Stratux use with drone flights

Reaction score
Hey guys, curious if anyone has used Stratux or similar ADS-B receivers for commercial drone flights. This would be just to see ADS-B equipped aircraft in the vicinity of my flights, to increase situational awareness of the surrounding airspace and possibly get a heads up on aircraft that may pose hazards for your drone operations?

If so, do you guys use Foreflight or similar aviation apps for this? Or is there another mapping/software platform you can run with it and make the device self contained? The Stratux device is easy to build, and this seems like a straightforward and simple project to help make commercial drone flight safer - especially in regards to helping get waivers for airspace such as Class C, D, and B. I realize not all small aircraft have the ADS-B transponders at this point, but the deadline for full implementation of GA is fast approaching and a lot of people have been getting them installed as of late.

I've thought the same, nice to add situational awareness if it can be effective. I live near a pretty busy hospital helipad and small airfield with tower. I've seen new pilots flying too low and emergency runs blazing by at lower than 500' as well. Having some sort of heads up alarm to drop to treetop levels might save a bad incident and make the unit worthwhile.

I wonder if software vendors of "flightbag" utilities could be coaxed to sell a crippled version for stationary use only? The subscription fees are a concern for non-flying use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj