Someone shot my camera what do I do?

It's my understanding that there are drone enthusiast groups who aid state legislators on drone policy. In CT, we are prohibited from flying in state parks and state owned forests period..no exceptions.
An advisory group with DJI and the feds in DC did not go well, probably because of resentment that DJI is a Chinese firm. See A U.S. drone advisory group has been meeting in secret for months. It hasn’t gone well.

See, too, this link on The “Secret” Drone Task Force Named by the Washington Post – and Why Drone Operators Should Care .

Kind of a bummer, when you neighbor shoots your drone. We need a better media image. Publicizing this incident probably won't help.

Reactions: KentA
Yeah, but even if the OP WERE spying on his neighbor, that still wouldn't be cause for the neighbor to shoot at his drone, would it be?
Keep your hair on dude. Did I say he was spying? No. Read my post again, it was to do with the shot.

Next time fly with another drone pilot and video incident.

But what would keep the neighbor from shooting BOTH drones?

Also, their might be local privacy laws against photographing people with a drone.

And finally, since this was at the home of the pilot's mother, would you really want to upset your mother's gun-owning neighbor???

Don't get me wrong; I would like to see the perpetrator get busted. But as Falstaff noted, "The better part of Valour, is Discretion..."

Reactions: Nesher
Call the cops . Always , this guy committed a crime not you plus the monetary loss if you have a photo or Video of it even better . The guy should be arrested spend time in jail and make restitution. Shoot at a plane and see what happens

Don't know where you live, but measured responses are always better. Unless you've been fiddling with his wife, I'd establish a contact at the city/town level and try to get a change in public attitude. Avoid the testosterone approach. In the age of the NRA, there are too many of those already.

Reactions: JetLife
Keep your hair on dude. Did I say he was spying? No. Read my post again, it was to do with the shot.
I don't think he was saying he was spying but rather 'even if' he was spying, that wouldn't justify shooting.
To say it a bit different: For case of argument, let's say he was spying, that still doesn't justify shooting.

Reactions: randyvanscoy
Dondi58
Great comment
Flying is fun and can be profitable.
ScJerry
Great comment
Legislation has some valid points and most likely have not even flown a Drone, to experience the accomplishment it can bring.
At the beginning and end of flight, for work or play....we as pilot's have to know the rules and be safe, now if you bend the rules and have a negative flight...pull your big boy pants up and learn something.

Just to be understood, I do feel your pain over the shot...and I would confront the perp....Only after I think about Mom when I leave.

The class I took with Dart Drones...Highly recommended putting your device/tablet
In airplane mode.
Lesson 2 was knowing the no fly zones.

Have seen this past time grow rapidly in all areas from the weekend pilot, entrepreneurs, repairs and military have all grown.
And with the growth comes negativity.
Let's try and keep it clean and have fun.

Not cool, SMH
Your neighbors are either jealous or nervous....yes getting it fixed is 1st step...The net is full of choices for repair or parts....the cost is what might hurt....hopefully you got a pic or video.

Check b4 you start pressing charges....1st rule when registering UAV, no flying over people.
Almost impossible not to fly over people. People are everywhere

Reactions: JetLife
Shooting used to be more of a crime than droning. However in Canada getting a permit to carry a gun will be easier than flying a drone and the punishments greater if the paranoid government gets its way.

Shooting a gun in the air is a crime, because you don’t know where the bullet will come down. Flying a drone is not (yet.) Call the cops and file a report. Judge may order the neighbor to pay restitution. Good luck!

The Shooter broke federal law and as such you need to contact the Federal Aviation Administration and report the incident. They are the ones who have jurisdiction over this case. It is illegal to shoot at any aircraft in the air, regardless of aircraft type. It makes no difference where you were flying or any of that. You could possibly be held as well if you cover up the crime and do not report it to the FAA. You could be seen as a co-conspirator in the shooting by not turning this guy in. Do not get the camera fixed as the FAA will probably want to examine lens and picture/video. The FAA can call in the FBI/CIA forensics teams. There very well could be more to this shooting than just some neighbor pissed off. For instance, what if the shooter is trying to hide illegal activities such as drugs or even Terrorist activities, so your drone got shot in response. It may sound far fetched to some, but better to be safe than sorry.

Yes its wrong what he did - criminal damage.
But, where you hovering there, if you were flying by, it was a lucky shot. I wonder if he had the gun out already?
Begs quite a few questions here.

Yeah but we’re flying on his property, looking in windows? What?

Is the OP in the US?
If so, drones are considered aircraft according to the NTSB and subject to FAA rules. The guy shot at an aircraft. Seems to me this is a federal crime. Maybe you can use that fact to be reimbursed even if the legal system doesn't help.

I wasn’t spying I’m visiting my moms house and I was taking pics of the dogs and backyard from above and then someone shot it most likely neighbor
You weren't spying but your neighbour (with gun) is right in the middle of the frame and there's not a dog anywhere to be seen :D

Report him to the police and use your photos/flight logs as evidence

And don't hover in place for too long.. keep moving. What a bummer. You have video of the perp?

Which leads me to a question I've been mulling around in my head the last couple days.. is it possible to program in some simple evasive maneuvers? Hit a button in DJIgo or Litchi and the drone automatically executes a series of manuveurs to get you out of there?

Can't out maneuver a bullet unfortunately.

First thought is DO NOT USE A PHONE AND IF YOU DO SET AIRPLANE MODE. It is irresponsible to be flying while trying to take a call or disable it. Looking at photo it appears you are not even over his land and I note he has 4 wheelers and dogs which usually means noise.
Get your drone registered if it is not already and put a sticker on your drone with your info and a
statement that "This is a FAA registered aircraft and is against federal law to interfere with or
damage this aircraft". Then go to this guy and show it to him and advise that next time you will
file federal charges. I am a licensed aircraft pilot and have occasionally flown near or over farm
homes at about 500 feet. A farmer firing at me would result in him spending several years in a federal prison.

I do not fly my P4 low over peoples houses and would never hover right over them but by
federal law I have that right. (Yes I know we have states and counties making laws concerning drones which in itself violates federal law as that right is solely with the FAA.) Has anyone considered that hot air balloons float over homes at 150 feet all the time and the passengers usually have cameras. My thought is what are they doing on the ground that they don't want anyone to see. Smoking weed, sun bathing nude? Good luck after your repair. So far I have been lucky with just a broken prop.

Reactions: Nesher and Kpa5

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl