Taking photos at night, what setting is best ?

Sounds like my issues with the winds. I'm about 8 miles from part of Galveston Bay and the winds are often higher than I'd like to by flying in but what can you do right? ! As you can see from my avatar pic I'm also right near the bayou so when I fly that direction I have to make sure I've got a good battery level to fly across and over the other side.
All the pics in this thread are great!
Looking forward to many new pics and adventures w/my P4P+.
:)
Hey I had to put my drone in sport mode to get this one !

Attachments

• IMG_0077_T.jpg
    IMG_0077_T.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 494
Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
Just Kidding
Cool pic!
I like it when they have the "poker run" powerboat races in Clear Lake going to Galveston Bay and I ride with a buddy sometimes. I love those go fast boats! I used to have a tunnel hull 19' w/200 HP outboard but sold it about 10+ years ago. Way cheaper to ride along and throw in the gas $$ than to maintain your own!
I love Florida especially the keys! You guys have some great water over there!
Not like the muddy Gulf of Mexico over our way!

i have just been out taking some photos in the dark, they are quite blurred and basically crap, mostly taken with ISO 100 and 200 shutter speeds around 2 or 3 seconds, I set it on tripod mode hoping to add stability but still crap, there must be a rule of thumb regarding shutter speed at night, I know there are going to be variables with ISO, aperture but the main variable must be shutter speed regarding no blur at night for the p4p at night,
Tripod mode won't help. Only a calm night will help shooting long exposure night shots. 2 second exposures are about the max limit for exposure time, and even then you'll have to take 5 or 8 shots to get a good one.

These shots are quite nice when you get one, but it takes patience to get a good one. These shots can be amazing.

Cool pic!
I like it when they have the "poker run" powerboat races in Clear Lake going to Galveston Bay and I ride with a buddy sometimes. I love those go fast boats! I used to have a tunnel hull 19' w/200 HP outboard but sold it about 10+ years ago. Way cheaper to ride along and throw in the gas $$ than to maintain your own!
I love Florida especially the keys! You guys have some great water over there!
Not like the muddy Gulf of Mexico over our way!
Thanks. I have always said anybody can take a picture of a dog, "Psrewwweeet, Fido, look here." click. It takes some skill to get a car or boat in the air, or an airplane, NOT, or an Eagle bringing food to her chicks. Yeah, Flo is hard to beat if you do it right.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
please tell me how to take the longer exposure pics? I can't find any instruction manual on the cameras
You need to use MANUAL settings in your camera setting. You'll want to set the camera to about 1sec to 2sec exposures, and shoot the photos on a calm night. 3sec exposures are pretty difficult do, but occasionally I'll get one out of 15 that look OK. When you shoot 1 to 2sec exposures, take about 5 or 10 photos, one right after another. Out of those you'll likely find one or two good ones that are clear and not blurred. After one shot, while you're still flying you can review the photo by clicking the play button (triangle, pointing right), which is located near the camera settings link (see below). This lets you review your photos quickly while flying to confirm the light exposure is adequate. Shooting about 30-45min after sunset is a nice effect, looking west, while there is still a hint of light in the skyline. With long exposure the sky will look much brighter, while seeing the brighter lights of buildings or cars below.

upload_2016-12-31_13-17-56.png

upload_2016-12-31_13-28-44.png

Last edited:
if you take multiple pictures and combine them using median blend in Photoshop you can minimize the noise in the photo and still get a good night shot. This method is also good for removing items that would have otherwise blurred the photo but if you are looking for that blurred lines effect then the best method has already been explained in this thread.

i have just been out taking some photos in the dark, they are quite blurred and basically crap, mostly taken with ISO 100 and 200 shutter speeds around 2 or 3 seconds, I set it on tripod mode hoping to add stability but still crap, there must be a rule of thumb regarding shutter speed at night, I know there are going to be variables with ISO, aperture but the main variable must be shutter speed regarding no blur at night for the p4p at night,

2-3 seconds for a tiny camera floating in the air is doable but really long exposure when you think of it, stuff like that often requires a solid tripod on firm ground. at 2-3 seconds even the slightest 1mm camera movement will blur a shot. you can try shorter exposures or a super no wind day with a solidly hovering bird. take lots of captures (10 or so) so you can sift through them in post and find the one (if you're lucky) that wasn't a dud. keep at it and you'll get one!

Reactions: Snowwolf
This was shot last week with my P4P at F2.8 @ 400 ISO @ 1/8 sec. Could have closed aperture down a bit and shot at 1/4 or a half a second. But if it's a little windy its better to keep shutter speed as fast as possible. It's all give and take tbo!
love this shot, no matter what lighting conditions..

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl