The BIGGEST Barrier to Real Estate Missions...

I am a certified real estate appraiser, owner of rental property and I flip houses on the side; and I am a UAS hobby flyer. I have thought of using drone photos in my profession or even starting a real estate photo business. I just honestly think that being a licensed 107 UAS pilot does not matter to most agents. They want good photos for a good price. I don't see anyway they can get sued because a photographer did not get the proper license. Agents are incredibly well protected from lawsuits in the things they are "experts" in already. They are not FAA or photography experts. They will argue they didn't know any better. With that being said, I personally would not take photos for money without the proper UAS license.

I am a certified real estate appraiser, owner of rental property and I flip houses on the side; and I am a UAS hobby flyer. I have thought of using drone photos in my profession or even starting a real estate photo business. I just honestly think that being a licensed 107 UAS pilot does not matter to most agents. They want good photos for a good price. I don't see anyway they can get sued because a photographer did not get the proper license. Agents are incredibly well protected from lawsuits in the things they are "experts" in already. They are not FAA or photography experts. They will argue they didn't know any better. With that being said, I personally would not take photos for money without the proper UAS license.
Getting the 107 is very easy, and it makes all this go away. Just say'n.

Getting the 107 is very easy, and it makes all this go away. Just say'n.
I agree. I just don't think most agents will care or know if the photographer has the part 107 or not. I feel you should have it if you are doing anything commercial. That is why I don't advertise myself as being able to take realtor drone photos.

I agree that most don't care but they often simply don't know the laws.
If you are selling aerial services to them you might want to educate the realtors your are dealing with about the law.

"Just as an update, the FAA confirmed in writing this week of the fines that can be applied. For a pilot who is unlicensed, the fine is $1,100 per occurrence/flight where imagery is used commercially. More importantly perhaps, the fine for the the real estate agent who hires an unlicensed pilot is $11,000. Of course, if you’re an agent who bought a drone and took the photos or video yourself, you will be liable for both fines."

Realtors Have Liability for Hiring an Unlicensed Drone Operator

This gives you an advantage if you are 107 licensed. All realtors I work with are far too busy to worry about getting their 107 license nor do they want to.

If you educate them about the laws they can at least make their own informed decisions.

Licensed pilot does not necessarily mean good photographer....
Also very true. I’m very good AND licensed, but there are many great pilots who have minimal clue about how to capture relevant listing images. These are the pilots who will weed themselves out of the game by taking shots including vehicles, people, toys in the yard, bad angles, etc. Real Estate photography is a skill. Also, for real estate, photos cannot be manipulated. e.g. you can’t ethically photoshop out wires, trees, or any existing feature to improve the image. You CAN post process the exposure, level the shot, tweak colors and generally improve the image quality. But if the neighbors house is mere feet from the house for sale, you can’t erase it and replace it with grass or other item.

Just my 2 cents, I agree with a more subtle approach. As others have mentioned, real estate agents know firsthand the value of licensing since each of them must have one.

How about a simple - even clever - footer on the flyer with a terse message. Borrowing from the famous phrase suggesting designated drivers when drinking, how about "List Responsibly. Designate a Licensed Drone Pilot." I have long used something similar for photography in general ...

Designate1.jpg

I can condense all of these answers into one sentence: The biggest barrier to real estate missions are cheap realtors.

However, this detestable industry has been created by stupid photographers who have conspired to ruin their own market.

Reactions: jeffcutler
Please excuse the following rant, but I am on a roll today over some of the attitudes.

This drone aerial photography craze that is going on right now is temporary.

The winners will be those guys and gals that won't do any job that isn't fun for them.

Their goal will be to earn enough so that the Phantom 5 Pro Obsidian Platinum Plus V3.6 that they are waiting for will be free to their budget. They will buy new batteries props and perhaps a tablet or two along the way with what they earn also.

They will enjoy doing the photography that they want to do, at a profit if they choose to. As people get to know them they will accidently fall into a part-time business that they will not allow to get to big to be fun. They will have fun and pocket some reasonable cash.

Now for everyone who thinks drones are a staircase to the stars, please consider car, car insurance, drone, backup drone, health care insurance, liability insurance, house payments, property taxes, home insurance.

Now, how much can you make an hour (not how much you plan to charge an hour)? How many hours of photography does it take to pay all the above, which does not consider things like food, clothing, etc..

So, how many billable photography hours do you need to live the life you are dreaming of?

Now, how many billable 'photography' hours will you have a day, week, month, year? Do the math.

If you are billing by the job, you will wind up with the same issues as the 'by the hour' guy.

IN ANY PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS, SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE.

Very true. But unlicensed pilot does mean illegal photographer....
I'm studying for my license, but I'm not happy about having to do it. I am a good photographer. I am a safe flier. Unless I'm causing problems or damage, I see no reason I should have to be penalized for combining the two.

Very true. But unlicensed pilot does mean illegal photographer....
So, you can get a so-called "legal" pilot, pay him/her, and STILL wind up with lousy pictures. Sounds logical to me.... wait... no...

Please excuse the following rant, but I am on a roll today over some of the attitudes.

This drone aerial photography craze that is going on right now is temporary.

The winners will be those guys and gals that won't do any job that isn't fun for them.

Their goal will be to earn enough so that the Phantom 5 Pro Obsidian Platinum Plus V3.6 that they are waiting for will be free to their budget. They will buy new batteries props and perhaps a tablet or two along the way with what they earn also.

They will enjoy doing the photography that they want to do, at a profit if they choose to. As people get to know them they will accidently fall into a part-time business that they will not allow to get to big to be fun. They will have fun and pocket some reasonable cash.

Now for everyone who thinks drones are a staircase to the stars, please consider car, car insurance, drone, backup drone, health care insurance, liability insurance, house payments, property taxes, home insurance.

Now, how much can you make an hour (not how much you plan to charge an hour)? How many hours of photography does it take to pay all the above, which does not consider things like food, clothing, etc..

So, how many billable photography hours do you need to live the life you are dreaming of?

Now, how many billable 'photography' hours will you have a day, week, month, year? Do the math.

If you are billing by the job, you will wind up with the same issues as the 'by the hour' guy.

IN ANY PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS, SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE.
This is a great set of points.... and part of the reason I don't like the license thing is that, before any of this happens, I have to shell out at least one battery's worth of $$ for someone to bless me and to say that now I'm OK to take a picture of a house.

I'm studying for my license, but I'm not happy about having to do it. I am a good photographer. I am a safe flier. Unless I'm causing problems or damage, I see no reason I should have to be penalized for combining the two.

So you are saying that because you think that you are a good photographer and a safe UAV pilot, then you should be exempted from the Part 107 licensing requirements?

I consider the 107 to be an opportunity for me to participate in the National Airspace System, knowing that I have laws protecting my rights to fly.

If you consider the 107 as an "obstacle" you may not be well positioned for the future of drones in the world.

Reactions: TheKestrel
Its about protecting commercial pilot's rights and providing a control system for the industry. Those who launch drones as a service without part 107 certification AND proper aviation liability insurance prove 1 thing. They dont have the integrity to be successful for the long haul. Why would you risk your business reputation or your client's reputation by not going through the proper procedures to provide drone Services? The market is flooded with SHADE TREE drone operators and i hope the FAA and licenced operators work together to clean this mess up. Ive reported several and im not done. Reminds me of illegal immigration.

Any lawyer would tell you ignorance is not an exception to law.

Its about protecting commercial pilot's rights and providing a control system for the industry. Those who launch drones as a service without part 107 certification AND proper aviation liability insurance prove 1 thing. They dont have the integrity to be successful for the long haul. Why would you risk your business reputation or your client's reputation by not going through the proper procedures to provide drone Services? The market is flooded with SHADE TREE drone operators and i hope the FAA and licenced operators work together to clean this mess up. Ive reported several and im not done. Reminds me of illegal immigration.
Just curious as to how many trials you have been called to testify in, since you may well be the only witness for the several drone photographers that you have turned in. I ask because I am curious to learn how seriously the FAA is taking all the reports you are making.

Just curious as to how many trials you have been called to testify in, since you may well be the only witness for the several drone photographers that you have turned in. I ask because I am curious to learn how seriously the FAA is taking all the reports you are making.
Don't know anything about any trials so far. Heafty citations first, don't know if anyone pleaded not guilty or not. Depending how many illegal flights are executed this can get very costly for the noncertified operator. There doesn't need to be an actual witness to the flight, but a single witness in a court is extra concrete. Im not going to list the many ways illegal operators are proven guilty, that would serve only 1 purpose. Help the commercial drone industry and report those operating commercially without part 107 to your local FSDO.

Don't know anything about any trials so far. Heafty citations first, don't know if anyone pleaded not guilty or not. Depending how many illegal flights are executed this can get very costly for the noncertified operator. There doesn't need to be an actual witness to the flight, but a single witness in a court is extra concrete. Im not going to list the many ways illegal operators are proven guilty, that would serve only 1 purpose. Help the commercial drone industry and report those operating commercially without part 107 to your local FSDO.
No thanks. I will never turn in anyone who is flying safely, regardless of their licensing.

No thanks. I will never turn in anyone who is flying safely, regardless of their licensing.
They aren't flying safely if they aren't obeying the rules/laws. No different than a cab driver with a suspended license etc. They obviously are not covered by the appropriate liability insurance either.

They aren't flying safely if they aren't obeying the rules/laws. No different than a cab driver with a suspended license etc. They obviously are not covered by the appropriate liability insurance either.
Well, they aren't suspended from anything, and I don't care if they insure themselves.
I understand the value of licensing. I just don't equate passing the test with safety. I do think that the more serious flyers will want the 107, as I did, but flying safely is something different to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers