Solve Green Screen and Freeze Up Problems

Reaction score
I used an iPad mini 2nd generation to fly a Phantom 4 and started to have recurrent problems while flying. Mainly two problems, screen freeze up and screen turned all green. I did all kind of things to resolve the problems, for instance I unloaded all the applications and few photos I had in the tablet to clear some memory, I updated the software DJI GO, I turned the Airplane Mode ON while flying, I removed all applications and left only the default applications and the DJI apps but nothing help to solve the problem.
Well, I resort to replace my iPad Mini 2nd generation for the iPad Mini 5th generation. The results couldn't be better. ALL MY PROBLEMS WENT AWAY!!!
I flew for about 45 minutes in total and used 3 batteries to test the new tablet and I'm glad to report everything was smooth and with no glitches.

What I learned is that the DJI applications are very demanding apps, they require a machine capable to handle high speed information transfer, a lot of memory, and dependable video managing. Think about all the things that are happening behind scenes when you fly: Uplink and downlink communications, mapping update, video streaming in HD just to mention a few.
My advice is if you have similar problems use a dedicated tablet to fly the drone, I know it's another expense but it's worth it, specially when you have invested a couple $1000 and you have that investment zipping and zooming "in the air."

the
I used an iPad mini 2nd generation to fly a Phantom 4 and started to have recurrent problems while flying. Mainly two problems, screen freeze up and screen turned all green. I did all kind of things to resolve the problems, for instance I unloaded all the applications and few photos I had in the tablet to clear some memory, I updated the software DJI GO, I turned the Airplane Mode ON while flying, I removed all applications and left only the default applications and the DJI apps but nothing help to solve the problem.
Well, I resort to replace my iPad Mini 2nd generation for the iPad Mini 5th generation. The results couldn't be better. ALL MY PROBLEMS WENT AWAY!!!
I flew for about 45 minutes in total and used 3 batteries to test the new tablet and I'm glad to report everything was smooth and with no glitches.

What I learned is that the DJI applications are very demanding apps, they require a machine capable to handle high speed information transfer, a lot of memory, and dependable video managing. Think about all the things that are happening behind scenes when you fly: Uplink and downlink communications, mapping update, video streaming in HD just to mention a few.
My advice is if you have similar problems use a dedicated tablet to fly the drone, I know it's another expense but it's worth it, specially when you have invested a couple $1000 and you have that investment zipping and zooming "in the air."
mini 2 is what i hav and its ok for p3 but everyone says no good for the p4 so not a surprise u saw the same
i want something new and didnt no the mini 5 was out already i thought after september. i need to get on here more

I fly my Phantom 4 with an iPad Mini 2 without problems. Haven't flown that drone since the fall, though, so it's possible a recent software update might have had an effect.

Thanks for the info, I use ipad mni 2 second generation, I did like you did. I don't have any issues if capturing at 1080p, If I go to 4k, I get the problems, at 2.7K sometimes I get them others I do not. With the 5th generation, do you capture in 4K, and at what FPS? I might have to get the new 5th generation and new PC for the 4k editing. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, I use ipad mni 2 second generation, I did like you did. I don't have any issues if capturing at 1080p, If I go to 4k, I get the problems, at 2.7K sometimes I get them others I do not. With the 5th generation, do you capture in 4K, and at what FPS? I might have to get the new 5th generation and new PC for the 4k editing. Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I filmed in 4K @24FPS. If you’re planning going seriously into YouTube or commercial Drone filming a powerful high grade gaming liquid cooled computer is a MUST HAVE.
I’m not there yet so I can’t give recommendations or insights of what computer you need for video edition.
Happy landings
AD

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I filmed in 4K @24FPS. If you’re planning going seriously into YouTube or commercial Drone filming a powerful high grade gaming liquid cooled computer is a MUST HAVE.
I’m not there yet so I can’t give recommendations or insights of what computer you need for video edition.
Happy landings
AD
Thanks, I am researching the 4k machine, It seems like the speed of the GPU and CPU are not as important as how many cores there are. You still need fast , but it shouldn't be the main concern. After the machine is figured out, then a 4k monitor, need lots of $. A long way off from actually getting one, pricing it out, it looks like buying one instead of building one might actually be less expensive?

Fun Flying

RQ

Cables can cause issues; I know with my LG Stylo 3 Plus that if I use a certain cable that is longer than 3 feet, I will have these issues, however if I use a cable made by Motorola that is roughly 2 or 3 feet in length, I have zero issues and zero graphical glitches, aside from radio interference (I live roughly 300 meters away from a cellular tower, and roughly 100 meters away from a satellite Internet tower) which causes intermittent lag as the channels being used on the controller and drone change to adapt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers