Taking the P3pro abroad.

Reaction score
HI All

I appreciate that some of this thread has been discussed already but there is one thing that does not seem to have been covered. It is this.

All LiPos must be carried as part of the ''carry on'' allowance. This is fine, sealed and in fire proof bags is the way I would go. However, what about the LiPo in the transmitter. Do I have to open it up and take the LiPo out and add it to the other one or ones?
It is a LiPo and I assume as such runs the same fire risk as the flight ones.

I am going to Florida very shortly and will probably be buying a P3 pro there as I will be away for three months this time, (Snow birding in reality) But it is the return to the UK that poses the question. Hence this post. I just wonder how other P3 pro owners have fared on their travels to and from the USA, or anywhere else for that matter

I would hope to have it in a carry on size case in the cabin overhead rather than in the hold. As our local flight (FLYBE or EASYJET only allow ONE item as carry on this would be it for me with 'her in doors'' with the other one.

Any experiences or advice will be most gratefully reveived. Thanks in advance. .

POTO.

I would ONLY carry on. I have a pilot friend that says even he would never trust the baggage system in the airport for his own bags.

I have traveled with mine several times with no issues. Even internationally. Mine is in a Drone Crates backpack and fits just fine in the overhead bin. I have seen many folks with much larger baggage that they put in overhead bins so I would not worry about the size too much. What kind of drone case do you have?

HI There are several cases that would do the job well, it is only that the local (FLYBE) has a smaller space in the overhead than the trans atlantic sort, so that is not really the issue. I need to find out whether the LiPo that is installed in the P3Pro TRANSMITTER has to be removed and stowed OUT of the P3. I am assuming that as you haave a P3A, then the same transmitter is more or less used for both. Again I have to assume that you keep the flight batteries seperate, possibly in a coat pocket, Or do you leave them all in the case and just say nothing about the transmitter? Sorry to be a pest. but I had a very nasty experience last time coming back from the USA through Manchester with the security barsteards. An experience I have no wish to repeat, as I go through Manchester again this time.

I need to find out whether the LiPo that is installed in the P3Pro TRANSMITTER has to be removed and stowed OUT of the P3. I am assuming that as you have a P3A, then the same transmitter is more or less used for both. Again I have to assume that you keep the flight batteries seperate, possibly in a coat pocket, Or do you leave them all in the case and just say nothing about the transmitter?
No .. you don't need to remove the battery from the controller.
There are hundreds of devices with non-removable lipo batteries these days and they don't require them to be stripped down.
Ever see anyone travel with a laptop computer or a tablet?
Look at any of the battery info pages from the airlines and they always have a category for batteries contained in devices.
This if from the FAA Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Portable electronic devices, containing batteries
Cell phones, laptop, camera, smart phones, PDAs, games, tablets, watches, etc.

Most consumer personal electronic devices containing batteries are allowed in carry-on and checked baggage, including but not limited to cell phones, smart phones, PDAs, electronic games, tablets, laptop computers, cameras, camcorders, watches, calculators, etc. This covers typical dry cell batteries including lithium metal and lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics (AA, AAA, C, D, button cell, camera batteries, laptop batteries, etc.)

Quantity limits: None except that larger lithium ion batteries and spare nonspillable wet (gel cell, absorbed electrolyte) batteries are limited to two per person. For size restrictions on lithium metal, lithium ion, and nonspillable wet (gel cell, absorbed electrolyte) batteries, see separate "Spare batteries" entries in this table.

Spare batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit.
Spare lithium metal and lithium ion batteries are prohibited in checked baggage. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.
See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(18)

View our illustrated guide on Airline Passengers and Batteries.
Tip: To learn more about lithium batteries, their restrictions, and how to tell what size they are, go to http://SafeTravel.dot.gov

If you want extra confidence, print out a copy of the battery rules and carry it with you too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20