Speed and Overlap for a video??? PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
I am a first time mapper. I need to photograph an area of about 40 acres. Without using expensive Drone Deploy and Pix4D....but using Microsoft ICE to stitch because it seems the best way to stich at the best value (free..) , I was planning on video shooting over the ground in a grid fashion at 7 mph, using cuved turns in Litchi.

Can someone please tell me what is the BEST speed in which to video for a stitched pano in Microsoft Image Composite Editor? What % should I overlap for a video? Are static photographs better?

This is going to be my first flight with a Phantom 4 (regular, not Pro or Adanced) at about 125 ft altitude, flat ground with sngle-story homes and oak trees at about 50 ft tall. One (1!) tree has a heght of 68n ft. So.....I figured 125 ft. to be safe?

Lastly, Can I stitch two videos and in Microsoft ICE, and THEN stitch each of those photos together? (I am assuming tht my flight may necessitate a battery landing and resumption of flight).....

A lot of Q's. I know. Please help me if you can!

Thank you very much!

-Lindsay

If you want to stitch numerous images to create a larger file, why are you shooting video? Not going to work. Switch to 'picture mode' and snap a grid of still images, all facing straight down and all in the same orientation. Overlap the scene you are shooting in each frame by about 30% with the adjoining frames. It may take a while for such a large stitch to process so be patient. This may take some practice to understand and then execute what I'm talking about.

If you are using an iPad you can also use DJI Ground Station Pro for your flight planning. Many of the flight mapping softwares will do the overlap even higher - like 65 or 70%. And as mentioned above, this would all be with still photos - not video.

I am a first time mapper. I need to photograph an area of about 40 acres. Without using expensive Drone Deploy and Pix4D....but using Microsoft ICE to stitch because it seems the best way to stich at the best value (free..) , I was planning on video shooting over the ground in a grid fashion at 7 mph, using cuved turns in Litchi.

Can someone please tell me what is the BEST speed in which to video for a stitched pano in Microsoft Image Composite Editor? What % should I overlap for a video? Are static photographs better?

This is going to be my first flight with a Phantom 4 (regular, not Pro or Adanced) at about 125 ft altitude, flat ground with sngle-story homes and oak trees at about 50 ft tall. One (1!) tree has a heght of 68n ft. So.....I figured 125 ft. to be safe?

Lastly, Can I stitch two videos and in Microsoft ICE, and THEN stitch each of those photos together? (I am assuming tht my flight may necessitate a battery landing and resumption of flight).....

A lot of Q's. I know. Please help me if you can!

Thank you very much!

-Lindsay

I don’t about the litchi (I haven’t used it yet”and I did see where you said the land is “flat” but just be careful of the land having a slight elevation and being so large of an area. Your starting point may be 125ft AGL and 32 acres away it may be 50 ft AGL but reading 125 ft on the remote.
I have played with the drone deployed app and how they were doing with the overlap. 40 acres is going to be a lot of battery. Other than that good luck that’s all I know.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
If you want to stitch numerous images to create a larger file, why are you shooting video? Not going to work. Switch to 'picture mode' and snap a grid of still images, all facing straight down and all in the same orientation. Overlap the scene you are shooting in each frame by about 30% with the adjoining frames. It may take a while for such a large stitch to process so be patient. This may take some practice to understand and then execute what I'm talking about.

Microsoft ICE will stitch videos to an image. I did a practice run over my business. I was pretty amazed. I was thinking video would be easier. I guess I just have to get out there and begin. I am a little stressed on the battery issue and have to stop in the middle of the grid, to take the bird back up and try to get it aligned in the same place. But....I'll see.

Thank you for your help!

It should work. A movie is nothing more than a stream of rapidly taken still photos, generally 30stills per second. It may take a while to merge that many stills. A 10 minute flight will generate 3000 pictures. If you are performing 2 20 minute flights, that’s 12,000 pictures. That could take a while processing, depending on the power of your computer, and the resolution of the video.

Another thing to consider is the shutter speed that will be used. For mapping, the highest shutter speed is best, as the drone never stops moving, and slower shutter speeds will slightly blur the image. Use the highest speed available, and the lowesst ISO, and shoot in good light. Don’t use any ND filter.

I would test image sharpness using the video approach against a series of stills where the drone was stationary for each exposure.

Good luck

It should work. A movie is nothing more than a stream of rapidly taken still photos, generally 30stills per second. It may take a while to merge that many stills. A 10 minute flight will generate 3000 pictures. If you are performing 2 20 minute flights, that’s 12,000 pictures. That could take a while processing, depending on the power of your computer, and the resolution of the video.

Another thing to consider is the shutter speed that will be used. For mapping, the highest shutter speed is best, as the drone never stops moving, and slower shutter speeds will slightly blur the image. Use the highest speed available, and the lowesst ISO, and shoot in good light. Don’t use any ND filter.

I would test image sharpness using the video approach against a series of stills where the drone was stationary for each exposure.

Good luck
I really appreicate your input, David_Cambridge! I am thinking that, because I will need the exif data off of certain areas, that I will be taking still photographs afterall. I will keep your advise in mind with the camera settings! Thank you. (I will definately follow up with video, and the trying this method...but just for now...)

I did have a question that I have not really started searching online to answer yet....but since you may answer me, I will start here.

Is there a way to determine how far apart my waypoints and rows should be (Litchi) in order to capture a 30% overlap at 125' altitude? It sure would be nice to get it pretty much set in the mission-planning program, rather than have to keep going out to see what works. Thanks.

Hello, Jeff. Just wondering if there is a way to get an approximation of how far each waypoint should be from each other, at 125 ft altitude, to get the 30% overlap? Or do I just need to keep going out and trying different settings?

Thanks, much.

You will have to do a calculation based on the field of view of your Phantom model. The field of views have changed as the models changed. It is a simple trig calculation using the FOV and the height to get the distance covered, and then adjust downward for the 30% overlap.

Is there a way to determine how far apart my waypoints and rows should be (Litchi) in order to capture a 30% overlap at 125' altitude? It sure would be nice to get it pretty much set in the mission-planning program, rather than have to keep going out to see what works. Thanks.
Forget Litchi.
It's not a mapping app and won't do what you need.
You said you'd played around with DroneDeploy.
That's a very good mapping app and will do a great job.
They have a free introductory program that gives you free maps for the first month.
After that, you can still fly DD free but you have to pay them to process the images (or get that done yourself).

Forget Litchi.
It's not a mapping app and won't do what you need.
You said you'd played around with DroneDeploy.
That's a very good mapping app and will do a great job.
They have a free introductory program that gives you free maps for the first month.
After that, you can still fly DD free but you have to pay them to process the images (or get that done yourself).

Well....Didn't know THAT! I had looked at the price and just could not bite off that big of a chunk of cash every month. I will certainly go and take another look. I appreciate you telling me this! (I appreciate ALL of your posts, really....)

You will have to do a calculation based on the field of view of your Phantom model. The field of views have changed as the models changed. It is a simple trig calculation using the FOV and the height to get the distance covered, and then adjust downward for the 30% overlap.
Now, where to get the field of view number?? I can probably find it somewhere! Thank you! Meta4 says it can't be done. And I will probably get the Drone Deploy for free for the month....but I also want to "try" this method. Although, Meta4 speaks from experience, I am sure.

Now, where to get the field of view number?? I can probably find it somewhere! Thank you! Meta4 says it can't be done. And I will probably get the Drone Deploy for free for the month....but I also want to "try" this method. Although, Meta4 speaks from experience, I am sure.
DroneDeploy (or any other mapping app) will do all the calculating, and fly a precise grid as well as take the photos so they have a precise overlap.
DD does the planning and their default suggestion is usually pretty good but you can customise as you wish
i-cTHqnxc-L.jpg

It does the flying and handles the camera control for you
i-Kc5PPcm-L.jpg

Which gives you all the images you need, shot at just the right spot to give the proper overlaps
i-Kn43TxZ-L.jpg

Just what you need to create a great orthophoto of your site
i-BS9NSds-X3.jpg

DroneDeploy (or any other mapping app) will do all the calculating, and fly a precise grid as well as take the photos so they have a precise overlap.
DD does the planning and their default suggestion is usually pretty good but you can customise as you wish
i-cTHqnxc-L.jpg

It does the flying and handles the camera control for you
i-Kc5PPcm-L.jpg

Which gives you all the images you need, shot at just the right spot to give the proper overlaps
i-Kn43TxZ-L.jpg

Just what you need to create a great orthophoto of your site
i-BS9NSds-X3.jpg
Thanks, man! You are the BEST!

To all who so graciously helped me out, THANK YOU! I used Drone Deploy, and tried several different mapping sites, and stitched in MS ICE, also. I used an 80/80 overlap, which may or may not have been overkill. I used the DD automatic settings. The map was terrific, and I am very happy with it! Shadows, probably due to the time of year, were a bit of an issue. I did fly at the sun's zenith. Next time I will try overcast, and see if that improves a bit. I will also begin to tweak actual camera settings as well.

This was a bit nerve racking, not knowing where to begin, and what advice to take....but everyone here helped me a great deal. And, as someone mentioned earlier, half the fun is in the learning. Thank you!

PhantomPilots ROCK!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl