So who's dumping their P4 for Mavic?

I don't think DJI have released the Mavic in completion with the P4 as this has not long been released, and really there would be no point in DJI creating the Mavic to have everything the P4 has, it's just another model to compete with other manufacturers in the compact drone market. I love my P4 and enjoy flying it every chance I get. It is a rock solid drone that has never let me down and perform s every flight. [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have had a P4 for about 6 weeks. Love it. I just ordered a Mavic. I am keeping both. The Mavic will make a great travel companion and also much easier to carry on my bicycle commute - yes, I have lugged a Manfrotto D1 backpack to work and back (10-12 miles each way) a few times now. The P4 does seem, at first impression, more a work horse and with some minor advantages but only time will tell.

Reactions: Jussaguy
-"You may get a tad better video/photo results from the P4, it has just a bit longer flight time, the FOV is 94°, and a little faster in Sports Mode.

We all know the P4 flight time isn't as advertised, recent reviews has the mavic spot on with its advertised flight time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

recent reviews has the mavic spot on with its advertised flight time
DJI got smart this time. Instead of just listing the max flight time in the Mavic specs, they also listed the Max Hovering and Overall (normal) flight times. For other aircraft, folks somehow think they will be able to achieve the max flight time on every flight. There should be no surprises this time around.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Seems to make more sense that the Mavic was released to kill the Karma, not the Phantom. What company would release a product to compete with another model it also produces? Doesn't seem to make much sense. I understand the benefits of the smaller platform and why many will indeed replace the Phantom 4 with the Mavic but as most realize, they are filling different niches. I would like a Mavic as I travel on snowmobile and in speedboat and the portability would be great, but my Phantom is only months old and amazing. Sure it's bigger and heavier but it's pretty light and nimble in the air!

Reactions: Dronego
I think it's rad, but the video quality is just not there.....

Unless there is some aftermarket contraption which effectively attaches an iPad Mini to the controller, especially allowing a sun shade, I just don't see me getting a Mavic. The Mavic's controller seems to be the deal breaker for me at this time, but the goggles may be the answer. Even so, I'd like my iPad to be my go to viewer.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Remember no tablet with the Mavic, screen tops out at 5.5 inches like an iPhone. not worth it

Keeping my P4. So far I don't like the video quality of the Mavic (looks really soft), but that might be fixed through a firmware update. I've heard that the Mavic and the P4 use the same image sensor, so the video quality discrepancy is weird to me.

Sent from my XT1575 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Keeping my P4. So far I don't like the video quality of the Mavic (looks really soft), but that might be fixed through a firmware update. I've heard that the Mavic and the P4 use the same image sensor, so the video quality discrepancy is weird to me.

Same sensor, different lens.

I have seen the first lot of vlogger images and thought eeewww, not nice. Then I heard DJI say "vloggers didnt focus correctly". Then I see the images after they say they improved it, and it looks a little better, but still not on par with the P4.

Image quality is paramount for me, so I think the Mavic is over priced, or the P4 is under priced. I would put the Mavic at £800/$600 and the P4 at £1150/$850.

Unless there is some aftermarket contraption which effectively attaches an iPad Mini to the controller, especially allowing a sun shade, I just don't see me getting a Mavic. The Mavic's controller seems to be the deal breaker for me at this time, but the goggles may be the answer. Even so, I'd like my iPad to be my go to viewer.
I just crashed by P3, so I am out for a new drone.
The Mavic looks impressive!
It also looks more robust. Since I crashed by touching a building, I wonder if the collision prevention is any better?
The greatest disappointment to me looks the controller that does not allow a larger tablet, like my Nvidea Shield.
I am not sure whether it will work with Litchi, but on a small screen this is less fun.:(
Goggles aren't allowed in LOS countries, maybe the Epson Goggles is an option.

I fly with a Trackimo and I am not sure about the ability to mount one on the Mavic. I also use a GetterBack when flying over water and I like using an iPad mini for a screen. Finally, I use an Itelite MaxxRange antenna panel from Jake and do some distance flights. I know the Mavic reportedly has a 7 mile transmission range, but I do not know if that is just the range for video transmission, or if that actually is the range of the drone. There is no way I can see making a 14 mile round trip flight on a single battery under any circumstances. If I did not already have the P4, I would seriously consider the Mavic. But with the amount I have invested and with the way I fly my P4, I think that I will not be getting a Mavic.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Today it's the Mavic, next year it will be the Phantom 5 and so it goes. For me I have the P4 really enjoy it and know in several years the changes in tech will induce me to get the newest drone. As I'm an old worn out cowboy I know from experience the more stuff that moves the more stuff that breaks. I suspect the propeller arms will become problematic with time.

I wouldn't be 100% sure it won't fit a mini.

I can swear I read somewhere that the controller will work with "your phone or pad".

In fact, I know I read that but it might have been on some blog and a person wrote that. I am not sure.

If you look at the controller, it certainly looks like it can open out to support a mini pad, right?

phpghhioo.jpg

Either way, there will DEFINITELY be an after market device for it if not, probably sold by DJI even. Then I would have to assume that it would work with the pad versions of the software. I am not a developer so I am not sure if I am saying this right but you get the idea.

Again, whoever said they are getting this for additional transport, that's what it is. It wasn't made to "kill the Karma" although it looks by all accounts it will do that. All three of the major players, well both of, and GoPro came into the market with a small version. Unfortunately for Karma, and this is an assumption, they other makers realized that the tech and time for a small sized "everyman" UAS was going to be a Family Drone and that's what this, The Breeze, and Karma is. It's not meant to replace the P4. There will still be a P5 and I will get it. I will also get this.

This has 6 months or so of additional R&D and technology over the P4 and while it's impossible for some to make the comparison to the P4, it's not a fair comparison. When the P5 comes out, which will probably be within the next 8-12 months, you will see that it will leave all other prosumer UASs in the dust I would have to think. But of course, Yuneec and whoever else will also be vying for that.

I don't think that Apple, as has often been rumored, will be creating one anytime soon as they are selling the Mavic beginning in November so that relationship is still intact contrary to all the reports around here. I had a friend that was the manager at an Apple Store tell me it was their best selling product for the month it was released plus they probably have sold a significant percentage increase in iPads because of it and I don't think that ends with the Mavic.

The Mavic may shoot just as well as the P4, maybe a little bit less but it's the same as when your camera starting taking pictures that were good enough to replace point and shoots that you saw people stop carrying around point and shoots. It's not that those didn't take better imagoes because even to this day, they do and did but the average person is fine with that, effectively killing that market but it didn't kill the market of people that want cameras with larger lens and an ability to control aperture, etc.

If I can use an analogy, this is the first SMARTPHONE UAS that is of any quality IMO and small enough to carry around. This type of UAS will trend downward in size and is aimed at a wholly different market than the P4 users. But because the form factor of the P4 is so small already, there are probably (as I've been saying) a lot of P4 users who would rather be Mavic users but there was no Mavic until now.

Then there are some, like myself, who will get both and throw caution (and money) to the wind.

I am looking forward to the Mavic for completely different reasons than the P4. I look forward to flying it from the balcony of a villa I'm staying at in O'hai.

The other thing that needs to happen is the price needs to come down. I don't think the market they are attacking are willing to shell out a grand. At least not in droves. I think they should have probably dropped the OcuSYNC and saved it for the P5 and just put AT MOST LightBridge on here which seems overkill in itself. OcuSYNC if debuted on the P5 would promote the separation I'm saying and probably would have lowered the cost of the Mavic but these guys seem to know what they are doing and it all but assures killing the Breeze and the Karma.

It will kill the Breeze because of the electronic vs gimbal stabilization and the Karma because of the removable camera and the fact that by all accounts, it's weak.

Definitely exciting.

I thought it was 6.30 inches?

Depends on if you are in landscape or portrait. The Mini is about 5.3 inches wide and the iPhone 6+ is about 3.3" wide and 6" high but we use it in landscape (the longer dimension mode usually). I believe the 7+ is actually a drop smaller but don't quote me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues