I was told to stop flying.

Reaction score
Well I checked all the signs. I went into the reception area and read a list of rules. There was no one to talk to and the place look vacant. I checked air map and logged the flight. There were no restrictions. Well, I'm flying. I was at an Army Corp of Engineer Dam. It is over 2,900 ft. long. We use to walk out on it before 911. I made it to the other side before I heard 2 guys shouting. They had their lunch buckets and was heading home. I immediately told them I'm bringing it back right now. Really great guys. One guy laugh," I hear it." They asked all kinds of questions about my p4. They couldn't believe it could fly to the other side of the dam. They said they had to put up relays to be able to get signals from instruments in the dam.

They told me that my flying posed a surveillance security threat. They said they had to stop a local man from flying his ultralight over the dam. He was even touching the dam with his feet as he crossed over. I told them I couldn't see any rules posted not to fly. I showed them Air Map. The near by prison and the schools were labeled but not the dam. I showed them the video and they loved it. They said they need to get on their people about putting up signs and making sure it is on their posted rules. They thanked me for not being mad at them. I thanked them for not being mad at me. We laughed and parted ways. I love WV. people. Well, except rednecks that like to shoot flying things! A freeze from video. For some reason video coming back away from sun, didn't record.
Tygart dam1.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Texas is is unlawful per STATE statute to fly over/near infrastructure objects, including dams, unless you are employed by the authority of the object.

While not an expert, it’s likely nationwide as per DHS.

Reactions: Superp4 and BigAl07
"Surveillance security threat?" That's laughable. Glad it worked out in the end and sounds like you handled it well.

Laughable? A dam can be a target for terrorism, as the destruction of one can destroy towns and take dozens of lives. A drone can be used to spot the overall structure and highlight weaknesses Not particularly fun now, is it?
Also, there are multiple states with laws regarding structures like dams, so now it's even less laughable when you are in violation of state law. Hope this helps.

There's probably more detailed information available online through government agencies for that dam and in public records that are far more damaging than any drone photography could show. That's why it is laughable.
Really a good point. Google earth and people's pictures show it clearly. The reception center shows the different phases of the dam being built. It showed the anchoring system, how the gates work, the inside and outside of the dam. There is more, that is what I recalled.

None of that has anything to do with current security practices, patrols, or other current related protocols.

Reactions: gingerbloke
Most states do not allow drones over infrastructure including dams, power stations, refineries, fuel farms, etc I cannot find the thread now but a few years back a guy was in hot water for flying near a refinery. He was parked in a nearby empty lot, and that was before they really started to get paranoid.

Here are a couple articles on the topic...

Reactions: hoop826
So, how close to a dam can someone fly? It's not on Air map.
Does not so state. I would assume it has to do with you actually doing surveillance of the area. I do not know.

Reactions: chazzm
Laughable? A dam can be a target for terrorism, as the destruction of one can destroy towns and take dozens of lives. Also, there are multiple states with laws regarding structures like dams, so now it's even less laughable when you are in violation of state law. Hope this helps.

I have to disagree with that statement to a point about—A drone can be used to spot the overall structure and highlight weaknesses Not particularly fun now, is it?— Due to the fact I’ve visited several dams throughout America and one thing stood out, each and every one had (most in the outer lobby no less) beautiful pictures from every angle of said dam. And what, when, and how it was built materials used time taken etcetera. There’s more information then any terrorist would have need for! However that being said it’s illegal to fly drones on or over any US military base at all! I believe that includes most if not all personal manned aircraft also excepting airlines if I’m not mistaken. I only mention this because I know of one that’s actually on federal land but you’d never have any clue it was until it was to late LoL
There are many areas that could be targets for terrorist to include refineries fuel storage depots airports there’s more and more now that I really look at it! It really does kinda scare the crap out of me!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Timinator
I think a lot depends on where . i've flown over a dam in Montana many times and while construction was going on with out a whisper from anybody . have some great footage to boot

If it's not shown as prohibited on the sectionals and there are no NOTAMs on the subject then I'm not clear by what authority they are restricting overflights, whether by UAV or by manned aircraft. And to what altitude?
Some good thoughts.
I was at another area of the state and I was at least 10 mi. from the dam. There was a pretty little park with a falls. I checked Air map at home and it said it was clear to fly. There is no cell reception at this place. I have visited this place about 4 times and have never seen anyone here. I was a couple of minutes into the flight. My wife had taken a walk with my daughter. She than comes running," yelling this is a no drone zone". I had not stopped to check the posted park rules. I was still on the Army corp of Engineers property even though there was no dam or reservoir in site.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31