I was told to stop flying.

I completely disagree with your first statement. Laws absolutely are intended to be preventative.
Intent does guarantee any measure of compliance - witness the many murders, rapes and robberies that have severe punitive penalties established by law.
Perhaps dissuade would be a better word to use than prevent. That at least leaves room for the inevitable cost/reward thinking process that accompanies most crime.

Intent does guarantee any measure of compliance - witness the many murders, rapes and robberies that have severe punitive penalties established by law.
Perhaps dissuade would be a better word to use than prevent. That at least leaves room for the inevitable cost/reward thinking process that accompanies most crime.

I think you meant "doesn't guarantee any measure of compliance", and I agree. However, I think it's clear that virtually all laws provide some level of prevention. If murder, rape and robbery were not illegal, do you not think that there would not be many more instances? Prevention is never 100% - reduction is the goal. Dissuasion is certainly the method.

Reactions: BigAl07 and N017RW
I think you meant "doesn't guarantee any measure of compliance", and I agree. However, I think it's clear that virtually all laws provide some level of prevention. If murder, rape and robbery were not illegal, do you not think that there would not be many more instances? Prevention is never 100% - reduction is the goal. Dissuasion is certainly the method.
Dissuasion with reduction as a goal I think we can agree on.
That's certainly more attainable than prevention.

Reactions: BigAl07 and sar104
Do you think this was even a codified rule, or just something they had been told to say or made up on the spot? Once again - they don't control the airspace and unless there are specific provisions published by the FAA (as has been done for certain infrastructure locations), overflight is, by default, not prohibited.
I think you may be right. "I don't know, so I'll just say no and get him outta here." When I to these things I always offer them the pix and video, and usually they're really into that. But, sometimes, they just say no. Oh, he also gave me the railroad police number. I left a message but never got a reply. Sigh.

Laughable? A dam can be a target for terrorism, as the destruction of one can destroy towns and take dozens of lives. A drone can be used to spot the overall structure and highlight weaknesses Not particularly fun now, is it?
Also, there are multiple states with laws regarding structures like dams, so now it's even less laughable when you are in violation of state law. Hope this helps.

Give me a break! Assume the majority of the worlds population is up to something sinister.

Reactions: Timinator
Or 200 grams of powdered fentanyl. You don’t need bombs to kill people with drones. There is a very realistic need to keep drones away from infrastructure. They are terrorist magnets.
Easier to deliver fentanyl with a catapult! You don't need to fan the embers of alarm to the public when it comes to hobby flying of drones.

Laughable? A dam can be a target for terrorism, as the destruction of one can destroy towns and take dozens of lives. A drone can be used to spot the overall structure and highlight weaknesses Not particularly fun now, is it?
Also, there are multiple states with laws regarding structures like dams, so now it's even less laughable when you are in violation of state law. Hope this helps.

What's laughable are the people buying into this fear mongering. Just stop.

Reactions: Timinator
What's laughable are the people buying into this fear mongering. Just stop.

Drones have already been used for terrorism. Restrictions on where you can fly seems reasonable. I also don’t see people fear mongering over this issue, it’s not really one that is in the news. It’s a simple low frequency high severity scenario.

Reactions: Just Mark

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik