Stuck on ATTI....?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been trying for weeks to get my new Phantom 4 Pro+ airborne - without success. There are a number of issues, but this one is critical. It is set on ATTI and therefore will not lock into satellites. The Flight Mode switch seems to have no effect, nor can I select P Mode in my controller. Any suggestions? BTW, if there is anyone reading this in the Seattle area, I would be happy to pay you whatever you ask to meet up with me and help get this thing going. Thanks. Kevin in Seattle

Last edited:
If you can't change from ATTI to another mode I would believe you have a defective controller and I would not trust it.

That said, you must have something else going on here.
Are you using the DJI Go 4 app?

Also note that the bird will default to P mode on startup. Even if you start the bird in the ATTI mode, it will actually be in P mode until you move the switch from ATTI to S or P and back to ATTI.

Lastly, if you change the Go app to beginner mode, the only mode that can be used is P.

Like you requested, I would find a person that can help you get started on the right foot, and please read the manual and maybe watch some DJI tutorials.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, Traveler.

I have the Phantom 4 Pro +, so yes, I am using the app, built in to the controller.

And yes, I have gone through the manual many times, and find it poorly written and largely inadequate for problem-solving. The tutorials are helpful, but don't include any real troubleshooting; they assume that everything works as designed.

As far as I can tell, it stays in ATTI, despite restarting, changing the Flight Mode switch or putting it into Beginner Mode.

Yes, it would be good to work with someone that has hands-on experience. I'm hoping I'll be able to connect with someone locally.

Thanks again.

If you can't change from ATTI to another mode I would believe you have a defective controller and I would not trust it.

That said, you must have something else going on here.
Are you using the DJI Go 4 app?

Also note that the bird will default to P mode on startup. Even if you start the bird in the ATTI mode, it will actually be in P mode until you move the switch from ATTI to S or P and back to ATTI.

Lastly, if you change the Go app to beginner mode, the only mode that can be used is P.

Like you requested, I would find a person that can help you get started on the right foot, and please read the manual and maybe watch some DJI tutorials.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, Traveler.

I have the Phantom 4 Pro +, so yes, I am using the app, built in to the controller.

And yes, I have gone through the manual many times, and find it poorly written and largely inadequate for problem-solving. The tutorials are helpful, but don't include any real troubleshooting; they assume that everything works as designed.

As far as I can tell, it stays in ATTI, despite restarting, changing the Flight Mode switch or putting it into Beginner Mode.

Yes, it would be good to work with someone that has hands-on experience. I'm hoping I'll be able to connect with someone locally.

Thanks again.

Welcome!
I haven't used the built in screen myself, but I know some have mixed feeling about it vs a personal device, i.e., iPad, but the operation is the same.

When the controller, app, and P4 are turned on, do you have a green light on the controller?

Last edited:
Welcome!
I haven't used the built in screen myself, but I know some have mixed feeling about it vs a personal device, i.e., iPad, but the operation is the same.

When the controller, app, and P4 are turned on, do you have a green light on the controller?

Yes, the green light goes on, so they are communicating. Shouldn't the Flight Mode switch simply toggle between ATTI, P and S? Or is there another step required?

Yes it is that simple. Just as I am sure you are doing, turn everything on, starts by initializing the imu, then it will connect to gps sats, then it will show green at the top of the screen with an indication it's in gps mode. As you toggle the switch on the top of the controller, so should the same point on the screen change to reflect the mode changes.

It really is as easy as you think.

Maybe you got a bum unit.

Traveler,,I'm not sure but what happens if in the app,he hasn't enabled multi mode?
02c5d6d4a4c9d470ada3124fa021021d.jpg

Would it have that effect of trying to remain in attic mode? Just a thought,

It would remain in GPS Mode.

Everything starts in GPS Mode. Even if you land in ATTI and restart. It would warn you about the switch position, but unless you toggle in and out of said mode it will lift off in GPS. Kind of a safety thing built into the software.

The multiple flight mode switch on screen is also just another safety profile.

Schaf....,
You don't happen to be at one of the polar regions do you, lol.

Only ATTI works there.

Have you done an IMU calibration and a compass calibration?

Looks like he's in California,,
Hi All - I have spent 2 days in the California desert trying to get my new P4P+ off the ground.

Two problems: one, the GPS strength icon is not illuminated on the Controller, so no matter what I do, I am dead in the water. I am in open flat country - so interference is not an issue.

Second issue : I get the following Navigation System Error : Check Redundancy State. Nowhere, in the manual or online can I find anything about this.

Basically, I have just bought the most expendive paperweight of my life. Any suggestions? Thanks.

**** auto correct,atti mode

Can't see his screen obviously, but it sounds like the flight mode switch is not changing any function as he moves

Try this for yourself and you will see that if you have it in ATTI Mode and then change the screen multiple flight screen setting to off, it will default the bird back to GPS.

Good idea though.

Thanks,,yea I was just throwing it out there,,I hate it when people have problems and can't find answers,,I think you got it right,,calibration,calibration,,

Reactions: Traveler
Hi All,

I have been trying for weeks to get my new Phantom 4 Pro+ airborne - without success. There are a number of issues, but this one is critical. It is set on ATTI and therefore will not lock into satellites. The Flight Mode switch seems to have no effect, nor can I select P Mode in my controller. Any suggestions? BTW, if there is anyone reading this in the Seattle area, I would be happy to pay you whatever you ask to meet up with me and help get this thing going. Thanks. Kevin in Seattle

Curious, but when you said, "It is set on ATTI and therefore will not lock into satellites.", are you saying your satellite count is zero? The reason I ask is because the phantom will track satellites regardless of Mode selected. During normal operation a person decides to switch to ATTI, it doesn't stop collecting GPS data, it just stops using it for maintaining position. You can imagine how slow it would be to change back to GPS mode and wait for a sufficient number of stats to find itself. It's always on.

Another indication that the Mode switch is working or not is the obstacle avoidance indicator at the top of the screen. Turn on all OA setting in the app and when you leave GPS Mode the OA section at the top of the screen will turn red.

Just trying to give you a more data to evaluate your condition with.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have been trying for weeks to get my new Phantom 4 Pro+ airborne - without success. There are a number of issues, but this one is critical. It is set on ATTI and therefore will not lock into satellites. The Flight Mode switch seems to have no effect, nor can I select P Mode in my controller. Any suggestions?
I can't see this mentioned, so I have to ask just to eliminate the obvious.
Are you outdoors where your Phantom has a clear view of most of the sky?
If you are indoors under a metal roof, your sky view is blocked and your Phantom will not show any satellites.
If your Phantom has no sats or not enough sats it will be in atti mode until it gets enough sats.

Reactions: Traveler
Could very well be bad GPS module in the bird.

It could be, but the OP described a situation that sounded like the mode switch was not having any change on the settings. So I was last trying to find out if the OA went from normal to red when going from P to A or S. if that doesn't change then the switch is doing nothing.

I have the phantom 4 pro + also. I took mine out charged up the battery's did a firmware update and the thing was flying perfectly. Sometimes it does take time for it to lock up to the satellites but never more than 30 to 60 seconds. So right off the bat it seems as if you have something defective.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on my problem. It is great that a forum like this exists, with people willing to help complete strangers.

As for my machine, I've tried everything - for going on three weeks. Something is clearly wrong with it - and I have returned it. I'm simply not going to beat my head against the wall any longer. Again, thanks to all who took the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31