Southern Illinois Recreational Flying

Reaction score
Anyone from Illinois having any issues with being able to fly in some of the very large state parks? I do my homework, have never taken flight until I get the go ahead. But so far out of the five state parks around me I get various answers of why I can't fly here. Their websites state nothing about drone use and they are not in any restricted airspace according to airmap. I honestly fell like I am getting the no answer because they don't 'like or understand' UAVs.

I do see any law or regulations from Illinois stating that I am not allowed, so I checked the DNR website, same thing no regulations or laws about drone use. At this point I always try to contact someone and a couple times I have received conflicting answers, one person says yes and the other says no its outlawed in all Illinois state parks.

I really don't want to do anything unlawful but its becoming really hard to find any place at all to fly. To the point where having a drone is becoming a paper weight, I guess that's what some people honestly want.

Does anyone have any tips or insight into what is in effect? I have adhered to all of the FAA guidelines and at this point I am trying to find a cool place to fly and not break any laws.

I apologize in advanced if this thread is somehow a duplicate, I tried searching and went through 9 pages and didn't find my answer.

Anyone from Illinois having any issues with being able to fly in some of the very large state parks? I do my homework, have never taken flight until I get the go ahead. But so far out of the five state parks around me I get various answers of why I can't fly here. Their websites state nothing about drone use and they are not in any restricted airspace according to airmap. I honestly fell like I am getting the no answer because they don't 'like or understand' UAVs.

I do see any law or regulations from Illinois stating that I am not allowed, so I checked the DNR website, same thing no regulations or laws about drone use. At this point I always try to contact someone and a couple times I have received conflicting answers, one person says yes and the other says no its outlawed in all Illinois state parks.

I really don't want to do anything unlawful but its becoming really hard to find any place at all to fly. To the point where having a drone is becoming a paper weight, I guess that's what some people honestly want.

Does anyone have any tips or insight into what is in effect? I have adhered to all of the FAA guidelines and at this point I am trying to find a cool place to fly and not break any laws.

I apologize in advanced if this thread is somehow a duplicate, I tried searching and went through 9 pages and didn't find my answer.
Flying in State Parks seems to be off limits around the country. I can feel your pain having visited Starved Rock many times while growing up in Illinois. That would be a cool mission! I only wish I had as much flat open land out here as you do.

Reactions: cory1768
Yeah I knew national parks were out, which stinks but its alright. But the State parks aren't listed as no fly zones on airmap or anywhere that I can find. Interestingly enough a staffer from Starved Rock was the one who told me all Illinois State Parks are out. but in another conversation I had with someone at the Illinois DNR said they were allowed in Illinois and they would get me in touch with the local ranger for a park in another county I was looking to fly at. So I am not sure if even staff at parks and DNR are on the same page...

Yeah I knew national parks were out, which stinks but its alright. But the State parks aren't listed as no fly zones on airmap or anywhere that I can find. Interestingly enough a staffer from Starved Rock was the one who told me all Illinois State Parks are out. but in another conversation I had with someone at the Illinois DNR said they were allowed in Illinois and they would get me in touch with the local ranger for a park in another county I was looking to fly at. So I am not sure if even staff at parks and DNR are on the same page...
So out here in California it's technically legal, however, they left a loophole and that is the State Parks were legal unless the local superintendent says otherwise. And they all say no.

So out here in California it's technically legal, however, they left a loophole and that is the State Parks were legal unless the local superintendent says otherwise. And they all say no.

Ah that is such a bummer, so many beautiful shots being missed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik