So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

And could he not have used his 8 previous shots (in which he missed) to zero in on range or any other parameter required to make the 9th shot a hit?

Sheesh. It seems pretty clear that although it may have been a difficult shot - it was far from impossible. Either way, I don't think that a 1 for 9 success rate is going to open up any sniper jobs for him.

To be honest - I can't even tell what you guys are arguing about at this point.

Not aruging having a discussion about firearms and ballistics in a drone forum.

with drones being governed by the FAA now, in LA state, this could go to a much higher court as him shooting into the sky, with the intent to hit the aircraft and cause more harm via a crash over a highway spells trouble for the shooter..Alot of trouble.

Its the same thing as shooting a plane going over your property..the airspace isn't yours. its governed and controlled by the FAA.

Where someone is standing makes little difference when it's the drone that someone was firing at. If the owner of the property wants to press charges for the person trespassing on their land, they can do this.

In no way do I condone trespassing and I'd never fly over private property but out of curiosity, if my lawn chair blew onto private property or my kids kicked a ball onto it or even if someone drove a RC car onto private property, is that trespassing as well? It's not me standing on the land, it's an object that I own. Can a piece of property like a ball or remote control helicopter really trespass on someone else's property?

At the risk of incurring mod wrath...

As a NYer, I will agree completely with the first part of your post. I would also agree that the charges are well deserved.

As to the last sentence I would argue two points. First, what you call "strongest gun laws" I would call "most obvious attempt to circumvent the rights enshired in the 2A" and most disrespect of the U.S. Constitution.

And on that point, I would also argue that California often does surpass us in the "lack of liberty" department. A coin toss as to who gets the honors in any given year. :)

To bring it back to drones - the point does have application. NY (and California) loves to regulate and restrict. Both love to be "first" in the country to prohibit something and make their prohibition more encompassing than anywhere else - even if it is just a large sized soda. My county already has sweeping regulations prohibiting drone flights over/near county property, as does NY state over state parks. If you want to see where drone restrictions are heading, look to NY and CA for a glimpse into the future.

Just be glad the Phantom is white. If it were black, NY would classify it as an "assault drone" and prohibit ownership!
That would be unfortunate.
8339a5fce70fd8649e5e91a17021ad1c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure there are federal laws against shooting at aircraft, especially since we have to register our UAS/drones.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In most incorporated communities, this would be a class 3 felony - reckless endangerment (what goes up, comes down - hopefully not in a children's playground) Also, if you were at 200', you were well within FAA regulated airspace, and privacy/property rights no longer prevail (usually up to 85-95', with some exceptions). Prosecute, sue for replacement damages, willful destruction of private property.

Reactions: Grimbart55
In no way do I condone trespassing and I'd never fly over private property but out of curiosity, if my lawn chair blew onto private property or my kids kicked a ball onto it or even if someone drove a RC car onto private property, is that trespassing as well? It's not me standing on the land, it's an object that I own. Can a piece of property like a ball or remote control helicopter really trespass on someone else's property?

I think my post was misunderstood. If the Phantom is in the air, it can't really be trespassing (there are some exceptions). The only way trespassing would come into play is if a person is standing on the person's property. If they are, then charges can be brought against the person. That was my point.

Note: Yes, a person flying a drone in the air can infringe on someone's right to use their property.

FAA still claims authority of airspace - you have a right to fly unless your flight imposes on someone else's rights to privacy. Clearly there is a lot of grey area and it will all have to be tested in the courts. The question is, do you want to incur the costs of testing your right to fly?

So I was flying my couple month old phantom 3 advanced quad and some idiot shot it with a 22. I was not flying or looking at his property I till I noticed he was firing at me. Turn because I couldn't believe it and started looking to see who was shooting and bam! Disconnected from my controller to my bird. Luckily my bird did what was it supposed to do, flew home. When got back I noticed it was hit in the VPS and Ofdm module. What are my rights. PLEASE HELP.

Make sure to sign peter's petition... sorry for your incident!
Direct the Dept. of Justice & FBI to criminally prosecute anyone who shoots at an unmanned aircraft or "drone." | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Direct the Dept. of Justice & FBI to criminally prosecute anyone who shoots at an unmanned aircraft or "drone."

If I suspected that my drone was being shot at, I would certainly not stop moving the drone. A hovering drone is not a hard target.
Even if you want footage of the shooter, try to keep moving around a bit while searching the area with the camera.

So I was flying my couple month old phantom 3 advanced quad and some idiot shot it with a 22. I was not flying or looking at his property I till I noticed he was firing at me. Turn because I couldn't believe it and started looking to see who was shooting and bam! Disconnected from my controller to my bird. Luckily my bird did what was it supposed to do, flew home. When got back I noticed it was hit in the VPS and Ofdm module. What are my rights. PLEASE HELP.

1) You must have been hovering, or he was a great shot! I have heard of shot guns, but not .22
2) In the US you do not have rights to your airspace. (the planes above my house prove that)
3) Now that you are a US FAA Registered aircraft, you should report it to the FAA (if he shoots at you, he may shoot at a helicopter)
4) Maybe go talk to him and ask him to replace your aircraft, as he has no right to shoot it down. (court cases now prevail)

Reactions: Squirrel!
If your on private property with a camera you don't have many rights to be there.

I cant believe anyone has the right to shoot him down for flying above someones property. that mongrel doesn't own the property and if the pilot wasn't a menace then whats going on? Surely the Police will have something to say about this? What sort of country do you live in? If this happened in Australia, I would have the police there to lock the bastard up within minutes. If there are no rules there, then i would shoot his house... see how he liked it.

So sorry that a thoughtless person fired upon and hit your Phantom[emoji23] , however if it's any consolation the color scheme of your bird is fantastic. I would like to upgrade the appearance of my Phantom 3 Standard.

I cant believe anyone has the right to shoot him down for flying above someones property. that mongrel doesn't own the property and if the pilot wasn't a menace then whats going on? Surely the Police will have something to say about this? What sort of country do you live in? If this happened in Australia, I would have the police there to lock the bastard up within minutes. If there are no rules there, then i would shoot his house... see how he liked it.

Obviously you didn't read the whole thread. It's resolved all but the court phase.

I've shot guns my whole life, what makes you say close range for a .22?
.22 long rifle is a big round, and travel 1.5miles a .22mag easy 1 mile
People don't use .22s for self defense BECAUSE of the distance they travel, and low stopping power of course, just saying some good ole boy with a .22 could hit a drone with scope at 300yards no problem, hell I've got a PCP (pre charged Pnuematic) air rig that's dead accurate to drive nails at over 100yards
Yep. I have to agree. Easily a .22

Reactions: Sim597
I in the central part of lousisana, around the Lafayette area way out in the country.
If you are in the US, his actions are a violation of Federal Law and he can be criminally prosecuted as it is a federal offense to damage any flying aircraft. Additionally, he may have illegally discharged a firearm. You might contact the local law enforcement and the FAA.

This case was ultimately dismissed, wrongly many think, but he faced prison and fines. You can also sue in court, if they have a small claims court in your state.

Not surprised at all. Americans are rightly portrayed as waving their flag (excessive naive belief in their country and institutions) and shooting at everything that moves (mass paranoia). These are not the right conditions to fly a quadcopter. Good that I live in a civilized part of the world (sorry for those who might feel offended).
That's why I moved out of the US to live in Austria, Italy and Gibraltar. A few months a year in each. Works. Some of the freedoms, other than guns, are quite good. One that is really convenient is to be able to just about sit and eat my meal at restaurants with my dog under the table and then smoke a cigarette after. Being able to drive a factory built race car on regular streets is another plus.

Anyway, most of these problems can be so easily avoided at 400 feet. Last year at a beach where I live there were some complaints regarding a phantom flying over sunbathers. This happened over a day. Meanwhile I had been overlying the same Beach for months every day without one complaint. Why? Cause I was at 400 feet and nobody saw or heard a thing. My buddy who is a local carabineri and fellow phantom pilot thought it funny that nobody noticed our birds. The other day I was flying over mountains while controlling from my house driveway in the valley. Meanwhile I heard a drone that turned out to be a phantom 3. He was flying about at 30 feet up near a balcony at the bed and breakfast next door. Sure enough some lady comes out to the bakcony and complains. To me. I shouted, hey, not my drone. My phantom 4 was 1.4 kilometers away over some mountain. Hell, I told her, I don't spend 1600 euros to **** about over my neighbor's trees. I can use a Hubsan x4 for that crap. I fly 3 to 5 flights daily from my home. Never once a problem until some tourist next door flies near another tourist's window. Fly over a beach daily for a year at 400 feet, no problem. One German tourist brings his phantom down, takes off from the beach and starts dicking around at twenty something feet up, boom, complaint. Wanna fly low? Go do it far away from people's property. Keep it under 400 and above 399 and you will seldom have a problem. Or crash into a tree for that matter. My neighbors never complain cause all they hear is take off, ten seconds of hover, and gone. But spend an entire battery near people and at the sort of slow speeds where they start to think you're filming them, you better believe complaints come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31