Strobe Location

Reaction score
I am planning on mounting a strobe on the sides of my Phantom 4 and was wondering if such placement would cause interference with the side sensors ??

Thanks

Strobe Placement.jpg

I put one on each of two legs using velcro so I can visualise orientation at distance on my P3P and have had know problems, I have found them very useful at dusk and night flying.

It shouldn't placed where you show in the image, but why on the sides? Any particular reason? I put mine, on the rear legs and angle them at about 45 degrees outward such that turning you can still see them in the rear.

Reactions: Numone
It shouldn't placed where you show in the image, but why on the sides? Any particular reason? I put mine, on the rear legs and angle them at about 45 degrees outward such that turning you can still see them in the rear.
I already have red/front, green/rear. I'm planning on adding clear strobes on each side. My far distance eyesight is not that good.. so if I see green, the bird is going away, red, it's coming back, and clear it's basically not coming or going !

Do you have picture(s) ??

I bought some clips on amazon. Just double side the strobe on to any leg in any direction. They lock tight but can come off as needed.

9b08fed18132ec9c2153f7b21ec56069.jpg

Reactions: lil boss
I bought some clips on amazon. Just double side the strobe on to any leg in any direction. They lock tight but can come off as needed.

9b08fed18132ec9c2153f7b21ec56069.jpg
Awesome, Thank You.I will check them out. Have a great day ! Cheers !!!

I fly all the time at night for professional work and I find only two white ones are needed, one on top and one on the bottom. All you need is velcro to keep them in place. Remember that the more you put on the bird, the more you have to fiddle with turning them on and off and since that isn't easy, keep it simple. With this configuration I never lose sight of strobes no matter the orientation in the air and of course, the upper one is for more conspicuity for manned aircraft.

20170803_135846.jpg

20170803_135700.jpg

I fly all the time at night for professional work and I find only two white ones are needed, one on top and one on the bottom. All you need is velcro to keep them in place. Remember that the more you put on the bird, the more you have to fiddle with turning them on and off and since that isn't easy, keep it simple. With this configuration I never lose sight of strobes no matter the orientation in the air and of course, the upper one is for more conspicuity for manned aircraft.

View attachment 86271

View attachment 86272
Thanks for the pics... I'm thinking about going simple... (I seem always to create overkill) You all have a good night !!

View attachment 86271

View attachment 86272
I would really be concerned since the GPS is in the center on top of your Bird! anything Electronic (COULD) cause you problems, electronics get really weird at altitudes and moisture in the air....nothing is for sure. But that's the last place I would want anything electronic....50+ years in the Communications Buss. makes me leary....then again you might not have an issue.

I would really be concerned since the GPS is in the center on top of your Bird! anything Electronic (COULD) cause you problems, electronics get really weird at altitudes and moisture in the air....nothing is for sure. But that's the last place I would want anything electronic....50+ years in the Communications Buss. makes me leary....then again you might not have an issue.
The strobe is not placed directly in the center over the gps. Not at all worried about that situation in this instance.

I use the Lume Cubes that attach to the landing gear AND THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!!
Just food for thought. I used Lume Cubes as well attached to the legs. But since I decided to try the cree's I won't be using them any more. The weight on the cubes plus the brackets is approx 300 grams!! Quite heavy. As opposed to 2 crees including the velcro are only approx 10 grams total and they are equally as bright. The Lume cubes only have one advantage, and that is for constant light IMO. I do have other uses for them though.

I already have red/front, green/rear. I'm planning on adding clear strobes on each side. My far distance eyesight is not that good.. so if I see green, the bird is going away, red, it's coming back, and clear it's basically not coming or going !
Standard aircraft lighting is red on the left wingtip, green on the right, and clear strobe on the top and/or bottom that is visible from all directions.

The thing is that the phantom is so small you won't appreciate visual color separation at much distance, nor will manned aircraft, should they spot our birds . That's why only white for our purposes is preferred because it is the most visible. One on top and one bottom is a perfect combination for a few reasons. It's redundancy. The bottom one is always in view to the drone pilot no matter what the orientation of the bird. And also, you do get an orientation cue from the configuration. If like me, you have the front green lights go off automatically during recording, if you see nothing but strobe your orientation is nose in. The top and bottom strobes eliminate the light blackout that can happen in that instance.

White, top and bottom. Anything more isn't needed, imo.

The thing is that the phantom is so small you won't appreciate visual color separation at much distance, nor will manned aircraft, should they spot our birds . That's why only white for our purposes is preferred because it is the most visible. One on top and one bottom is a perfect combination for a few reasons. It's redundancy. The bottom one is always in view to the drone pilot no matter what the orientation of the bird. And also, you do get an orientation cue from the configuration. If like me, you have the front green lights go off automatically during recording, if you see nothing but strobe your orientation is nose in. The top and bottom strobes eliminate the light blackout that can happen in that instance.

White, top and bottom. Anything more isn't needed, imo.
Understood, Thank you for your thoughts,,, Have A Good One !!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl