Testing Crashed PV2+

Reaction score
I crashed my Phantom+ and am trying to see if reconstruction and flying without camera or data link is still possible or if I have also lost of motor controllers , IMU or other circuitry that would need to be replace. I have completely removed the gimbals and camera, and the three grey cables that used to go to it just hang. All else inside and under the hood looks fine, but when I fire up the PV+ and even hit the reset button under the bottom of the unit, I keep getting red lights rather than a link with the transmitter/controller. I also get nothing sent back to the app even telling me the battery condition. Seems it should transmit that info even with no satellites, gyro or other attached. Can someone tell me if I should still be able to start the motors (no props on there) and rev them up, even if there is no camera attached, and does it make any difference if the top portion of the shell is attached by its own cable that comes from the top of the dome? What actually has to be plugged in to have the transmitter start the drone? When I first turn on the transmitter, it certainly gets the PV+'s attention and the yellow lights turn to red. I'm trying to troubleshoot if I have damage either the 5.8 receiver, the 2.4 or any of the other circuitry that links the devices. Is there someone who could walk me through the testing process to see if this is still functioning? See attached image of what I'm looking at. You can see the battery is fully charged

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2705.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 568
All wifi is lost without the gimbal so you can't get telemetry, battery levels etc.
From memory you have to plug in the GPS connector that is attached to the top shell to be able to start up the Phantom.

Thanks and yes, sad. Heck of an impact. Meta4, I think I've tried to start up with the GPS cable plugged in, and the yellow lights do go to red when I power up the transmitter, but the PV+ doesn't respond. It "sees" the controller, but will not react properly. I wondered what else might have to be connected or if I have damaged the other parts to the point where the transmitter is seen, but the functionality isn't there. Somehow I think I'm missing something since electronics like this either work or don't, there's often not much in between. I'll keep trying. Not going to spend much of solving this, but wait for Phantom 3, just around the corner. Hopefully, someof my batteries, chargers, etc will still work with the new unit.

zryall3 said:
Thanks and yes, sad. Heck of an impact. Meta4, I think I've tried to start up with the GPS cable plugged in, and the yellow lights do go to red when I power up the transmitter, but the PV+ doesn't respond. It "sees" the controller, but will not react properly. I wondered what else might have to be connected or if I have damaged the other parts to the point where the transmitter is seen, but the functionality isn't there. Somehow I think I'm missing something since electronics like this either work or don't, there's often not much in between. I'll keep trying. Not going to spend much of solving this, but wait for Phantom 3, just around the corner. Hopefully, someof my batteries, chargers, etc will still work with the new unit.

How does the transmitter work in the assistant software?

After replacing the damaged compass unit on the PV2+ leg, I still can't start the motors, even with the GPS unit connected. I then plugged the unit into the utility software on my computer and it tells me there is not "an intelligent batter" connected. I'm guessing that if the PV doesn't think the battery is one of theirs, it's not going to allow the motors to spin but I'm guessing. I'm also guessing that the "intelligence" stems fromthe two small circular connectors blow the main battery blades, and those two dots and the two-wire cable that connects them to the mother board is what tells the unit it has a DJI battery. I can't see any damage to that cable, the plugs on either end, and the battery is a new one. At this point, I'm kind of out of ideas short of sending it in and paying nearly the price of a new one given that I've sheared the entire camera off the gimbal and broken the pitch axis. Anyone have good detailed photos of how the circuit board should look under the hood? Maybe I've got the battery intelligence plug on backwards.

zryall3 said:
After replacing the damaged compass unit on the PV2+ leg, I still can't start the motors, even with the GPS unit connected. I then plugged the unit into the utility software on my computer and it tells me there is not "an intelligent batter" connected. I'm guessing that if the PV doesn't think the battery is one of theirs, it's not going to allow the motors to spin but I'm guessing. I'm also guessing that the "intelligence" stems fromthe two small circular connectors blow the main battery blades, and those two dots and the two-wire cable that connects them to the mother board is what tells the unit it has a DJI battery. I can't see any damage to that cable, the plugs on either end, and the battery is a new one. At this point, I'm kind of out of ideas short of sending it in and paying nearly the price of a new one given that I've sheared the entire camera off the gimbal and broken the pitch axis. Anyone have good detailed photos of how the circuit board should look under the hood? Maybe I've got the battery intelligence plug on backwards.

I got lots of pics and there are lots available on google, you talking about the Vision + main board?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dji+pha ... 1024%3B768

It would seem that if you had another battery you could easily deduce if your first battery has failed or if that connector you speak of above (which is the correct signal connector, in that if you have a good battery and you unplug that connector you will get the error you speak of). So, it seems rather then beating your head against the wall, which is the first class in the "School of Hard Knocks", get a back up battery. Brand new in box, $129.00 delivered and it holds its value so far. Now, I think it will be quite clear what to do after testing with a different battery. (I would not recommend buying a used battery)
Good luck and keep us posted. Ohhk and Make sure you are properly bound, what you are experiencing also happens if the binding is not complete. The light should not be blinking green it should be off.!!
Craig

Thanks Craig. Yeah, got a second, third and fourth battery( I didn't mess around when I purchased this baby), and still get the error msg. What did you mean by properly bound? Not a term I know. While I try to sleuth out why the PV+ won't start, I'm also looking for a solution to the sheared-off pitch axis pin I'm trying to either drill out or remove from the servo. I'll poke around for someone who has done that on the forum. Thanks again,

Zach

zryall3 said:
Thanks Craig. Yeah, got a second, third and fourth battery( I didn't mess around when I purchased this baby), and still get the error msg. What did you mean by properly bound? Not a term I know. While I try to sleuth out why the PV+ won't start, I'm also looking for a solution to the sheared-off pitch axis pin I'm trying to either drill out or remove from the servo. I'll poke around for someone who has done that on the forum. Thanks again,

Zach

Here is a pic showing where that bottom battery connector connects to the Main Board.

Do you have any pictures of the "sheared-off pitch axis pin"? Do you mean that little nub that keeps the camera from spinning in circles? As far as I know there is no need to drill out anything on these gimbal/camera assemblies. They all unscrew and can be disassembled without a problem.
Craig

Attachments

• 20141102_081436.jpeg
    20141102_081436.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 326
What actually happened to your baby? Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member