speed error.. whats about??

Reaction score
hello there

i was flyin when a voice said "atti mode" .. camera wasnt horizontally level at all by that point.. when later ive uploaded the log i saw a "speed error" .. it didnt try to flyaway it was stable.. so ive landed it carefully..

here its the log.. whats the cause of speed error?? do i have to worry??

thanks
xrider

tryin to check what has caused the error according to other threads in here but i understand nothing.. gps was 14 all the time.. so it didnt drop gps signal.. compas mod was around 1500+ so it was not magnetic interference..

@cheddarman what are your thoughts??

It means that the flight controller has detected a conflict between the speed data from the gyro sensors and from GPS.
It was only a small temporary difference in this case.
wind gust?? if yes it seem that ive miscalculated wind velocity a tiny bit.. my previous p3 when it gave that it flew away.. right on a wall.. speed and yaw errors.. with so many imu and compass errors with the previous p3 im a bit more cautious with my new one so.. thats why im asking..

wind gust?? if yes it seem that ive miscalculated wind velocity a tiny bit..
It has nothing to do with wind.
The Flight controller calculates speed from GPS data and also gets speed data from the gyro sensors.
Both only indicate the speed of the drone and are not affected by wind.
For a short time, the flight controller identified different speed info from the two data sources.

It has nothing to do with wind.
The Flight controller calculates speed from GPS data and also gets speed data from the gyro sensors.
Both only indicate the speed of the drone and are not affected by wind.
For a short time, the flight controller identified different speed info from the two data sources.
magnetic interference maybe?? ive sent it to take some pics from a truck parking.. but it was high enough to detect such an anomaly.. bad gps reception maybe?? just tryin to figure out how it went for that short time into atti mode.. camera wasnt level all by that time..

magnetic interference maybe?? ive sent it to take some pics from a truck parking.. but it was high enough to detect such an anomaly.. bad gps reception maybe??
Nothing on the ground will cause magnetic interference to a drone in the air and the IMU and GPS aren't affected by magnetic interference anyway.

just tryin to figure out how it went for that short time into atti mode.. camera wasnt level all by that time..
It was because the FlightController couldn't be sure that GPS data was accurate due to the conflicting data it was getting.

Reactions: xrider
It was because the FlightController couldn't be sure that GPS data was accurate due to the conflicting data it was getting.
so.. bad gps reception because of reflected gps signals?? tryin to understand how this system works.. did another flight later today without any error..

There's no way to tell why it happened but it was brief and temporary.
thank you so mutch for helping me understand how that system works.. but because ive had flyaways in the past with another p3 (witch had a fatal error midflight) because of speed and yaw errors can i provide you the .dat file from that flight to be sure that everything its fine?? its just me not the drone.. i just want to be sure that its fc is fine and gave me that message because it was neccesary and not my fault..

ive had flyaways in the past with another p3 (witch had a fatal error midflight) because of speed and yaw errors
Yaw errors don't happen because there's something wrong with the drone.
They when the IMU's gyro sensor initialises with a wrong directional heading because the compass it takes its initial reqading from has been deflected by steel objects quite close by.
It's not a fault of the drone, it's a fault of the startup location.

it was happenning everywhere and almost always.. thats how i want to be sure with my new p3 that the speed error that it had reported was something normal and not a mulfunction..

so.. bad gps reception because of reflected gps signals?? tryin to understand how this system works.. did another flight later today without any error..
It is not possible for a GPS signal to be "reflected". The 30 satellites (24 in operation at any one time) are in orbit some 20,000K above the Earth so the signals are coming in vertically, but you do need line of sight with the satellites as the signal from them is very weak so they can be blocked.
Your drone, or any other device with GPS uses at least four satellites to work out its exact position.........Here, read this......

@cheddarman thanks for the link.. very interesting (ive had once 24 sats reported from my previous p3 and more times 23) .. but what happen when a drone flies with 20 sats locked and then it flies away without any reason?? i mean.. how a speed error can make a drone fly away or return to china as many people like to say?? ive faced that once with my previous p3 .. speed error and i hit csc and went about 300m to recover it.. it didnt stop the motors it was just spining around n coming down backwards way fast.. the second time it happened crashed towards a wall.. it said "atti mode" and "speed error" .. these flights are somewhere in the forum as i had posted these days.. i was fricked.. its been over a year since then.. ive got a new p3 but the fear of losin control its there.. somebody told me that "speed error" its reported because motors are spinnin at their limits or sth like that.. dont know if thats true..

Here is a description of a "speed error" by Fly Dawg on another forum. Basically, if you are flying forwards fast and then do a sudden stop by pulling the stick back, it can cause a speed error.......

From Fly_Dawg here, Oct 9th.....

"I think the Speed Errors were in relation to the extreme pich up to stop angle. That is quite steep for the forward speed. You may want to check your braking settings to avoid that. That being said, you can see below where you released full throttle and the extreme pitch up angle occurred. Immediately thereafter were the speed errors. I woulddn’t be overly concerned about it, other than to adjust the braking

@cheddarman i havent touch the factory gains.. but the angle flydawg describes in a combination with a crosswind and braking it may cause yaw error.. its a bit rare i think but it happens.. and there is a yaw error in that flight except fron the two speed errors.. ?

but what happen when a drone flies with 20 sats locked and then it flies away without any reason??
There's no answer to that.
Drones don't fly "away without any reason".
If you lose control of your drone, there will always be something that caused it to happen.
Flying with 20 sats (or 19, 18, 17 ...... etc right down to 6 sats will be about the same, as long as the sats are well spread in the sky.
i mean.. how a speed error can make a drone fly away or return to china as many people like to say??
A speed error doesn't cause you to lose control of your drone at all.
It's just a notification that the speed reported by IMU sensor is different from what the flight controller calculates from GPS data.

the second time it happened crashed towards a wall.. it said "atti mode" and "speed error"
That was caused by a Yaw Error and the notification of a Speed Error was as a result of what the Yaw Error did to your drone.
the fear of losin control its there..
DJI drones are very reliable, losing control is rare and usually caused by operator error.
somebody told me that "speed error" its reported because motors are spinnin at their limits or sth like that.. dont know if thats true..
It's not true.

@Meta4 veeeery informative and THANKS A LOT!! you are clearin A LOT of misunderstandings that ive got especially from dji mark .. and im still wondering how a dji representative gives false info to their clients.. anyway.. my worse pilot error back then when i had the previous p3 was flyin it knowin that its got serious internal flaws resultin in a barometer error midflight and losin it in the deep blue sea.. ill never forget that lesson.. and when ive got my brand new p3 i gave a promise to myself that im not gonna do the same mistakes again.. im gonna search for every single message it ll give.. fully understand its operation and learn how to be a better pilot.. you are helpin me A LOT .. THANK YOU SO MUTCH..

@Meta4 veeeery informative and THANKS A LOT!! you are clearin A LOT of misunderstandings that ive got especially from dji mark .. and im still wondering how a dji representative gives false info to their clients..
It would seem that the DJI representatives are (probably) not drone pilots. You must have noticed that there stock answer is to contact your nearest DJI repair centre! We on the other hand, and especially people like Meta4 are experienced pilots who have p[robably experienced similar problems that you over the years.
I must say rider, you do seem to have your share of bad luck with your drones, what with a sea dunking, speed errors and the like. I inherited my Son's P3A a couple of years ago and at 82 was somewhat afraid of the beast so took a loooooong time reading everything I could and then doing short flights in a field behind my house, practiced remote landings on a pad in. the field etc etc until I was fully aware of the drone's, and my capabilities!
Some of my efforts.....

Last edited:
@cheddarman ive got 5 years of flyin and over 550 hours in flight.. im a pro photographer and ive flown the half fleet of dji drones.. the funny part is that im still learning how do they work and there are still some gaps when something is off mid flight.. ex whats the correct response if a yaw error occurs because imu went off and not you fired it up in a magnetically dirt area.. surely its not do things in panic.. you want to land it as safe as you can.. but if a barometer error occurs or esc error or worse batt dies up there they are all fatal and you can do nothing to prevent the loss of the drone from happening.. ive lost my first p3 because of baro error.. i havent had since then something to show me that its gonna activate the self destruct.. that costed me as it was my first drone with A LOT of hours of flightime.. but.. before the fatal error happens there were so many incidents.. everything is here stored as a reference to someone that has the same issues.. maybe there would be some pilots thats gonna learn things from what happened to me.. and that makes me feel better..

i was too unlucky and lost it.. but now ive got another p3 whitch i want to learn more.. it doesnt matter if you are experienced or not.. some circumstanced makes you learn something new from your flyin buddy.. and i trully want to learn even if my co-workers likes to call me as an experienced pilot.. i feel the opposite.. they are flyin.. they ve got sophisticated tech on them.. i feel that im still learning from my mistakes and from errors and from other people posts in this forum.. you are my best company when weather isnt good for flyin and i really REALLY APRICIATE that..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj