Stranded Crash On Business Building (No permission to access property)

(I met a security guard who was cool enough to go out of his way to check the roof where he is not allowed to be and has confirmed the drone is on a ledge which is difficult to access (need a ladder etc) but would not provide me with the picture he took to prevent losing his job.)

I think we can all agree this was unfair to the guard, but the guard knew what he was doing and the consequence's it may have.

The local law enforcement couldn't help.!?

Contacting an attorney and possibly discussing this with a local news reporter may be your best options. Kinda like a David and Goliath type of scenario.

It's now about the guard losing his job and the owner of the building claiming damages and your property.

I agree. Unlikely birthday of Jan 1st and this is his only thread in the forum. If the Op will not answer basic questions about this event, I recommend the thread to be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Unlikely birthday of Jan 1st and this is his only thread in the forum. If the Op will not answer basic questions about this event, I recommend the thread to be closed.

How many threads have you started? 1? Imagine that.

I recommend folks mind their own business.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You recommend a thread be closed because he hasn't replied and has only one post. Perhaps he has other things to do?
Who are you to call for a thread to be closed?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Lets dial it back a little here people...

tumblr_mjwyl8s1UV1s0m6axo1_400.gif

(I met a security guard who was cool enough to go out of his way to check the roof where he is not allowed to be and has confirmed the drone is on a ledge which is difficult to access (need a ladder etc) but would not provide me with the picture he took to prevent losing his job.)

I think we can all agree this was unfair to the guard, but the guard knew what he was doing and the consequence's it may have.

The local law enforcement couldn't help.!?

Contacting an attorney and possibly discussing this with a local news reporter may be your best options. Kinda like a David and Goliath type of scenario.

It's now about the guard losing his job and the owner of the building claiming damages and your property.

Media doesn't care for drones, I doubt going that route would work out in the OPs favor.

I can see the headline now "NEW RISK FROM DRONES FALLING FROM LEDGES ON TO AIRPLANES!"

Media doesn't care for drones, I doubt going that route would work out in the OPs favor.

I can see the headline now "NEW RISK FROM DRONES FALLING FROM LEDGES ON TO AIRPLANES!"

I have to disagree. The media loves drones. It gives them ammo to make so many uninformed statements. The media has much competition to get the story out first and get your attention. If you were in that business, you would do the same. A story of a family flying some rc thing at the park is boring. Saying a drone almost brought down an airliner will get your attention and you will watch. That's their job.

Reactions: N017RW
The OP has yet to answer simple questions of where this is or if he is registered. If in the U.S., flying in a location where such an event can occur shows lack of respect for the hobby guidelines and is a threat to all flyers.

There are too many facts missing from this story. If this is a real occurrence in the U.S., I'm guessing the local LE is turning the crashed bird over to the FAA (which is why he has not gotten it back.) This entire scenario wreaks of the OP doing something very negligent in the first place, although he refuses to post necessary details that would reveal that. This is exactly what this community does not need. If you merely lost your drone in this process while causing someone else to lose their livelihood, consider yourself lucky.

Media doesn't care for drones...

That's just recycled nonsense.
If you're referring to mis-quoting or other factual errors in reporting, that occurs with any 'subject' reported on.

That's just recycled nonsense.
If you're referring to mis-quoting or other factual errors in reporting, that occurs with any 'subject' reported on.
I agree. I have learned to not immediately take cover when the chicken first screams the sky is falling.

UPDATE: 09/21/2016

I was given a quote by the building who has recovered the (apparently unharmed/damaged drone) of $250 recovery costs and $2000 roof repair costs and they will consider giving it back.

So I contacted the police department (FLORIDA) and they stated that this sounded ridiculous and someone went to the building to try and help me get it. The management said they are not giving it back and even if I pay it they don't plan on voluntarily giving it to me. The officer said she saw the drone and it was not in bad shape but that there was some damage done to the roof but still thinks they are over reacting but she could not get it back herself and said that I would probably have to take it to court or contact the news/attorney to see if they could help persuade them to give it back. The officer wasn't exactly sure if they had to give it back or not and just stated that it is a civil matter now.. but I don't think holding my drone is civil?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

For those of you so worried - yes it was registered and there was no one occupying the building at the time except 1 security guard. Please stop filling the thread with your E-POLICE replies. I know I messed up, and it's been a lesson to deal with. I also tried to protect the guard with everything I had.. They looked at cameras though. He really should not have been fired to begin with. I have since contacted him and referred him to the company I work with.

Thank you everyone :)
*I will post any pics as soon as I receive them in regards for any interested* Plus crashing video if/once I get it.

Till' then!
-Zeph

Well, if you really want to call them out... you can use some lawyer parlance and that the claimed amounts are "too excessive and too remote" to be considered and offer to have a roofing contract of your choosing evaluate the damage and produce their own estimate.

If indeed this company only wants to be "made whole" then their alleged room damage repaired to spec should make them happy.

If they are trying to bend you over and make money on the deal (as it appears they are) then asking to bring in your own contractor might make them back down on the amount. They probably think they have a $10K piece of gear in their possession.

That Video was sick.... too bad he was saving a cheap drone. Would love to see someone do that with a P4! Like the one that was on the ledge of the skyscraper. That would have been an epic rescue.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Have you gotten a lawyer yet?
No I haven't - Not sure it would be worth it? I'm looking up filing a 'complaint of replevin' (recovery of property) but it will cost $230 to file. I'm thinking of filing as pro-se.

Bad idea?

Lawyer up , if you want your Drone back , might even get some kind of settlement from them for them keeping your property hostage for bogus repairs . I can see them getting compensated for the retrieval , but no way is a Drone going to do any building damage . You should at least talk to a couple lawyers just to see what they say .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj