Something Went TERRIBLY wrong

I know that, what i was saying is that i was surprised that they didn't object.
I'm just glad it worked out for you. And I'm not talking about having the drone fall from the sky and locating it. I'm taking about flying in very busy Class D with instrument approaches, beyond line of sight. Bad move, and I'm thankful there was no incident. I'm sure the BLOS was a misunderstanding on your part, and I hope you have it clear in your mind now.

My personal opinion is to stay clear of Class B Surface, Class C Surface, Class D, and Class E Surface, notification or not. It's busy, that's why it's Controlled Airspace in the first place. Inflight emergencies happen on a daily basis to all types of aircraft. When they do, and a pilot declares an emergency on the radio, that Airspace is cleared immediately and maybe even closed to everyone, big, small, fast, slow, high, or low, to allow the flight in danger to do WHATEVER he has to do to get on the ground safely.
Not having an Aviation band radio, you would not be aware of any of that going on.
With so many places to fly, I just cannot see the logic in needing to fly in Controlled Airspace. In your case, you could have gone less then (3) miles from where you were and flown in uncontrolled airspace, in relative safety.

One more thing to consider when doing any long range flying- unless you are at the edge of a body of water, which by its nature is flat, is trying to find a launch point that is as high or higher than the land you are flying.
Not always possible I know. But with a little research before the flight often you will be able to find better elevation to launch from.

People need to understand that near surface winds can typically increase exponentially with altitude especially where there is high surface roughness (like lots of trees). This means a doubling of altitude can result in winds 4 times as great.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I'm just glad it worked out for you. And I'm not talking about having the drone fall from the sky and locating it. I'm taking about flying in very busy Class D with instrument approaches, beyond line of sight. Bad move, and I'm thankful there was no incident. I'm sure the BLOS was a misunderstanding on your part, and I hope you have it clear in your mind now.

My personal opinion is to stay clear of Class B Surface, Class C Surface, Class D, and Class E Surface, notification or not. It's busy, that's why it's Controlled Airspace in the first place. Inflight emergencies happen on a daily basis to all types of aircraft. When they do, and a pilot declares an emergency on the radio, that Airspace is cleared immediately and maybe even closed to everyone, big, small, fast, slow, high, or low, to allow the flight in danger to do WHATEVER he has to do to get on the ground safely.
Not having an Aviation band radio, you would not be aware of any of that going on.
With so many places to fly, I just cannot see the logic in needing to fly in Controlled Airspace. In your case, you could have gone less then (3) miles from where you were and flown in uncontrolled airspace, in relative safety.

I fly light aircraft all the time, and IMHO your advise is extremely overcautious. Unless taking off or landing, aircraft are going to be above 500'.

I fly light aircraft all the time and I think this advice is far too conservative. Unless taking off or landing, airplanes are going to be above 500'. Even on an instrument approach procedure, you'll be very close to the airport before descending below 500".

I live in Class D (maybe C), and am about 4 miles away. I don't bother the tower for flights in the area. They are not going to care about a drone flying 4 miles from their airport at a couple hundred feet.

I consider myself a very safety conscious pilot, and the risk of hitting a drone doesn't concern me. The odds of me being down low, and actually managing to hit one is way too unlikely to concern me. Then, if a miracle did happen and there's a collision, to get hurt means severe aircraft damage. I wouldn't want a phantom to impact the windscreen at 150 mph, or strike the prop. Other than that, I can't picture severe damage.

Stay away from areas very close to airport (NFZ distance limits seem sensible), but being concerned about controlled airspace, when miles away from an airport is silly.

Reactions: HWCM
I fly light aircraft all the time, and IMHO your advise is extremely overcautious. Unless taking off or landing, aircraft are going to be above 500'.

I fly light aircraft all the time and I think this advice is far too conservative. Unless taking off or landing, airplanes are going to be above 500'. Even on an instrument approach procedure, you'll be very close to the airport before descending below 500".

I live in Class D (maybe C), and am about 4 miles away. I don't bother the tower for flights in the area. They are not going to care about a drone flying 4 miles from their airport at a couple hundred feet.

I consider myself a very safety conscious pilot, and the risk of hitting a drone doesn't concern me. The odds of me being down low, and actually managing to hit one is way too unlikely to concern me. Then, if a miracle did happen and there's a collision, to get hurt means severe aircraft damage. I wouldn't want a phantom to impact the windscreen at 150 mph, or strike the prop. Other than that, I can't picture severe damage.

Stay away from areas very close to airport (NFZ distance limits seem sensible), but being concerned about controlled airspace, when miles away from an airport is silly.
You live in Class D, or maybe C?
You don't bother calling ATC prior to flights in Controlled Airspace, , as required by law?
You consider yourself a very safety conscious pilot?
A mid air collision caused by your illegal actions does not concern you?
You feel that being concerned about Controlled Airspace is silly?
I have many words for your mentality; silly is not one of them.

You live in Class D, or maybe C?
You don't bother calling ATC prior to flights in Controlled Airspace, , as required by law?
You consider yourself a very safety conscious pilot?
A mid air collision caused by your illegal actions does not concern you?
You feel that being concerned about Controlled Airspace is silly?
I have many words for your mentality; silly is not one of them.
Do you ever exceed the speed limit in your car?Put fuel in your car while it is running? Swim without a life jacket? Go out in the rain without an umbrella?
Come on, calm down. Don't be so uptight. Take your eye glasses off, loosen your suspenders, untuck your T-shirt, put your pocket protector and your calculator away and stop worrying about what other people do.

Do you ever exceed the speed limit in your car?Put fuel in your car while it is running? Swim without a life jacket? Go out in the rain without an umbrella?
Come on, calm down. Don't be so uptight. Take your eye glasses off, loosen your suspenders, untuck your T-shirt, put your pocket protector and your calculator away and stop worrying about what other people do.
1. No I don't.
2. No I don't.
3. No I don't.
4. Lived in Alaska for 13 years so I pay no mind to the rain.
All you lawbreakers, and those that defend them, think you're so cute and clever.
It's a mental disorder that you all share, in addition to believing that we all break the law too, but just won't admit it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT