Sometime, one actually has to jump in...

Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of getting a quadcopter for aerial video for a long time...2 years, at least...

First, it was the "meh" cameras of the early Phantoms, than it was the "Wow! but very expensive" vibe from the Inspire 1 but now that DJI came up with this almost perfect balance between price and performance, I could no longer keep sitting on the fence.

So, I just pressed "buy" on a Phantom 3 + Extra battery + Extra pair of propellers + MC CASES dedicated backpack.

I am a very keen supporter of RTFM, so no worries there. There will be no "quick, let's get this thing in the air" rush, as far as I am concerned.

Being the first time I engage PhantomPilots with a dedicated purpose (...I participated earlier but on very shallow approaches...) the amount of information is daunting, as it always is in any hobby-dedicated forums.

I would be extremely grateful if you guys could help me with:

1. Pointing out common pitfalls for first time users of the Phantom 3
2. Direct me to threads here that you find crucial, regarding this model.

Thank you in advance.

PK

(PS: Don't think I am just idling asking you to do the work for me. I already marked these threads here and on the DJI forums:

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...tom-3-4k-plus-inside-the-hood-pictures.38694/

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-is-a-brutal-nightmare-on-galaxy-tab-s.45947/

http://forum.dji.com/thread-20790-1-1.html )

Last edited:
I would be extremely grateful if you guys could help me with:
1. Pointing out common pitfalls for first time users of the Phantom 3
The most important tip is to do your early flying in a large, clear open area well away from trees and buildings.
Obstacles are the number 1 killer of Phantoms.
The Phantom is very easy to fly and this fools some flyers into getting too adventurous too early.

To avoid a number of pitfalls, take small steps. Don't spend more than ten minutes in the air on your first day. Try a few simple take off and landings, test the RTH feature, and call it quits. Then think about what you did and let the butterflies in your stomach settle.

Only go out when the lighting is right and there is something worth photographing. Make a plan about how you will get the shot you want safely and efficiently. Don't be tempted to play with it like a toy. Learn to put the P3P away as soon as your objective for the day has been met.

Treating the drone like a tool from the beginning will prevent you from getting into the habit of mission-less flying, which only increases the opportunity for accidents while quickly developing a sense of boredom and disrespect for the photography tool that it is.

The Phantom 3 is super easy to fly, you will be amazed after your first couple flights. But beware, after 2-3 flights, the Phantom usually tricks people into thinking its invincible because its easy to fly. Thats usually when they go for a fly around the White House :). Take things slow.

Contrary to the advice given by Volantis, I would suggest that you spend quite a lot of time "playing" with it until you're really confident with the controls, and can fly it in all directions without getting muddled with orientation problems, and can position the P3 exactly where you want it. Once you're confident in flying, then you can concentrate on getting the photo/video.

Thanks...Keep them coming...:D

Meanwhile, starting with the basics, I am going through DJI's P3 tutorials on YouTube.

It seems that CSC is used to start the motors on the P3. However, the "How to Fly" tutorial shows a "land first, then left control down for 3 seconds or more" procedure to stop the engines.

I am correct to assume that the P3 is protected from these CSC combinations that might stop rotors in mid air, as it happens with in other models?

PK

From just getting mine in 2 weeks ago, I was completely amazed the first time getting it in the air. I was so excited I had to calm myself down to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

One thing I have noticed is that whenever my family and friends want to see it and watch it fly. You cannot try to "impress" them with your flying skills early on. Stay focused on what your doing and how your doing it. I get too caught up in showing them features that I almost hit a tree. They'll be impressed enough by the rig itself and its quality.

Another thing I have been noticing is that around every three flights, my app (Android - Nexus 7) will crash. ("Google play services have stopped working"), and the first time I freaked out thinking it won't come back on but every time it has. Exits for like 5 seconds and jumps right back up. I thought it would disconnect the entire quad-copter and it would crash. Not sure what you'll be using though. Good luck.

Reactions: PhantomKhan
Thanks...Keep them coming...:D

Meanwhile, starting with the basics, I am going through DJI's P3 tutorials on YouTube.

It seems that CSC is used to start the motors on the P3. However, the "How to Fly" tutorial shows a "land first, then left control down for 3 seconds or more" procedure to stop the engines.

I am correct to assume that the P3 is protected from these CSC combinations that might stop rotors in mid air, as it happens with in other models?

PK
If you do the CSC in mid air, the motors will stop and it will fall. The threads on this topic are quite entertaining with the long timers opposing the new pilots on the merits of keeping such a design.

If you do the CSC in mid air, the motors will stop and it will fall. The threads on this topic are quite entertaining with the long timers opposing the new pilots on the merits of keeping such a design.

Ok...Got it, thanks.

...but how about the instruction to "left stick down for 3 seconds" to stop the motors?...Does that only happen if the a/c is landed...?...What happens if we do it while flying?

PK

Ok...Got it, thanks.

...but how about the instruction to "left stick down for 3 seconds" to stop the motors?...Does that only happen if the a/c is landed...?...What happens if we do it while flying?

PK
Only takes effect when the Phantom is on the ground.......holding it down when flying just gives max descent speed.

Reactions: PhantomKhan and Oso
Don't be timid at takeoff. If you launch too slowly your Phantom could tip and take out a couple of props. I go full-throttle to about ten feet then I hover for a final once-over before flying.

Don't be timid at takeoff. If you launch too slowly your Phantom could tip and take out a couple of props. I go full-throttle to about ten feet then I hover for a final once-over before flying.

Right the kind of tip I was hoping to get...Didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Thank you. :)

Old school, get another less expensive drone syma x5c and build muscle memory.

Makes sense...So, I guess the "landed" status is given by the VPS...Thanks! :)

PK
"landed" status is determined by air pressure sensor. Most pilots don't have VPS enabled with the latest firmware.

What helped me with the reverse orientation when the nose is pointed at me is to think not in terms of "forward" and "backward" with the throttle stick, but rather "red" and "green" (my first quad was a P1, which had red rather than gold stripes to mark the nose direction). Forward on the stick is always going to be movement in the "red" direction (or "gold" for P3), and that also helped with the reverse left/right with respect to the throttle. Took me four collisions with trees to come up with that method. I suppose each person thinks of it in different ways, and some might find that unnecessary or unhelpful, but now it's how I think when flying ... especially since the P3 lacks (for now) the home lock function. I rarely have any "oops" moments with left and right anymore.

I would say to fly whenever you feel like it and not rely on arbitrary formulas in terms of how often or how long. Watch your battery level and stay clear of obstacles horizontally and vertically ... which is good practice even for veteran flyers.

Oh, and have fun ... I certainly do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl