Test WiFi Module

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Unfortunately, my Phantom fell off a few days ago and the gimbal broke. This is NOT a replacement post, because I've already bought a new one and it's coming. But I still don't know if my WiFi module has been damaged too. I've seen some in the starters topic that I just need to connect the base plate of it, and the module will show up.

But what if the board in the base plate is damage? Will it work by just connecting the 3 cables from Phantom to the gimbal? I needed this info to see if I need to buy a new WiFi module.

Thanks a lot, guys
Guido

You will get a wifi connection broken warning if the cables dont sit right on the gimbal board even though the wifi is working properly.

To test if your module is working properly, download an andriod wifi tester app called wifi analyzer. When the phantom is on, it should be broadcasting a hidden wifi signal.

Edit. The 3 cables must be plugged into the gimbale board power up the module. The 2 wider cables act as bridges to power up the module.

Yeah, I'm gonna test download the app and test it later. As I said before, I connected the 2 cables to the base plate and I still couldn't receive telemetry info. But I think it won't work this way because the gimbal's board seems to be damaged.
Will reply when I test with the app, thanks a lot

When I crashed mine the 4 pin connector broke off and it seemed to be telemetry to the smart phone, after my repair it worked again.

I don't think that my connector has broken, even though nothing happens when I connect the base plate. Gonna have access to an Android phone today and I'll test to see if Phantom's hidden WiFi appears.

Unless the WiFi module is more sensible, it shouldn't be damaged. My Phantom fell directly with the camera and the structure itself seems to be just okay - I'm flying a Phantom 2 right now, lol

Hey guys, I've connected the 3 cables to the broken gimbal's base plate, downloaded the WiFi analyzer and tested if phantom would broadcast any signal - nothing appeared.
Even though Gimbal is broken, I'm losing my hopes with the WiFi module.

You gimbal board could be dead and does NOT mean your wifi module is dead.
Is there an led on the gimbal board? if no then = dead.
The gimbal board has the 2 wider cables acting as bridges for power and FPV. No power = no bridge.

There is alternative way to test the wifi module
1. Borrow another vision camera and board.
OR
2. Do the H33D mod. READ the link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 15&page=21 (its a good read - you can then go and do the H33D/gopro mod like I have).

It's simple. This will void the warranty as you will be splitting the 3 grey cables. Open up the phantom and take off the USB mount. Remove the double sided tape and pull the 3 sets of cable up and split them. Take the widest cable that is still plugged into the WIFI module and re-route that back into the CAM port of the Phantom Main Board. You should now have power. To test, it should now have telemetry.

Make sense???

Hey Mako,
Well, I have no light signal on the Gimbal board, so it's probably dead. But fortunately when I connected the 3 cables, I could see a hidden WiFi signal which was signed with DJI TECHNOLOGIES, so my wifi module seems to be working.

I may actually perform this procedure. My new Camera+Gimbal will arrive soon (February 4th), but the telemetry info is very important to me. But after doing this, I can revert it, right?

Also, one more question: when I connect the new Gimbal, do I need to manually bind it to the WiFi module, or do I just need to scan the QR code to gather its MAC Address?

gfo315 said:
Hey Mako,
Well, I have no light signal on the Gimbal board, so it's probably dead. But fortunately when I connected the 3 cables, I could see a hidden WiFi signal which was signed with DJI TECHNOLOGIES, so my wifi module seems to be working.

I may actually perform this procedure. My new Camera+Gimbal will arrive soon (February 4th), but the telemetry info is very important to me. But after doing this, I can revert it, right?

Also, one more question: when I connect the new Gimbal, do I need to manually bind it to the WiFi module, or do I just need to scan the QR code to gather its MAC Address?

Congrats and good news that the wifi module is working.

Yes it is reversible. Everything just plugs back in. Take photos if you don't remember where things go.

Binding is easy. Just google dji wifi binding wiki. You can even use the wifi analyzer app to find the last 6 characters to bind.

Well, I've seen some posts out there, not the 20+ pages, but I've got to know some procedure. Actually, I didn't understand exactly what cables do I need to unplug and cut, could you explain it in a newby way? (sorry for all these questions, lol)

While waiting for my gopro to be delivered, I just wired for telemetry, it was super easy, unplug and take out the cam cable and the side wifi input (SD card), use the 6 pin cable going into wifi and before plugging into the cam port, remove the last 2 pins from the plug and plug it into the cam port (now it has 4 active pins) . Voila, wifi is on and telemetry is sent .

You gimbal board could be dead and does NOT mean your wifi module is dead.
Is there an led on the gimbal board? if no then = dead.
The gimbal board has the 2 wider cables acting as bridges for power and FPV. No power = no bridge.

There is alternative way to test the wifi module
1. Borrow another vision camera and board.
OR
2. Do the H33D mod. READ the link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 15&page=21 (its a good read - you can then go and do the H33D/gopro mod like I have).

It's simple. This will void the warranty as you will be splitting the 3 grey cables. Open up the phantom and take off the USB mount. Remove the double sided tape and pull the 3 sets of cable up and split them. Take the widest cable that is still plugged into the WIFI module and re-route that back into the CAM port of the Phantom Main Board. You should now have power. To test, it should now have telemetry.

Make sense???
I would like to do this mod myself but I do not understand exactly how. What usb plug should I get? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you

I want to be able to connect my gopro to the wifi so I can get telementary and video feed from my gopro via the vision app.

Your H33D or H43D should come with a side usb connector like below:
DJI-H3-3D-56 DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Video Output Connection - Hobby Stores, Hobby Shop, RC Drones, RC Cars, Just Hobbies

Then all you need is a longer 15cm zenmuse cable (cost about $10) and connect it from the back of the zenmuse H33D to the Zenmuse port (optional is anti interference board).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl