Tethered System for DJI Drones

Reaction score
Greetings from LIFELINE Tethered UAV for DJI Drones.. we just want to introduce ourselves in this Forum. We recently developed a new tethered system for DJI Drones - trying to make it as affordable for enthusiasts and also for small production companies dealing with construction/industrial, live-broadcasting and also for first-responders.

In Singapore where we are, there are many no-fly zones as we are a small country with a couple of airports and its always necessary to use a tethered system for our flights. Also the Persistence Power of up to 2.5hours is fantastic for all our industrial work.

Do reach out to us if you have similar projects and we will be happy to see how our tethered system can be of service to you.

Cheers.

Michael +65 94554297 | whatsapp

For years there have been posts here in the past touting such systems from folks just putting out FYIs to those promoting development for crowd-funding etc.

And yet years later there is no real solution available to the Phantom-type drone owners.

Sure it sounds cool but there are lots of physical limitations and side-effects of dragging a cord behind/below a small drone that reduce this solution's only benefit (long-flight times) to extremely niche' markets(s) with more expensive equipment.

It's just not practical enough to replace other solutions or they'd be commercially available already.

For years there have been posts here in the past touting such systems from folks just putting out FYIs to those promoting development for crowd-funding etc.

And yet years later there is no real solution available to the Phantom-type drone owners.

Sure it sounds cool but there are lots of physical limitations and side-effects of dragging a cord behind/below a small drone that reduce this solution's only benefit (long-flight times) to extremely niche' markets(s) with more expensive equipment.

It's just not practical enough to replace other solutions or they'd be commercially available already.

The above unit isn't Crowd Funded and is available for purchase now.

Yea.

No user reviews, still face the physics of adding this 'leash' to a drone.

Thinks prop guards affect flight 'feel"?

It's just not practical enough to replace other solutions or they'd be successfully commercially available already.

Yea.

It's just not practical enough to replace other solutions or they'd be successfully commercially available already.

Too expensive to justify this purchase. I invested in enough batteries to do a full days work and nowhere near $6,000.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
I don't know if this system does it, but one way to keep the size and weight of the tether wires low is to use higher voltage alternating current and then step down and rectify at the drone end. That allows you to use much thinner wires. For example if you use 10X the voltage the drone needs, you only have to feed about 1/10 of the amperage up the tether, since power = Volts x amperes. It's the same method used for commercial electrical distribution on the ground.

Greetings from LIFELINE Tethered UAV for DJI Drones.. we just want to introduce ourselves in this Forum. We recently developed a new tethered system for DJI Drones - trying to make it as affordable for enthusiasts and also for small production companies dealing with construction/industrial, live-broadcasting and also for first-responders.

In Singapore where we are, there are many no-fly zones as we are a small country with a couple of airports and its always necessary to use a tethered system for our flights. Also the Persistence Power of up to 2.5hours is fantastic for all our industrial work.

Do reach out to us if you have similar projects and we will be happy to see how our tethered system can be of service to you.

Cheers.

Michael +65 94554297 | whatsapp
Wow $6000. You can buy a lot of batteries for that price. Can't the cord get either cut from the props or tangled in the drone? Whats the weight of the cord? If I need a tethered cord, I can make my own. Way over priced.

Yea.

We are already using it on our surveillance and maintenance projects... this is not a beta. Would love to hear other solutions you found for persistence power for the DJI Drones. We are just starting; we do hope this product can be successfully commercial but most important it can serve a purpose for DJI Drones for people who needs it.

My first guess would be... Too much. $6k & up? I can buy a really really nice drone and lots batteries for that...

Ha... totally agree on the batteries but again depends on the work that you are doing with it. For Live Sports broadcasting for example, I think it will be quite difficult to change batteries in the middle of a football match every 20min. Sometimes for safety reasons as well for no-fly zones, its a criteria to use a tethered drone to get the images and videos you want, especially near airports.

All the best for your work!

Wow $6000. You can buy a lot of batteries for that price. Can't the cord get either cut from the props or tangled in the drone? Whats the weight of the cord? If I need a tethered cord, I can make my own. Way over priced.

Thanks for the comment on the price... how much would you pay for a solution like this?

Here’s a thought. Change the outlet point of the cord to the top of the case. Reason? By doing that, you remove the 90 degree change of angle that the cord exiting the case has to contend with. As the aircraft gains altitude, it will be pulling the cord straight out of the top of the case on it’s own. If the concern that the top mounted exit point then compromises the waterproof case characteristics, provide a rubber plug to install when not in use. Possibly your research and development of this idea may have discovered a problem and you then went with the side outlet? If the second pilot(?) is there to monitor the wire exiting the case, you could change the case itself to a clear view material that the main pilot could monitor himself.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here’s a thought. Change the outlet point of the cord to the top of the case. Reason? By doing that, you remove the 90 degree change of angle that the cord exiting the case has to contend with. As the aircraft gains altitude, it will be pulling the cord straight out of the top of the case on it’s own. If the concern that the top mounted exit point then compromises the waterproof case characteristics, provide a rubber plug to install when not in use. Possibly your research and development of this idea may have discovered a problem and you then went with the side outlet? If the second pilot(?) is there to monitor the wire exiting the case, you could change the case itself to a clear view material that the main pilot could monitor himself.

Thanks for the observation and input. That's a good one for the auto reeling function. We will take note of that in our next upgrade.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't know if this system does it, but one way to keep the size and weight of the tether wires low is to use higher voltage alternating current and then step down and rectify at the drone end. That allows you to use much thinner wires. For example if you use 10X the voltage the drone needs, you only have to feed about 1/10 of the amperage up the tether, since power = Volts x amperes. It's the same method used for commercial electrical distribution on the ground.
Yeah, what did Edison know. He wanted everything to be DC. He tried to make Tesla look like an idiot for using AC.

Ha... totally agree on the batteries but again depends on the work that you are doing with it. For Live Sports broadcasting for example, I think it will be quite difficult to change batteries in the middle of a football match every 20min. Sometimes for safety reasons as well for no-fly zones, its a criteria to use a tethered drone to get the images and videos you want, especially near airports.

All the best for your work!

Football games last longer than 2.5 hours (the life of the tethered unit), so a need to change batteries would still be needed. Furthermore, (in the USA) unless you are a TV Network I doubt one could get a wavier to fly over a football game. I realize this is most likely just an example but not a good one. And a long way to justify the cost of $6,000

Football games last longer than 2.5 hours (the life of the tethered unit), so a need to change batteries would still be needed. Furthermore, (in the USA) unless you are a TV Network I doubt one could get a wavier to fly over a football game. I realize this is most likely just an example but not a good one. And a long way to justify the cost of $6,000

There is a difference between "flying over the people" and providing Over Watch around the game. We've done this for a few years now at various "Events".

We set up a contained area where no one but the Flight Crew are within and fly the aircraft straight up and hover over the locked area. From here we are able to monitor walk traffic, parking lots, as well as determine emergency access for our ES vehicles should the need arise.

Last year we were doing this at a July 4th event and had a massive fire break out off the property and our fire engines needed to find the path of least resistance... we we able to immediately direct them to the exit route that was least congested. This was an event that had 12K people in a very confined area.

There IS a need for items like this and many of us have been looking for a more budget friendly alternative for a good while.

There is a difference between "flying over the people" and providing Over Watch around the game. We've done this for a few years now at various "Events".

We set up a contained area where no one but the Flight Crew are within and fly the aircraft straight up and hover over the locked area. From here we are able to monitor walk traffic, parking lots, as well as determine emergency access for our ES vehicles should the need arise.

Last year we were doing this at a July 4th event and had a massive fire break out off the property and our fire engines needed to find the path of least resistance... we we able to immediately direct them to the exit route that was least congested. This was an event that had 12K people in a very confined area.

There IS a need for items like this and many of us have been looking for a more budget friendly alternative for a good while.

I understand what you're saying.

I never said that there wasn't a "need" for items like this. I guess the operative phrase is "budget-friendly". And also, as I said, with a 2.5 battery life this would not suffice for an event you described as it wouldn't last long enough and batteries would still need to be replaced (I realize there is no perfect setup for "every" situation).

Perhaps this will meet your needs. However, as I stated, "I" cannot justify the cost. Perhaps you can. Good luck in all your endeavors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31