Status of No Fly Zone

Reaction score
Guys, where are we at currently with DJI's forced/push software which prohibit's Phantom's from taking off in no fly zones? Can we fly full manual to get around this? Just curious as I had sold my P1 to get an Inspire and then backed out when DJI baked in the noflyzone into the software.

There's no manual mode on the P3, and even if there were it wouldn't fix the problem. Only way to get around the no fly zones is to put tinfoil on the lid of your bird to block the 6 satellite lock, since that's what tells the FC whether it can take off or not.

New P3 will need no fly zones... and no height zones.... I´m thinking people reaching 1.2milles (2km) height with a RTF "toy".
I think it will have some height limitation to fly.

Regards

New P3 will need no fly zones... and no height zones.... I´m thinking people reaching 1.2milles (2km) height with a RTF "toy".
I think it will have some height limitation to fly.

Regards
The Pilot app appears to have a max height setting of 500m, so perhaps that's the height limit.

Thank guys I appreciate the quick responses. Looks like I'm going to have to look into an alternate brand for my next Quadcopter video platform. Living in DC area with a 14 mile no fly zone and all the other outlying airports is going to make flying DJI's products a no-go.

Thank guys I appreciate the quick responses. Looks like I'm going to have to look into an alternate brand for my next Quadcopter video platform. Living in DC area with a 14 mile no fly zone and all the other outlying airports is going to make flying DJI's products a no-go.
It's going to be *all* products that use GPS eventually, I promise. Except for the DIY options, obviously.

So have any of you tried outdoor flying while blocking your GPS signal? Obliviously you wouldn't get RTH feature etc... but since the P3 and Inspire are shown flying indoors I'm assuming the flight system still retains basic stability control features etc.... I guess the "tinfoil" idea would be my best bet if I were to stick with DJI.

This page:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision+_Flight_Limits
So have any of you tried outdoor flying while blocking your GPS signal? Obliviously you wouldn't get RTH feature etc... but since the P3 and Inspire are shown flying indoors I'm assuming the flight system still retains basic stability control features etc.... I guess the "tinfoil" idea would be my best bet if I were to stick with DJI.

With regards to the P2s...

No GPS = Atti. Mode.

According to this page (red text):
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision+_Flight_Limits

Blocking the GPS reception will defeat the 'zones' but you're limited to 120m height.

Reactions: flyingfrog
I can foresee No Fly Zones being baked into a majority of drone brands or becoming a law for drone selling in the US. It really does suck because I too live by a lot of no fly zones but if it means maintaining public safety, to include my own and my drones then I'm okay with it.

Alternatively, fly someplace where it's not literally a crime to fly a drone? As an airplane pilot in the northeast I hate the DC SFRA/FRZ too, but it's been over a decade and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj