instance, there is a case where you could test a BVLOS scenario and that would be simulating a sudden GPS stabilisation cut-off in the boundary of your VLOS area, maybe someone passing you the RC in ATTI mode after some seconds and you shoud take control as soon as possible by getting the drone manually back into VLOS, taking notes about times and distances. AFAIK, scenario testing and buffer areas are provisions regulators are very keen on.

Anyway, I think we're stil far away from safe BVLOS. For instance, the only acceptable mitigation against a command and control link shut down would be a safe landing, but our drones are still far away from doing safe landings on their own in any given situation.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20