STROBON Cree® LED Strobe Lights

Just got my latest shipment of lights Mike! Fast as usual! Thanks @msinger There's no way you can not see my birds at night now :D

I just got my Phantom 4. So trying to learn as much as I can when I ran across this post. When you guys are saying the 107 pilots what does that mean? I have registered and got my FAA number. Is the 107 the pilot lisensce/test I read about? I am just curious for just hobby flying to I need these? Or is it for a higher level then what I need to worry about? Sorry for being off topic a little.

They are awesome looking lights and mounts. I may buy some no matter if I need them or not :)

I just got my Phantom 4. So trying to learn as much as I can when I ran across this post. When you guys are saying the 107 pilots what does that mean? I have registered and got my FAA number. Is the 107 the pilot lisensce/test I read about? I am just curious for just hobby flying to I need these? Or is it for a higher level then what I need to worry about? Sorry for being off topic a little.

They are awesome looking lights and mounts. I may buy some no matter if I need them or not :)
Also if flying commercially and you want to fly at night you need to apply for a waiver with the FAA to be able to do so. I did it, takes about 4-5 weeks to get approved.

At night when the drone is several hundred feet away can these be used to tell the orientation of the drone?

Just got mine (white and red) and put them on with Velcro until I decide on a more permanent mount. This is where I stuck them for now.
51f04d29c4288cb60b3c093e79b65c3b.jpg

76003ca0e59f15febcb92816ce65e7f6.jpg

My first thoughts...WOW!! Forget several hundred feet. Go for several thousand. In the sunlight I could still see the white at about 1000 feet but at night I was about 2000 feet out (couldn't go much further in the area I was in) and it looked like a small plane in the distance. I asked my wife to come out and try and find it and she spotted it immediately.

I think the leg mounts look much better but after seeing how bright they are my concern is that it will interfere with the camera. With where I put the red one it only showed up on screen at full speed forward and even that was only a little bit.

On the back... Does anyone see an issue mounting it to the back of the camera mount, Basically right below where it is now?

The mounts can be rotated any direction and be put on any part of the landing gear so you have a lot of placement options.

Here is what I did for my Inspire

If Im not mistaken the human eye is the most sensitive to green light but in the daytime I wouldn't be to sure.

I prefer the Red during the day and white at night if just using a single color at a time. I found this bit of info over at RC Groups regarding daytime strobes:

"I think green is actually a poor choice despite the sensitivity of the human eye. There's so much green coming from the sun that I believe it would be drowned out by all the sun's green (despite the sky appearing as blue...that's just how brains interpret it. It is actually mostly green if you use a spectrograph).

By that logic white seems pretty bad too, but I think white is often used because of the sheer brightness achievable with technologies that produce white light outweigh that problem.

Red might actually be the a good choice due to the contrast despite the reduced sensitivity of the human eye since there's little in the sky that is red. However, you pay for that great contrast with reduced eye sensitivity which makes it difficult to detect at a distance, but when you see it, it is really obvious. Whereas with white light you can see it at long distances but it takes time to figure out what you're looking at."

I prefer the Red during the day and white at night if just using a single color at a time. I found this bit of info over at RC Groups regarding daytime strobes:

"I think green is actually a poor choice despite the sensitivity of the human eye. There's so much green coming from the sun that I believe it would be drowned out by all the sun's green (despite the sky appearing as blue...that's just how brains interpret it. It is actually mostly green if you use a spectrograph).

By that logic white seems pretty bad too, but I think white is often used because of the sheer brightness achievable with technologies that produce white light outweigh that problem.

Red might actually be the a good choice due to the contrast despite the reduced sensitivity of the human eye since there's little in the sky that is red. However, you pay for that great contrast with reduced eye sensitivity which makes it difficult to detect at a distance, but when you see it, it is really obvious. Whereas with white light you can see it at long distances but it takes time to figure out what you're looking at."

No science. Just my own eyes on one test. I saw the white at 1000 feet on a sunny day but honestly I don't think I would've seen it if I didn't know it was there. When I rotated around I could not see the red until I came in a couple of hundred get closer. Can't say about the other colors. Again this is just one person's middle aged eyes and one flight. I really initially wanted them for daytime but seeing what they look like at night or had inspired me to do more night flying.

No science. Just my own eyes on one test. I saw the white at 1000 feet on a sunny day but honestly I don't think I would've seen it if I didn't know it was there. When I rotated around I could not see the red until I came in a couple of hundred get closer. Can't say about the other colors. Again this is just one person's middle aged eyes and one flight. I really initially wanted them for daytime but seeing what they look like at night or had inspired me to do more night flying.
Sounds like a fun video I need to work on :D I'm interested too.

Just got mine (white and red) and put them on with Velcro until I decide on a more permanent mount. This is where I stuck them for now.
51f04d29c4288cb60b3c093e79b65c3b.jpg

76003ca0e59f15febcb92816ce65e7f6.jpg

My first thoughts...WOW!! Forget several hundred feet. Go for several thousand. In the sunlight I could still see the white at about 1000 feet but at night I was about 2000 feet out (couldn't go much further in the area I was in) and it looked like a small plane in the distance. I asked my wife to come out and try and find it and she spotted it immediately.

I think the leg mounts look much better but after seeing how bright they are my concern is that it will interfere with the camera. With where I put the red one it only showed up on screen at full speed forward and even that was only a little bit.

On the back... Does anyone see an issue mounting it to the back of the camera mount, Basically right below where it is now?
Exactly where I placed mine....

Just ordered two white and two red strobes and four, Version 2 mounts. Thank you both for providing this service, and I'm very happy to support it!

Bruce

Just ordered two white and two red strobes and four, Version 2 mounts. Thank you both for providing this service, and I'm very happy to support it!

Bruce
Thanks Bruce! Your order will ship in the morning.

Reactions: Brockrock
Awesome service from both of these guys folks. I ordered last night around 7 PM, and I have now received emails from both informing me that the items are on their way. If you're 'on the fence' about this purchase, I say give them your support.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor