Stubborn lens cover

Reaction score
Just got ND filters to improve my photography. Tried to unscrew lens cover (righty-tighty, lefty-loosy) to replace with ND filter, it won't budge. Even tried using the prop removal tool for additional leverage.
1. What am I missing to take the lens cover off?
2. What can I use to take it off?

Hate to try using PB Blaster, WD-40, or other petrochemical product to loosen the threads, or channel-lock pliers for additional torque. Suggestions please, I'm out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas.

Scott

Just got ND filters to improve my photography. Tried to unscrew lens cover (righty-tighty, lefty-loosy) to replace with ND filter, it won't budge. Even tried using the prop removal tool for additional leverage.

Hate to try using PB Blaster, WD-40, or other petrochemical product to loosen the threads, or channel-lock pliers for additional torque. Suggestions please, I'm out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas.

Scott
Just grip it very lightly while turning. Personally, I use a rubber band to help with the grip but there have been many other suggestions:

http://www.phantompilots.com/search/17271318/?q=Remove+lens+cover&o=relevance

Reactions: JoBe
Echoing the advice above, use something with good grip like a rubber band or washing up gloves to help turn the filter. Whatever you do, don't squeeze hard...it makes it impossible to get off.

Phenomenal advice and links to previous posts. Don't know if it was the new-found information, but just tried to get it off (with a VERY light grip) and it came off no problem. Maybe the 2000' altitude change between where I was and home, but I'm going to give you credit for it, and with MANY thanks! This is the help that makes this board great for those of us new to the equipment..

Time to go fly and experiment!

Reactions: Oso
I have taken these off 3 x P3As. The first was easy, the second difficult & the 3rd nearly impossible My advice is to us a matchstick to put a couple of small drops of wd40 around the seam where the thread joins. Go & have a beer, come back, wipe whatever is left off with a paper towel, and you will probably find it comes off easily, even just using the paper towel to grip the uv filter.

Scott

Use latex gloves. You're welcome.

I use my wife's jar opener rubbery thing in the kitchen drawer. Never never use any kind of a garage tool. squeezing it just makes it lock on harder

I broke my prop 'tool' trying to get the cover off lol, months later I still never got it off

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers