Stick sensitivity doesn't work?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I purchased a new P3P at the start of the year and have had some problems with it.

My main issue is that although expo works, when I adjust stick filtering settings in the app it has no effect at all. I have a little expo on the controls already but am trying to make the aircraft less touchy so I can get the really smooth movements required to get decent video footage. I've adjusted the stick filtering all the way down to 20% only for the aircraft to handle exactly the same as it does on the 100% setting too. This problem is kind of making the drone pretty useless for getting decent looking video clips although it doesn't affect stills obviously. It should be slowing it down and making it more docile shouldn't it?

Also my phantom very rarely week change into FPV mode, I have the C2 button set to change it and it does nothing, same for the touch button in the Go app too. It's kind of stuck in follow mode, which is the better mode to be stuck in at least. It has only changed modes about 2-3 times out of probably over at least 30-40 battery cycles/flights so far.

I also quite often lose the camera settings/menu and the ability to record video and take pics whilst flying as all that menu/button area on the Go app dulls out/goes grey and the 2 transmitter buttons no longer respond too, this is with the factory sd card.

All other functions work as advertised.
I'm only new to DJI but so far their product seems a little glitchy and not completely finished. Any tips or advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Also had this happen yesterday too, cut and pasted from FB post:

Was out taking some pics before on 'duplicate raw and jpeg' mode. When i got home and checked them the jpeg's were 4000x3000 ~5mb but the dng's were only 1200x900 roughly, but still ~20mb like normal. Anyone have any ideas as to how this could've happened?

No dig intended, but I assume that you made all changes with everything on and connected? After making the changes, did you try shutting down and rechecking the settings when you powered back up.if the settings show back at the default value, that might give some insight into whether or not the changes are really being made. I know that you hate to hear it (me too when I'm trying to solve a problem), but it worked fine for me. Slowed things down for smoother pan while shooting video.

Thanks for the response Richard. Yes I apply the changes with everything on and when I've shutdown the settings are still there next time I fly (20% sensitivity for example). It's really frustrating because gain and expo have an effect/work but sensitivity does nothing to the drone even though it stores my settings. It's near on impossible to get nice smooth pans with yaw at what would currently be 100% sensitivity. I want to be able to make it as slow as I've made the gimbal tilt speed.

Under advanced settings, go into EXP and adjust the rudder setting. As you change it, you should see the shape of the curve change. As the curve bows out more and more, it represents that the rudder moves slower fro the same stick movement (exactly what you want)

I already have some expo on my yaw and pitch/roll controls mate, I just want to make the yaw channel less responsive to the sticks because although expo works kind of ok I don't like the non-linear response you get when trying to pan. I.e: Move the stick a little get very little movement, then move the stick a little more a get too much. I assume that stick sensitivity setting has the effect of reducing the overall output of a channel, I'd like to use the setting for flying indoors too, so the thing doesn't handle like a race horse. In other words I want to be able to input full stick and have the drone move only a fraction as fast as it would normally. The expo setting can't give me that unfortunately. I hope I'm not wrong in assuming that this is what stick sensitivity is for. Thanks again Richard, it's very hard to find any info on this on the net most posts usually cover expo only.

yeah, I'm running out of ideas too. What do you have the yaw gain set at?

Lol. Yaw gain is set to 100%, same as the other channels. The only thing I can think of is maybe uninstalling DJI GO and reinstalling to see if it changes anything. Maybe I should redo the firmware too, is there a way to reinstall the same version aircraft firmware without rolling back to an older version then updating again?

Sent them this, not going to hold my breath on a fix though, after all I've read about their customer support...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I just want to confirm what does the 'Stick Sensitivity' setting does. My understanding is that it should make the aircraft less responsive and slow it down but not like the Expo setting. So if I select 50% sensitivity, when I move the sticks 100% of their travel I only get 50% of the response that I would normally? Is this correct? The reason I ask is because when I adjust my stick sensitivity even all the way down to 20% I get no change in the way my aircraft handles when flying. If I adjust the Expo or Gain settings I can see a noticeable difference, but Stick Sensitivity does absolutely nothing. This is making it very hard to get smooth pans for video footage even with some Exponential setting applied, my aircraft is only good for photos at the moment. I would also like to be able to slow the aircraft down at make it more docile for flying indoors too. How can I go about fixing this issue please?

I have 3 other problems with my quad too, I will cut and paste from my internet forum post below. Could I please have some answers as to the possible cause and fix to them?

1) Also my phantom very rarely will change into FPV mode, I have the C2 button set to change it and it does nothing, same for the touch button in the Go app too. It's kind of stuck in follow mode, which is the better mode to be stuck in at least. It has only changed modes about 2-3 times out of probably over at least 30-40 battery cycles/flights so far.

2) I also quite often lose the camera settings/menu and the ability to record video and take pics whilst flying as all that menu/button area on the Go app dulls out/goes grey and the 2 transmitter buttons no longer respond too, this is with the factory sd card.

3) Was out taking some pics before on 'duplicate raw and jpeg' mode. When i got home and checked them the jpeg's were 4000x3000 ~5mb but the dng's were only 1200x900 roughly, but still ~20mb like normal. Anyone have any ideas as to how this could've happened?

Ok, on my older version of Go (2.8.6), the range for gain is 80 to 120%. Can't check it right now, but gain should control yaw speed/per stick movement. So backing the gain down should give you slower speed for a given amount of stick movement.

Richard, I just tried it indoors with Expo set at max for yaw and pitch/roll and it has made it a lot more docile to handle as long as I don't move the sticks too far (which shouldn't be a problem). I think I'll just leave it at that for now, thanks for helping me out mate.

Ok, on my older version of Go (2.8.6), the range for gain is 80 to 120%. Can't check it right now, but gain should control yaw speed/per stick movement. So backing the gain down should give you slower speed for a given amount of stick movement.

Oh okay, I was of the understanding that Gain was like the gain on an RC Heli, as in how responsive the aircraft is to external factors like wind. When I tried flying mine on a low Gain setting for yaw (80%) it was real hard to keep the thing flying in a straight line, like it couldn't compensate for being blown around.

Richard, I just tried it indoors with Expo set at max for yaw and pitch/roll and it has made it a lot more docile to handle as long as I don't move the sticks too far (which shouldn't be a problem). I think I'll just leave it at that for now, thanks for helping me out mate.
Owen, not sure how much real help I gave you, but you're welcome. I know sometimes I just like to have a friendly ear to bend! Good luck. And if you get any feedback and info from DJI, please post it! We aren't the only ones who can't figure out exactly how those setting work and interact with each other thanks to the 'great' manuals that DJI provides:mad:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20