Tablets (That old chestnut)

Reaction score
I am going around in circles trying to work out what the requirements of a tablet are.

DJI has a list of recommended tablets/phones but it does not say which element makes them suitable.

I contacted DJI with the specifications for a 10" android tablet I have in mind. i pointed out that my phone is not listed in their recommendations but works just fine. They just pointed me back to their recommended list without explanation.

Is it the wireless element? Is it something light-bridge requires? Why can't they just list what "it" is?

The seller of the 10" tablet could not tell me if it would work with the drone or not.

Why doesn't the IPad work but the IPad mini will?

I list here the specs for the pad in the hope someone here can tell me if it will work or not.

Specification:
ITEMS Quad-Core 10.1 inch Android 5.1 Tablet
Operating System Google Android 5.1 Lollipop
Display 10.1 inch
Resolution 1024*600 pixel
Touchscreen Capacitive multi-touch screen
CPU Allwinner Quad-Core A64 1.5GHz
GPU SGX544MP2 GPU
Memory 1GB DDR3 RAM
Storage 16GB + 16GB Built-in tf card(avaiable storage around 20GB-24gb, The rest occupied by system)
Wi-Fi support;IEEE 802.11 b/g/n WLAN wireless
3G not built in; need external 3G dongle
Ethernet support; need external Ethernet adaptor
Bluetooth support; built-in bluetooth 4.0
Audio Stereo speakers;built-in microphone
Audio Format aac,mp3,wav,wma etc.
Video Format MKV,WMV,MPG,MPEG,DAT,AVI,MOV,TS,MP4 etc.
HD movies 2160P; 1080P;720P etc.
Expansion Ports micro-sd; micro-USB; 3.5mm headphone; mini HDMI
Battery 4800mAh Li-battery
Battery Life About 4-5 hours
Camera Front 0.3MP+ Rear 2.0MP dual cameras
Expansion Storage Support;up to 32GB T-flash/micro-SD card
Color Black and White
G-sensor support
HTML5 support
Adobe Flash Player support;Flash player 11

Any advice appreciated. I am guessing there is a specific section for this post and I did look, but could not find it.

It's a bit short on DDR memory, processing power too, and will have to work hard to keep the screen up to date. Any high spec Android stuff works OK, but particularly anything without bloatware. It's worth investing in something a bit decent to get the best out of the equipment. I can use my Nexus 7, but my Nexus 6 phone is streets better because it's got decent memory and processor.

Reactions: Heff
It's a bit short on DDR memory, processing power too, and will have to work hard to keep the screen up to date. Any high spec Android stuff works OK, but particularly anything without bloatware. It's worth investing in something a bit decent to get the best out of the equipment. I can use my Nexus 7, but my Nexus 6 phone is streets better because it's got decent memory and processor.

Thank you ;O)

Same thing with me and litchi. It works fine on my ulefone power so I tend to buy a tablet with the same specs as that. But yet some tablets with that spec won't work like the tab 3. Such a minefield AHHHH

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

My phone is the Oukitel k6000 pro (£100 or so) and it rocks a connection but isn't listed in DJI recommended list. It's just a bit small at 5.5"

Of course, frustratingly, my IPad mini is a first generation so not quite up to it. :D

Guess it will have to be a Third generation used IPad mini. That will mean buying Litchi again.

Ah, to have enough money to get what I would like :O)

I have had my P4 for about 3 months now and I still get just as excited opening that polystyrene case as I did on day one.

I am going around in circles trying to work out what the requirements of a tablet are.

The seller of the 10" tablet could not tell me if it would work with the drone or not.

Why doesn't the IPad work but the IPad mini will?

The Phantom 4 works great with all current iPads, iPad Pro, and iPhones. With the Apple mobile devices, there are only a few configurations that DJI has to worry about and they are entirely generational, and there is only one version of the operating system. You can predict the DJI compatibility with Apple devices based on the year the thing came out because it's based almost entirely on the processor, which is upgraded about yearly. My Phantom 2V+ worked great on my iPad Mini with A5 processor but my Phantom 4 won't even come close. OTOH, it works pretty well with the A7 processor on an iPad Mini 2 and 3, and really flies on my iPad Mini 4 with A8 processor. OTOH, different Android mfgrs throw on all kinds variations on the hardware configurations, and there are several versions of the open-source operating system. What a crap shoot for DJI.

FWIW, it works well with my iPad Air and with my iPad Pro, as well as my iPhone 6s.

IOW, it's very much about the ability of the device to process the HD video. You need a CPU and a system-on-chip processor with a certain amount of power. That's easy to reconcile against the few Apple mobile devices, and can be hard when there are more than a dozen Android devices from a dozen manufacturers. That's a messy landscape and I sure don't blame DJI for having a hard time figuring it out.

Last edited:
"FWIW, it works well with my iPad Air and with my iPad Pro, as well as my iPhone 6s." ............ You lucky man (I assume?) The Air and Pro are out of my price bracket for now but one day maybe.

Thank you for the advice. It's all interesting stuff and just confirms my attempts to get something for nothing is clutching a bit :)

"FWIW, it works well with my iPad Air and with my iPad Pro, as well as my iPhone 6s." ............ You lucky man (I assume?) The Air and Pro are out of my price bracket for now but one day maybe.

Thank you for the advice. It's all interesting stuff and just confirms my attempts to get something for nothing is clutching a bit :)
My iPad Air has a cracked screen, so after I found that my old iPad Mini (original) wouldn't hack the Phantom 4, I started using my iPad Pro. That was very cool, but it's a relatively heavy beast, so just the other day I picked up an iPad Mini 4 16g/wifi/cellular as a refurb from the Apple store. It was $429. You wouldn't have to have cellular, in which case the reburbed iPad Minis sufficient to run a Phantom go as low as $209 (link to Apple Store) for a Mini 2. Those refurbs from Apple are very nice. New case, new screen, new box, 1 year warranty from Apple. You would never be able to distinguish them from a brand new iPad.

Just for feedback - I bought the Mi Pad II off EBay £80 secondhand. A week old allegedly. It works fine

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31