Someone shot my camera what do I do?

The Shooter broke federal law and as such you need to contact the Federal Aviation Administration and report the incident. They are the ones who have jurisdiction over this case. It is illegal to shoot at any aircraft in the air, regardless of aircraft type. It makes no difference where you were flying or any of that. You could possibly be held as well if you cover up the crime and do not report it to the FAA. You could be seen as a co-conspirator in the shooting by not turning this guy in. Do not get the camera fixed as the FAA will probably want to examine lens and picture/video. The FAA can call in the FBI/CIA forensics teams. There very well could be more to this shooting than just some neighbor pissed off. For instance, what if the shooter is trying to hide illegal activities such as drugs or even Terrorist activities, so your drone got shot in response. It may sound far fetched to some, but better to be safe than sorry.
There are plenty of locally applicable laws here. Reckless discharge of a weapon. Unlawful use of a weapon. Etc.

Reactions: Nesher
Reactions: andy_k
Rather impressive shot if I may say, no other marks on the drone so it was a rifle not a shotgun. Shooting up at something at a increased angle is difficult and looking at other video's I am guessing 200 feet distance.....Get a mover start looking for a new place you might not want to stay around there any longer.

Reactions: beb
Wow!
Definitely hold his feet to the fire thru the legal system. You should have all the evidence from the photo that is needed for a good case. If he had an issue, he should have likewise went thru the legal system, not vigilante justice.

Good luck and keep us updated. We all have a stake in this type of behavior and outcome.
I believe that a “registered” Drone is covered under the FAA flight rules and regulations we are constantly reminded of this when flying both in restricted air space, out of visual range and above 400 ft
However those same flight rules apply to people taking pot shots at “legal aviation”
So if you had covered all the FAA imposed restrictions on your flight the person who shot your camera was definitely suspect, and action should be taken. As a previous poster stated “what’s he going to shoot at next.? A Cessna or news chopper.

Rather impressive shot if I may say, no other marks on the drone so it was a rifle not a shotgun. Shooting up at something at a increased angle is difficult and looking at other video's I am guessing 200 feet distance.....Get a mover start looking for a new place you might not want to stay around there any longer.
looking at the photo of the guy with the gun, I'd guess less than half of your 200' estimate.

I'd also guess that something doesn't add up here - any bullet shot from a rifle at that distance would have gone straight through the camera and not just broken the lens

the OP hasn't returned to confirm the story of where he lives or padded the story out with any details.

The OP appears to be in the lower 48 and should be contacting his local PD to discuss this event with them.

There are some big problems in this response,

(1) you only HAVE to file a report if the damage is (A) $500.00 or greater to property other than the RPIC’s. So he is not legally required to file an incident report because the only item damaged was the drone. (B) If bodily injury or a loss of consciousness in a bystander occurs you must file an incident report with the FAA.

(2). The problem with the picture is it is too grainy and that there is no definitive gun, he could just be pointing at the drone.

(3) you’ve had the drone two days, is it registered with the FAA displaying the registration #? If not the pilot gets fines.

(4). If operation was within 5 miles of a major airport and pilot was operating without clearance pilot could go to jail.

Consider yourself lucky it just cost the lens. Also make sure you were operating within the limits of the law before taking any action against this neighbor. Unfortunately the pictures aren’t sharp enough to be able to see a gun or an air rifle so the burden of proof lies on you and you could get counter sued. Weigh your options before doing anything.
As a recreational pitot there is no requirement for him to register or report accidents... this unfortunately only applies to us P107 pilots. Just as in flying within controlled airspace - all a rec pilot needs to do is call ATC and inform of intent to fly... as a P107 pilot I have applied to FAA for permission to fly in Class C which covers my town and am still waiting for authorization... severely limiting my business.

Almost impossible not to fly over people. People are everywhere
And what it "over"? It means directly above. Unless you fly over a crowd, it's almost impossible to fly over a single person, it's very small point in space. So you weren't flying over this guy. The picture that I saw, would be hard to prove that the guy has a an air right. It would have been great if you'd been recording video. If you're also capturing on your device, you'll still have it, if say the guy had shot it down. I was recording video, had it being captured to my phone, had a bunch a warnings (caused by a loose prop, I can be an idiot), I unintentionally hovered in place for 30 seconds, and turn let it descend and land. Where my paranoid neighbor stole it. It was outside their condo, longer than I ever intended, they thought I was a peeping Tom. And even lied about where they had stole it from. The video changed the ending to this upside down. Instead of trying to convince everyone I wasn't spying, I had to pursuade the deputy I had called from not taking them both to jail. He watched the video, it was beautiful sunset Ocean front footage. He was blown away. THEN he watched it land, get picked up, and its journey to the neighbors condo. Then they said it landed on their balcony! That did it, the cop blew a fuse. They were going to jail. A middle aged vacationing, wealthy, a bit pompous, but I couldn't bear it. So I let it go. A video would help you, and if something goes wrong, can be a handy record.

Reactions: Nesher and KentA
Pretty sure that it is a federal violation to shoot at an aircraft (drone or otherwise). If you can determine who the miscreant is, you could report them to the police and the FAA.

I would call the cops and have him charged for discharging a gun in the city, town whatever and ask how you can get your camera replaced cause he destroyed private property. Are you breaking any laws where your flying cause up here in Canada we can't fly over homes or even closer then 75 meters from people. We also are not allowed to fly in built up towns cities etc.

We don't behave how we fly these Drones, soon will not be able to take them out of our homes to fly them anywhere.
Some countries already ban them all together.
Got make free space for Amazon to fly their Drones to deliver freely and safely you know!

Reactions: Nesher
We don't behave how we fly these Drones, soon will not be able to take them out of our homes to fly them anywhere.
Some countries already ban them all together.
Got make free space for Amazon to fly their Drones to deliver freely and safely you know!
Please don't imply the OP was doing something wrong. He may have been completely within his rights to be where he was. Without seeing the video or being there we really don't know.

I would call the cops and have him charged for discharging a gun in the city, town whatever and ask how you can get your camera replaced cause he destroyed private property. Are you breaking any laws where your flying cause up here in Canada we can't fly over homes or even closer then 75 meters from people. We also are not allowed to fly in built up towns cities etc.
So there might be two laws broken.... him shooting and you flying over his property... just saying.
You seem to be implying the OP was doing something wrong. Could you expand on that?
Im not emplying anything cause I don't know where he lives, if in Canada, yes he is breaking the law.....but so is the guy shooting the Drone. Now to expand and sounding like I'm stereo typing cause I'm Canadian and we don't have guns up here everywhere like in the USA. Anyone pulling a gun out in the city would be met here with a swat team and his *** hauled to jail. Gun control is extremely enforced and to even get a gun is like WHAT for... but sorry my comment about what I said about said about behaving is just a general statement to you and me including all of us who fly Drones.... we keep hearing about incedents more and more so yah, we don't behave it will come down to not fly at all. Perhaps if the law demands insurance like driving a car.... and it costs almost a $1k a year or face 3k fines without it, that could start breaking the hobby.

18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

Federal law. He should be charged, at the least let the local lawa Enforcement have a talk with him.

So there might be two laws broken.... him shooting and you flying over his property... just saying.

Im not emplying anything cause I don't know where he lives, if in Canada, yes he is breaking the law.....but so is the guy shooting the Drone. Now to expand and sounding like I'm stereo typing cause I'm Canadian and we don't have guns up here everywhere like in the USA. Anyone pulling a gun out in the city would be met here with a swat team and his *** hauled to jail. Gun control is extremely enforced and to even get a gun is like WHAT for... but sorry my comment about what I said about said about behaving is just a general statement to you and me including all of us who fly Drones.... we keep hearing about incedents more and more so yah, we don't behave it will come down to not fly at all. Perhaps if the law demands insurance like driving a car.... and it costs almost a $1k a year or face 3k fines without it, that could start breaking the hobby.
He is in the lower 48 so as long as he wasn't stalking the guy, he was most likely legal. People may not like drones but it doesn't give him the right to shoot one. There is another recent thread of a guy who shot one and downed it with a high power pellet gun. The drone had a similar picture of the guy shooting and he was arrested.

18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

Federal law. He should be charged, at the least let the local lawa Enforcement have a talk with him.
I agree, the least he should have the option to foot the bill for repair or end up with a 8k lawyer bill to fight from ending up with a criminal record.

Reactions: joeyjan19

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164