Temp of MC too high

Reaction score
Fellow forum members:

I'm a bit lost here. This craft has flown once. GPS access was poor, so I decided to improve the EMI shielding and use an external NAZA-lite. I also performed all the firmware upgrades, but I haven't downloaded the PT2 app since no updates were indicated in the app. Initial calibration works, Sats went from normally 6 to 8 in 30 sec. During this time, I had the stock compass connector disconnected, but I left the stock compass attached to the landing arm. Compass dynamics looked fine with new ext compass. I brought the craft inside the home to recalibrate the IMU. Basic reported no problems. Advanced Calibration reported "Temp of MC is too high, power down, cool for 5 min and redo." Temp was reading 23.3C in my office. I did this several times with same results.

All rear LEDs fine.

I don't know the functions of the major components i see with the top of the craft removed. But looking from the battery forward I see the NAZA Phantom FC. Immediately to the left is a bright shinny box about 2.5" x 1.5". That is the box that gets warmish.

What is the function of that component to the left of the NAZA control? (Transmitter by chance?) All other functions of the craft seem to work fine. WiFi is fine. Control of motors fine.

What is your guess about what is happening? What should I do?

Thank you,
-Tim

The shiny box is the wifi transmitter for the video downlink. It does get pretty warm in use.

Normally, airflow from the propellers will keep the insides cool. You didn't cover all the vent holes, did you?

I heard somewhere to ignore the temperature warning and continue. I don't remember where I read or heard it (probably in a YouTube video), so don't trust what I am saying - in other words proceed at risk.

slothead said:
I heard somewhere to ignore the temperature warning and continue. I don't remember where I read or heard it (probably in a YouTube video), so don't trust what I am saying - in other words proceed at risk.

You can ignore it but it will continue to stall out. I ended up having to place a customers vision outside in the 48f temps for 15 minutes or so and than proceeded with the advanced calibration.

Jeremy James

burlbark said:
slothead said:

You can ignore it but it will continue to stall out. I ended up having to place a customers vision outside in the 48f temps for 15 minutes or so and than proceeded with the advanced calibration.
Jeremy James
+1
Do the advanced imu the moment you plug the phantom in the pc.
Do not ignore the warning. If you idle the phantom without props, it will get warm very quick. Warmer it gets the longer it will take.

Thank you all for your suggestions. On my first test path, I installed the top of the vision using tape. Shield was in place inside, but no vents were covered; however, there is zero air movement in my office (70 deg F). I downloaded the new software updates (several minutes) and cycled power after each update as requested.Then it took several minutes to make the electrical connections, establish the wifi, perform the basic calibration, then the basic IMU, and then the advanced IMU test which gave me the temp warming. The Props were off. Second test was done after taking the craft outside to test for sat acquisition, same results. I then took off the top of the vision shell and let everything rest for a while. Temp of wifi transmitter dropped. I then reconnected everything, but with out the upper shell, but with the tether to the computer, main vision bat on, wifi connected, ... about a minute at most. Performed basic imu test, then advanced with same results. Later this morning I'll place a room fan to move the air over the unit and test again.

Jeremy, what do you mean with the phrase "stall out?"

I didn't have this problem when the unit was new, so I can only assume that something is failing out of the ordinary.

Thank you all for your replies: -Tim

timtown said:
Thank you all for your suggestions. On my first test path, I installed the top of the vision using tape. Shield was in place inside, but no vents were covered; however, there is zero air movement in my office (70 deg F). I downloaded the new software updates (several minutes) and cycled power after each update as requested.Then it took several minutes to make the electrical connections, establish the wifi, perform the basic calibration, then the basic IMU, and then the advanced IMU test which gave me the temp warming. The Props were off. Second test was done after taking the craft outside to test for sat acquisition, same results. I then took off the top of the vision shell and let everything rest for a while. Temp of wifi transmitter dropped. I then reconnected everything, but with out the upper shell, but with the tether to the computer, main vision bat on, wifi connected, ... about a minute at most. Performed basic imu test, then advanced with same results. Later this morning I'll place a room fan to move the air over the unit and test again.

Jeremy, what do you mean with the phrase "stall out?"

I didn't have this problem when the unit was new, so I can only assume that something is failing out of the ordinary.

Thank you all for your replies: -Tim

If you watch the green bar advance when doing the advanced calibration you sill see its further advancement stall out when it indicates temps to high. Throw it in a fridge for 5 minutes, pull it out and do the calibration.

Thank you Burlbark,

So this time, I reassembled my craft with shield in upper shell and the bottom/top taped together. (BTW, this was done after letting everything cool - with fans) for an hour. I then made CONTACT WITH THE DJI ENGINEER. He told me what others in the forum mentioned plus some other info. First off, you do not have to have a wi-fi on, nor the Transmitter (remote controller) on, but you do need to follow the following sequence. 1) connect cable from PC/MAC to the craft; don't start the assistant; 2) turn on the craft's battery. Start the assistant software. You may notice slow movements of the camera as it self calibrates which takes a while to complete; 3) go to the tools section and start Advanced Calibration. You will get several messages including the message "Temp of MC (main controller) is too high ... blah, blah. Just ignore this message. The window should be showing that calibration is in process; green bar will jump forward and sometimes step backwards, but then forward again. Eventually it will get to the end and a green check mark will show, BUT WAIT, it is not finished yet. The green bar will advance again from left to right until at the end and a green checkmark will again appear. At that point one is finished. The version of the MAC assistant is 3.6 which is only updated by going to near the bottom of update options and download the entire 3.06 release and re-install. In doing so the PT2 assistant was updated.

timtown said:
Thank you Burlbark,

So this time, I reassembled my craft with shield in upper shell and the bottom/top taped together. (BTW, this was done after letting everything cool - with fans) for an hour. I then made CONTACT WITH THE DJI ENGINEER. He told me what others in the forum mentioned plus some other info. First off, you do not have to have a wi-fi on, nor the Transmitter (remote controller) on, but you do need to follow the following sequence. 1) connect cable from PC/MAC to the craft; don't start the assistant; 2) turn on the craft's battery. Start the assistant software. You may notice slow movements of the camera as it self calibrates which takes a while to complete; 3) go to the tools section and start Advanced Calibration. You will get several messages including the message "Temp of MC (main controller) is too high ... blah, blah. Just ignore this message. The window should be showing that calibration is in process; green bar will jump forward and sometimes step backwards, but then forward again. Eventually it will get to the end and a green check mark will show, BUT WAIT, it is not finished yet. The green bar will advance again from left to right until at the end and a green checkmark will again appear. At that point one is finished. The version of the MAC assistant is 3.6 which is only updated by going to near the bottom of update options and download the entire 3.06 release and re-install. In doing so the PT2 assistant was updated.

If you ignore the temp warning and proceed, it will throw out the altitude readings. The inertia measuring unit (IMU) has a built in barometric altermeter which uses a pressure sensor. Heat affects pressure which therefor affects the altitude reading. If you do an advanced IMU when warm, it will take forever because it CANNOT calibrate. Sometimes you will NEVER see the green tick. Make sure do the calibration when the unit is cold and do it immediately when plugged in to the PC Phantom Assist.

I never get "MC too warm" warnings and the calibration takes about a minute. My phantom has accurate altitude readings.

Remember to do on a level surface, levelled with horizon and make sure you remove the gimbal lock.

Mako79 said:
timtown said:
Thank you Burlbark,

If you ignore the temp warning and proceed, it will throw out the altitude readings. The inertia measuring unit (IMU) has a built in barometric altermeter which uses a pressure sensor. Heat affects pressure which therefor affects the altitude reading. If you do an advanced IMU when warm, it will take forever because it CANNOT calibrate. Sometimes you will NEVER see the green tick. Make sure do the calibration when the unit is cold and do it immediately when plugged in to the PC Phantom Assist.

I never get "MC too warm" warnings and the calibration takes about a minute. My phantom has accurate altitude readings.

Remember to do on a level surface, levelled with horizon and make sure you remove the gimbal lock.
Bulldhit. It doesn't screw up the attitude. It's been a bug since naza came out. Just ignore. If it gets stuck just **** it down redo later.

I did a IMU calibration yesterday outside after upgrading all the firmware and didn't get the too hot pop-up. For times that I did I would put a small fan on it for about 5 minutes, shut down the fan and try it and normally it would work. Also use a bullseye level if you have one. My phantom hadn't been flying straight for a long time finally purchased the level and calibrated and it Flys a straight line now.

Thank you Burlbark,

Great info! I pulled out my dji phantom 2 vision plus and could not advance calibrate. This info helped me through it and it did not over heat after the freezer thing. Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic