Solar Flares

dirkclod

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Well I have never had any issues due to these things and don't doubt
there is some interference from them but I did find the video's in that interesting . I have flew when it said not to and never had any issues .
About the only thing that has stopped me was rain or heavy winds .
I'm addicted to flying and have promised the wife I would have that checked out but so far I keep forgetting . :)

I don't fly when it's really windy or raining.

The Kp has no effect on your drone.

Reactions: dirkclod
I don't fly when it's really windy or raining.

The Kp has no effect on your drone.
Wouldn't a high enough K index value interfere with the GPS accuracy? It's going to hit 8 this afternoon at my location. We do apps that depend on accurate GPS so I'll be out testing the effects of "Space Weather" on a couple of tablets.

You tell me.
I've had a Garmin on my bicycle since '99 and been flying Phantoms since early '14.
I have NEVER event thought about Kp and would not let it have any influence on flying or not.
Hard to understand why folks look for so many reasons NOT to fly.

We took out a couple of Android tablets. A Panasonic and our custom unit. With the K-index at an 8 out of 9, we saw zero problems with the GPS. They locked on quickly and positions were within the usual range of accuracy. I would expect the Phantoms to behave just as well. The Phantom 3 Standard/4K might be the only one to show any affects, it just has GPS while the others have GPS and GLONASS.

We took out a couple of Android tablets. A Panasonic and our custom unit. With the K-index at an 8 out of 9, we saw zero problems with the GPS. They locked on quickly and positions were within the usual range of accuracy. I would expect the Phantoms to behave just as well. The Phantom 3 Standard/4K might be the only one to show any affects, it just has GPS while the others have GPS and GLONASS.

i just finished a flight with a Kp of 8 according to UAV Forecast, didnt seem to affect my P3 Standard at all. i had let it hover in place for a couple minutes at 10` before going up for photos as i was a bit nervous of that high Kp value but it kept its position as well as it always does.

It's a non-issue but newer folks don't know that (yet).
This pops up every few months.

Another myth... pass it on!

It has never been proven unsafe to fly at any Kp level.
This is a Strawman Argument.

However I respect your right to fly as you choose as is mine to try and help folks have less paranoia about non-issues.

According to UAV Forecast, "In general it's better to play it safe during solar storms, even though most of the time you won't notice any issues." Also: "One major factor is your latitude: ionospheric disturbances are worse at high and equatorial latitudes, and less noticeable at mid latitudes. Another factor is the time of day: most disturbances occur in the evening between the hours of 8pm and midnight."

So just because some flights are fine does not mean it's safe... there's a risk of having an issue with GPS or radio, but it depends where you are, what time of day it is, and how things look minute to minute. Personally I avoid flying above Kp 6.

Reactions: Phill2
It has never been proven unsafe to fly at any Kp level.
This is a Strawman Argument.

However I respect your right to fly as you choose as is mine to try and help folks have less paranoia about non-issues.
Exactly. I saw no position errors on three Android devices with different hardware over a 10 minute drive that we use to validate our code. Ultimately, it comes down to your own comfort level. I don't know the source for UAV Forcast's recommendations, but unless it's based on real world testing with the GPS/GLASNOSS chipsets used by DJI, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.

According to UAV Forecast, "In general it's better to play it safe during solar storms, even though most of the time you won't notice any issues." Also: "One major factor is your latitude: ionospheric disturbances are worse at high and equatorial latitudes, and less noticeable at mid latitudes. Another factor is the time of day: most disturbances occur in the evening between the hours of 8pm and midnight."

So just because some flights are fine does not mean it's safe... there's a risk of having an issue with GPS or radio, but it depends where you are, what time of day it is, and how things look minute to minute. Personally I avoid flying above Kp 6.

UAV forecast?

You mean a web-mining App?

It's just regurgitated data.

They add no value or provide any science or proof of any flight issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4