some people.

Reaction score
some people just ain't to swift.
friend 0f mine that I fly rc planes told me that last week he was in va and a relative of his showed him a drone he found upside in a field.
it was white.they checked it out on the internet and said it was worth about 1500.00
prop was broken.
there was a fcc number on it but no name and address.
they sent the fcc number to the fcc but have not herd anything back from fcc yet.
if the owner of the drone had put his name and address opn it he probably would have it back by now.

some people just ain't to swift.
friend 0f mine that I fly rc planes told me that last week he was in va and a relative of his showed him a drone he found upside in a field.
it was white.they checked it out on the internet and said it was worth about 1500.00
prop was broken.
there was a fcc number on it but no name and address.
they sent the fcc number to the fcc but have not herd anything back from fcc yet.
if the owner of the drone had put his name and address opn it he probably would have it back by now

I think you mean FAA, right? Not too swift :p

Seriously though, I doubt if the FAA is keeping track of the original hobby registrations anymore since the court has ruled it illegal to create new regulations for model hobbyists, a law made by congress in 2012. I'd be surprise if the FAA would even respond to a registration query since their funding for that program was cut, assuming it's a hobby FAA registration.

Last edited:
Nobody is perfect. Not everyone knows everything about their drone. Heck, I've only been flying for about two months and if you asked me, I probably couldn't find the "find my drone" feature myself.
So does that make me STUPID in your eyes? Or am I just new and still learning? Seriously, I don't know what your problem is. I can't tell if you posted this because your ego is on steroids, or if you have a legitimate value to share with the rest of the Phantom community, but don't know how to verbally communicate it in a respectful manner.

Fcc LOL! But your right he prob would have his drone back since you could have called him directly! And I'm sure it was a hobbyist if he did not have his name on it. So FAA is not gonna help here at all.

Nobody is perfect. Not everyone knows everything about their drone. Heck, I've only been flying for about two months and if you asked me, I probably couldn't find the "find my drone" feature myself.
So does that make me STUPID in your eyes? Or am I just new and still learning? Seriously, I don't know what your problem is. I can't tell if you posted this because your ego is on steroids, or if you have a legitimate value to share with the rest of the Phantom community, but don't know how to verbally communicate it in a respectful manner.
I'm unsure what post you're offended by, but I see no attitude or ego in this thread. Dirby is pointing out that it's important to put your name and phone number on the craft somewhere, even though you're not required to. That's common sense to most. Some pilots seem to fear putting their name on the craft in case they hurt something, or someone. That's kinda silly if you're putting your FAA number on there due to past FAA requirements, or current requirements if you're a Part 107 pilot. You might as well put your name and phone number on the craft and expose the truth, so if an honest person finds your lost drone, they can quickly and easily reach you. This may seem fundamental to some pilots, but others trying to hide their identity for some reason, seems naive, hence Dirby's message, suggesting to put your ID on the drones.

I made a sheet of Avery stickers with my name and phone number on them. Each time I buy a battery for my fleet, I put an ID sticker on it. If I were to lose a drone (knock on wood), if someone found it they would see the contact info when they pull the battery out of the drone. I would encourage everyone to do something similar, increasing the chance of quick recovery in a mishap.

G
I'm unsure what post you're offended by, but I see no attitude or ego in this thread. Dirby is pointing out that it's important to put your name and phone number on the craft somewhere, even though you're not required to. That's common sense to most. Some pilots seem to fear putting their name on the craft in case they hurt something, or someone. That's kinda silly if you're putting your FAA number on there due to past FAA requirements, or current requirements if you're a Part 107 pilot. You might as well put your name and phone number on the craft and expose the truth, so if an honest person finds your lost drone, they can quickly and easily reach you. This may seem fundamental to some pilots, but others trying to hide their identity for some reason, seems naive, hence Dirby's message, suggesting to put your ID on the drones.

I made a sheet of Avery stickers with my name and phone number on them. Each time I buy a battery for my fleet, I put an ID sticker on it. If I were to lose a drone (knock on wood), if someone found it they would see the contact info when they pull the battery out of the drone. I would encourage everyone to do something similar, increasing the chance of quick recovery in a mishap.
Great idea on putting your id on the battery John. Does the sticker ever get messed up or want to come loose because of hot battery?

G

Great idea on putting your id on the battery John. Does the sticker ever get messed up or want to come loose because of hot battery?
So far no problem, and it's been over a year. I install the Avery sticker on the flat surface of the white battery plastic on my P4s, never an issue except slight scratches when handling the battery, installing and removing, etc. On P3 batteries there's not enough white plastic surface for my label, so I install it on the gray battery plastic of the cell package, which gets hotter. Even that hasn't been a problem, they stay stuck on the battery pretty darn good. The grey flat surface of the P3 battery is recessed, so it's protected more from scratches when installing and removing.

upload_2017-9-2_8-7-2.png

Last edited:
So far no problem, and it's been over a year. I install the Avery sticker on the flat surface of the white battery plastic on my P4s, never an issue except slight scratches when handling the battery, installing and removing, etc. On P3 batteries there's not enough white plastic surface for my label, so I install it on the gray battery plastic of the cell package, which get hotter. Even that hasn't been a problem, they stay stuck on the battery pretty darn good. The grey flat surface of the P3 battery is recessed, so it's protected more from scratches when installing and removing.

View attachment 87732
That is a good idea and one that I was thinking about before the lifted the registration requirement for hobby use. I have 6 batteries for my MP and now 4 for my P4P looks like I need either get the label maker out or print on some Avery's.

John - is that a Red/White/Blue wrap on your battery/P?

Reactions: detroit_johnny
John - is that a Red/White/Blue wrap on your battery/P?
Yes, it's a wrap. Funny things about wraps, they might hide stress cracks in these craft, which are prone to cracks. My P4 was 3 days from the end of warranty when I decided I should inspect the craft, wasting my $20 wrap. Good thing I did because there was a big crack under the wrap, undetected with the wrap installed. DJI replaced the whole craft with a new one, not refurb. Yes, wraps do look cool, but beware of what they might hide, especially if you're buying a used drone.

Wow and I thought I had problems , nobody said anything to anyone that needed such a reply you may have just took it wrong.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Wow and I thought I had problems , nobody said anything to anyone that needed such a reply you may have just took it wrong.

No, I didn't take it personally, nor did I "take it wrong". I simply was trying to illustrate some logic that there are people at all levels of understanding and experience. I'm not sure why you took offense to this, nor was able to discern the sarcasm in my text, but as i said before, "nobody is perfect".
You thought you had problems? If you're not a an over the hill Disabled Veteran on disability, count your blessings.

I do the same with id stickers. I use the permanent ID labels and they Stick forever! I made an Indesign template with smaller boxes so I print a sheet and cut them a bit smaller , they end up like 1/4" x 1/2" or so. Small enough to put on anything, been using them for years on camera gear, bags etc. as far as durable, I've had one on the bottom of my travel mouse I use every day for a few years , had to replace it once.

I understand both sides of this but people truly do not know how important a few extra bucks and minutes can make. I am one of them assuming I was "safe" to fly not being very far away from my P4P. However, I lost it quick with no warning... $1500 craft surely is smart enough to not drop out of sight gone forever in a matter of seconds right? Wrong... and I had no identification of any kind on the craft. Am I stupid? Of course not.. a total noob at using a costly high caliber drone? Oh yes!

Although it's highly unlikely identification would of helped me dropping into a deep fast current river.. still I took it for granted it wouldn't happen. We all learn from mistakes with some stinging more than others. I will say my now P4P stayed pretty much grounded until I had my FAA info on the craft AND more importantly IMO is a "reward if found" label attached securely outlining the phone number to call if found.

Even all the info we can cram on a drone does not guarantee it's return by no means. However, new pilots to seasoned pilots can do our part for a safe return. We all get excited with a new "toy" regardless of what it is. This excitement in turn can cause for some crucial mistakes that are far from limited to a lost drone with no contact info on it.

I put a sticker with my details in the battery compartment at the bottom, just behind the hollow where the battery clicks in and I sealed it with Scotch tape. It's a little tricky and I used tweezers to do this.
Upon impact batteries come out often and land somewhere else. I find it more important that the drone is returned to me rather then a battery.

my battery and camera were several feet from where the a/c hit the runway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West