taking off in an angle

Reaction score
hello pilots

ive got a question.. its a bit odd but now i have noticed it..

when im tryin to take the p3 off in auto take off and its in an angle it doesnt let me and gives me a promt to retry in a flat surface.. but when im executing a csc in an angle motors are starting..

so.. is that normal?? if yes.. whats the point of not taking off in auto and it does when manual when it sits in an angle??

thanks
xrider

I guess the drone has more sense than a person! You can do what you like but if you give control to the on board computer it will only do what's safe!
as ive said.. odd question.. be more clear if you can.. im telling to the same drone to start the motors but with different ways..
so many years and now im noticing that.. ?

Last edited:
" be more clear if you can."
Drones, by the very nature of their construction, a propeller in each corner, naturally fly in the horizontal attitude and there are built in safety systems that, when the drone is flying itself (especially taking itself off) monitor this attitude and if it is not horizontal will not allow that command to be executed. You on the other hand can override these safety systems on take off from a slope but you'll notice that the moment the drone leaves the earth it will automatically go horizontal.

I've wondered if it would be better to take off out of my hand rather than from uneven ground (which I have also had to do a couple of times), and then hand catch rather than landing? Any one have advice about successful take-offs out of your hand?

Sometimes it is a real problem getting a horizontal piece of ground to take off.
Usually I use the original P4P box and if the ground is uneven I put something under the box to put it in horizontal position.
It is useful in high grass too.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I always carry my drone, P3A, around in a case and I use that as a take-off pad and I usually hand catch.
You'd need to be VERY CAREFUL launching from your had, those propellers are very sharp!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
You'd need to be VERY CAREFUL launching from your had, those propellers are very sharp!!!
you really dont wanna mess with those rotating blades up.. it has happened to me once with my ex p3a (recent suddent fc death.. got another p3 as i will be forever a p3 and mavic lover) .. and still got the scars in my hand..

i was tryin to take it off from my hand automatically and it didnt left me to do that.. did a csc and it took off.. in all these years that im flyin with these machines it has never happened to me to hold it and press auto take off because my other hand wasnt completely free at that moment.. so i left coffee down to do csc.. ?
odd things happen in every pilot level right?? ?

Reactions: Capt KO
Angle of drone, attitude, shown onscreen. Don’t know the cutoff angle though.

Phantom hand takeoffs are a 2 man operation. Often required on a boat; (In Atti mode, to keep it from fighting takeoff position, then switch to GPS after liftoff).

Angle of drone, attitude, shown onscreen. Don’t know the cutoff angle though.
there is no cut off angle in p3 .. they will try to level themselves even if you turn them 90 degrees or upside down.. i ve seen a video with a man who had attached some kind of sticks to the legs showhing the p3 turning slowly upside down.. to my surprise it didnt stopped the motors.. it was trying hardly to level itself.. when that man left the stick drone lost height but it recovered quickly and hovered in place as nothing had happened.. wondering what logs were saying.. how hard its imu had to work to keep the whole thing up in the air.. and since p4 the right for a drone to recover because of a wind gust or sth has vanished.. meh
Phantom hand takeoffs are a 2 man operation. Often required on a boat; (In Atti mode, to keep it from fighting takeoff position, then switch to GPS after liftoff).
i would never do that.. i really do love boat filming but home point is always at the sore.. starting up on a place without movement.. and then hand take off.. drones hates dust or little things getting inside their equipment right??

i would never do that.. i really do love boat filming but home point is always at the sore.. starting up on a place without movement.. and then hand take off.. drones hates dust or little things getting inside their equipment right??
[/QUOTE]
Onboard, I don’t have the option of a shore homepoint. RTH is set to hover. Can hand catch in gps but difficult to takeoff. If any movement, the drone will fight or collide with something during liftoff. Onshore, I normally use a landing pad especially on sand. And a wetsuit to keep out debris.
Enjoy ?

The problem of taking off from a boat is the home point. Obviously there is not any as the boat is moving. And even if not it can slightly changing the position. So the only logical solution is hand catch landing. But even this is a tricky operation if the boat is moving. Absolutely this is not a one man operation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31