So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

You know you should be able get a line of fire with your flight track and his location. Might be able to demonstrate what was down range of this numbskull. Even if he was lobbing his shots a .22 would really leave a mark.

You know you should be able get a line of fire with your flight track and his location. Might be able to demonstrate what was down range of this numbskull. Even if he was lobbing his shots a .22 would really leave a mark.
He's done admitted to doing it and I have all flight logistics. Done gave it all to Sherrif detectives. He's gonna be charged, if hadn't already. I have to go back tomorrow morning and meet with detective for the third time.

That's good even if you don't get retribution he won't be winging shots around you and your family.

You fellows are wildly optimistic about your marksmanship, luck, and the marksmanship of children. Just imagine how high 200 feet up (and God knows how much horizontal distance) is. Even if the pilot were hovering, those birds juke around a bit in those upper areas where it is usually more breezy. I ain't buying the story. I am in facting calling bull_. Annie Oakley is long gone, and she did not live in Lousiana.

Also, i hope Cody lives in a very rural area. It is illegal in most areas, not to mention dangerous to fire bulluts uo in the air. Bullets need to come back down somewhere.

Also, i hope Cody lives in a very rural area. It is illegal in most areas, not to mention dangerous to fire bulluts uo in the air. Bullets need to come back down somewhere.

Maybe you should read the thread from the beginning. Everything you are talking about has already been discussed and rehashed several times.

Did you read the entire thread? The dangers and legality of firing into the air have been fully covered. Yes - it was a rural area - but it was still stupid and illegal and it appears that charges have been (or are about to be) laid!

Calling ******** on what? The OP was able to remove the bullet from his drone so he has proof of the caliber. His flight logs also prove he was at the altitude he claimed. So what is there to call ******** on? The shot was clearly made.

Reactions: Numone
Where I live in the US it's illegal to discharge a weapon within 500 yards of another occupied building - so you might want to check into that also.

You fellows are wildly optimistic about your marksmanship, luck, and the marksmanship of children. Just imagine how high 200 feet up (and God knows how much horizontal distance) is. Even if the pilot were hovering, those birds juke around a bit in those upper areas where it is usually more breezy. I ain't buying the story. I am in facting calling bull_. Annie Oakley is long gone, and she did not live in Lousiana.
<sigh> Hardly. It's pretty clear to me you have little knowledge of what you're posting about. :rolleyes:
One of my websites
Another one of my websites.

Shooting something as big as a DJI Phantom at 200 ***FEET*** not yards - isn't hard at all. I take new shooters as students and on DAY ONE, they normally would shoot/hit a 3 inch or less group at 100 ***yards*** fairly consistently. A DJI drone at 65 or so yards doesn't take a great shot.

Shooting an FAA registered aircraft is a felony in the U.S..
Discharging a firearm into the air is also either a misdemeanor or a felony in every state in the U.S..

The OP has taken the first step in contacting the Sheriff. IMO, he needs to take the second step and notify the FAA.

This needs to be pursued as far as possible. As both a firearms instructor and registered UAV pilot, violations of our rights and the law in situations like this need to be properly resolved to the full extent of the law and widely publicized to make it crystal clear that there is zero tolerance for this kind of behavior.

200 feet is not that hard of a shot what is difficult is caliber. 22. Small round where wind plays a big role even at short distances. Also shooting at something in the air is very difficult when experienced and trained with firearms especially in long distance you tend to use objects to range how far your target is out. Now being that the drone is up 200feet that 747 flying at 30k isn't gonna help you range out the drone at 200 feet.

I'm not wildly optimistic about my marksmanship.
I have quite a bit of experience making difficult shots. That particular drone shot was not however a difficult shot for many, even run of the mill hunters and firearm enthusiasts.

One doesn't need other objects in order to range the target object, regardless of line of sight height or background.

In addition many if not most .22 rifles are sighted in/zeroed at 50 yds so 60-70 yds or 200 ft isn't a big adjustment.

It just wasn't a grassy knoll type of shot.

Well I guess everything I've learned from being in the USMC as an 0311and as a Police instructor of both long guns and pistols was wrong lol. Bullet Drop compensation, angles, wind speed. Type of ammo was it a. 22 subsonic or .22 60 grain minimag High velocity. Yes 200 Feet is not a long shot, but shooting something out of the sky at 200 feet isn't the easiest shot.

As to you stating you don't need objects to range a target out is totally false. Unless your referring to using a rangefinder, or a BDC of an Optic.

Well you and the rest of us know nothing of the shooters skill, experience, and equipment.

Nor do we know the true or exact distance, target profile presented to the shooter, and other situational details with specificity.

Given all your experience I'd expect you to say that it is possible as I feel with all my experience I could do it with my Marlin Glenfield, CCI mini-mags, 8X scope, and a bench rest or similar.

Is there video of this and or pictures of the drone?

Yes.

Do you read the threads or just jump in with your resume'.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT