Take off and land from steel vessel. Atti mode?

Reaction score
If I want to take off from and land on a steel vessel, can I use ATTI mode to bypass any compass interference issues? ESP on Landing? Or do I still run the risk of dangerously erratic behaviour?

If I want to take off from and land on a steel vessel, can I use ATTI mode to bypass any compass interference issues? ESP on Landing? Or do I still run the risk of dangerously erratic behaviour?
Using atti mode would cause the flight controller to ignore4 GPS data but it won't have any effect on the compass.
The Phantom can't fly without a good compass and you'll still have the issue.

Using atti mode would cause the flight controller to ignore4 GPS data but it won't have any effect on the compass.
The Phantom can't fly without a good compass and you'll still have the issue.
Thank you. The concise clarity I was looking for.

Be careful. I've tried taking off from a bridge a few times in Atti and once airborne the bird went nuts and I had to fight it back down with hard landing. Needless to say I didn't try again.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I've been flying from steel ships and structures in normal flight mode with all sensors on, without much trouble. I tend to launch from my hand above my head. This helps a little with strong magnetic interference from the structure I'm standing on.

I have to fly from a steel ship - a large working vessel , and will need to take off even if the compass calibration message is present. I can hold the drone high above my head and power up/launch but the P4Prov2 wont power up when there is a calibration problem? Any one else work on large steel vessels and fly drones regularly? Thanks in advance for any advice

I have to fly from a steel ship - a large working vessel , and will need to take off even if the compass calibration message is present. I can hold the drone high above my head and power up/launch but the P4Prov2 wont power up when there is a calibration problem? Any one else work on large steel vessels and fly drones regularly? Thanks in advance for any advice
Your best bet is to use ATTI mode where the compass is not used by the Flight Controller. In ATTI mode the FC won't correct the P4PV2's location; i.e. it will drift with the wind.

If you can't use ATTI mode then hand launching could help. Check that the orientation of the P4PV2 on the Go Apps map to see if it is consistent with the actual orientation. If it's inconsistent that means FC's heading is incorrect and fly away and/or erratic flight is possible. And, a compass calibration at the launch site or anywhere else won't change that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers