Stock birdside antenna replacement

IMG_0576.JPG
Here's the mod I did useing the RC antennas from Dji controller.

You get the 5.8 stand offs? I think they help.
75c086ec073a16beaeeff140befeb1fd.jpg
Actually going one step further, I'm going to go with two 5.8 GHz dipole mod. Currently in the mail to my place.

Reactions: Matts175
So your going to crack case and go with 5.8 dipoles William?
Yes, looked over a few YouTube vids on the process, so I think I'm good to go. I've hit the 5 km mark so far, shooting for 6 km's. Was pushing the battery % with 5 km, once I landed in a farmers field with only 7% left and had to walk through the corn fields to find it. But now I have my battery mod done too, so that adds like 8 to 10 mins of flight time.

Last edited:
Yes, looked over a few YouTube vids on the process, so I think I'm good to go. I've hit the 5 km mark so far, shooting for 6 km's. Was pushing the battery % with 5 km, once I landed in a farmers field with only 7% left and had to walk through the corn fields to find it. But now I have my battery mod done too, so that adds like 8 to 10 mins of flight time.
Did you use the battery clip or drill and solder? Your really getting into this.. haha

Did you use the battery clip or drill and solder? Your really getting into this.. haha
The battery clip thing, it's been working very well. Now I just have to work through some issues I'm having with range. Had a small crash like two weeks ago, completely my fault. Hit a small tree branch at dusk about 10 to 12 feet up and it came down to the ground with a thud. Only visible damage was a small cracked leg. But my signals, both 2.4 and 5.8 seem to be off now. So I'm going to open up the gimbal and the body and check all connections.

Reactions: k9time
Please post pics once installed.
Not too pretty, but they should work better in this position. Only tried one short test flight with this setup, but it was before I bent them with this configuration. Before the dipoles were straight out and too close to each other, I think it messed with the 2.4 signal (was getting leak at 2000 meters), but my 5.8 signal was full. Will try a flight tomorrow with this new setup.

Attachments

• IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 363
Not too pretty, but they should work better in this position. Only tried one short test flight with this setup, but it was before I bent them with this configuration. Before the dipoles were straight out and too close to each other, I think it messed with the 2.4 signal (was getting leak at 2000 meters), but my 5.8 signal was full. Will try a flight tomorrow with this new setup.

Nice. Let us know how she performs.

Is that hot glue around the 2.4's? Think it helps protect the connections? I was thinking about doing that myself but wondered if there was a better product.
Not hot glue, just some Loctite all purpose gel glue. I broke one once because that spot is a bit fragile.

Not hot glue, just some Loctite all purpose gel glue. I broke one once because that spot is a bit fragile.
Ok thanks. I broke one too so will pick some up and gel them. Didn't think the hot glue would do much good..

Nice. Let us know how she performs.
Not like it was before, not sure what the issue is but the video down-link is cutting out between 1700 and 2000 meters. You might remember I was getting 5000 meters before. So next setup will be to keep the new 5.8 dipoles and switch out the 2.4 dipoles with the new antennas your trying from the P3A.

Reactions: Matts175
Glad to see this thread is so alive and well! I solved my distance problems... It starts with a 'M', ends with a 'c' and has a 'v' in the middle :D
Even so, I am interested in trying this P3A/P antenna mod.

Reactions: k9time

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94