Summer heat took out my ipad in mid flight!

Reaction score
Ok, don't panic. This happens with iOS devices. It happens to my iphone if I put it on the console of my car in direct sunlight. Well, today, I was flying with my ipad air 2 and it shut off. I didn't panic. I just hit home button on the remote and quickly grabbed my iphone that was in my pocket, stuck it on and pulled up the pilot app.

Make sure you guys are setting home point and giving it time to do that. If this happens, don't panic. Just hit home button and makes sure it beeps. Wait for the bird to come back. If you have a spare device, you can use that. I could of landed it fine without anything..just make sure you have piloting skills to do that and not rely on FPV features. Good luck this summer.

Thank you for sharing. This looks good enough to be a sticky, if you ask me. :D

Good post Delirious,

I've had it happen on iPad mini. A sunshade is helpful, but the heat kills battery life too.

It's going to be well over 100 F, out West; I'll be flying in the early mornings.

Ok, don't panic. This happens with iOS devices. It happens to my iphone if I put it on the console of my car in direct sunlight. Well, today, I was flying with my ipad air 2 and it shut off. I didn't panic. I just hit home button on the remote and quickly grabbed my iphone that was in my pocket, stuck it on and pulled up the pilot app.

Make sure you guys are setting home point and giving it time to do that. If this happens, don't panic. Just hit home button and makes sure it beeps. Wait for the bird to come back. If you have a spare device, you can use that. I could of landed it fine without anything..just make sure you have piloting skills to do that and not rely on FPV features. Good luck this summer.

If you lose signal from the bird it will engage RTH automatically. You need to make sure you set your altitude for RTH and make sure it is NOT on auto land.

If you lose signal from the bird it will engage RTH automatically. You need to make sure you set your altitude for RTH and make sure it is NOT on auto land.
I didn't loose signal from my remote. I lost the ipad totally. The remote was still connected and the phantom doesn't know that the ipad went down. It will keep flying if you are in range. anywho. It would be good advice to set RTH height appropriate for the location you are flying. If it went down between obstacles, It would fly back into one. Set that return home height appropriately guys.

Happens to me all the time if I fly mid day using a Nexus 4. Not really sure what we can do about it - it's just the safety system kicking in and preventing your phone from overheating and damaging something

Fortunately I find morning/sunset to be the nicest times to fly anyway :)

This is true. I have a very slim clear rubber cover on my ipad. I bet that's the issue. I just am not comfortable without it though. I flew 4 batteries and on the 5th, the Ipad shut off. But funny thing was that I had moved to a new location on the 5th flight which would of cooled off the ipad in transit.

Ok, thanks.
Just went to an air2 after problems with a mini3.
Flew yesterday. it was 85 partly sunny. The back of the iPad
got quite warm, but went through two batteries without a problem.
Was using a sunshade.
Had hoped it would be a little warmer for a better test.
I never had the mini shut down, but the video would really lag after 6 or 8 minutes.

Want to say I've seen a post someplace where it was stated success with an air2 around 100 degrees.
I don't function well in that sort of heat either.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I had reboots if I enables hardware acceleration in the app with the air 2. I disables that and it stopped. I was just using normal CPU without GPU acceleration. If I'm understanding this right. Look to see if on the air 2, it's disables. Works fine without it and might cut down on heat.

I had issues with my iPad mini 2 above about 90º, partly the ambient heat and partly the heat produced by an overworked processor, so I sold it and just set up my Air 2 today, much faster and powerful processor so hope it fairs better, the screen is certainly nicer than the Mini. It is 110º freaking degrees out right now so I am parked in front of the AC with a cold beer. The Delta Breeze (natures AC) is supposed to be back tonight so I hope to fly in the morning. It was 76º at 7AM, ****, can't even go for a run.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Hapemd

Lg phone, even in a cold day, temperature warning and shuts off ,is a nightmare!

Weeee, Time travel, via an old forum thread.

How do I get back, tomorrow? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yes, but you can begin a new thread and make it current! Hahaha

No problem Señor, mucho gracias...
By the way, envy your warm weather, as winter has arrived here, and it's -0*C most of the time.

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers