So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

Yeah, that's true and it's not for this forum, but you too can have someone with a weapon blow your $1500 UAV out of the sky, so bully for you too. Not saying it wouldn't happen here, just a lot less likely.
You have other problems over there.
Help; Been Reported
Luckily for us we have hillbillies with guns to keep the police busy. [emoji1]

Yeah, that's true and it's not for this forum, but you too can have someone with a weapon blow your $1500 UAV out of the sky, so bully for you too. Not saying it wouldn't happen here, just a lot less likely.
I suppose that statement is correct. Very very unlikely though. It really isn't the wild wild west in the U.S. with everyone walking around with a 6 shooter on his or her hip though. So could it happen yes. Will it happen not likely.

Reactions: Fplvert
Oh my,
Please don't attempt to pick the splinter out of my eye when you have a friggin telephone pole in your eye.

I wager Cody didn't have to wait 20 minutes on an armed police officer to respond to a shooting down of his drone.

Last edited:
I suppose that statement is correct. Very very unlikely though. It really isn't the wild wild west in the U.S. with everyone walking around with a 6 shooter on his or her hip though. So could it happen yes. Will it happen not likely.
Errrr.... isn't the subject of this thread exactly a case in point? With 117 guns per 100 people in the US, I'd presume it's a lot less likely over here than it is over there....

Errrr.... isn't the subject of this thread exactly a case in point? With 117 guns per 100 people in the US, I'd presume it's a lot less likely over here than it is over there....

exaggeration ;) It's 112. sheeeeesh.....

A shotgun would be a much better choice for quad hunting. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Lol no one is doubting that, but to hit an object up however high he was is impressive.
I agree with what you've written but I doubt it applies to this specific incident. Firing a gun into the air only endangers the public if there is a public around to be endangered. I don't know what you see when you envision the story the OP tells - but I thought he said that this occurred pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

What the shooter did was clearly stupid and illegal and he should be charged and forced to replace the drone - but I don't think that the facts of this particular incident prove that there was much (if any) risk of danger to the general public.

You and the guy who posted above you are both correct. In NY state he would be charged with Reckless Endangerment 2 for firing a long gun into the air and Criminal Mischief for the damage done to the drone and lastly discharging a long gun within 500 feet of any dwelling. If the drone falls out of the sky and damages anything you can put him down for more counts of Criminal Mischief.

Reactions: Cody Fontenot
I agree with what you've written but I doubt it applies to this specific incident. Firing a gun into the air only endangers the public if there is a public around to be endangered. I don't know what you see when you envision the story the OP tells - but I thought he said that this occurred pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

What the shooter did was clearly stupid and illegal and he should be charged and forced to replace the drone - but I don't think that the facts of this particular incident prove that there was much (if any) risk of danger to the general public.

Not sure where the incident happened, however I know here you will get your butt in serious trouble shooting a rifle into the air....I live in a high dessert so pretty much not many people around. The only way you can make sure no public is at risk is to have several square miles fenced so no one is in the area for certain. That is why around here you cannot discharge a rifle into the air

G

Yes. It's clearly illegal and stupid. But some people here were exaggerating the risk to the public in this specific case. From the way they posted, it sounded like the guy had shot into the air in the middle of Times Square, a stadium or an amusement park.

Nobody is disputing that it's dangerous, stupid and illegal. Nobody is saying that it was okay because it was in an isolated area. I'm simply saying that the risk if injuring someone in this particular incident is LOWER (not non-existent - just much lower) than if it had been done in a densely populated area. I thought I made that pretty clear in my post.

This sounds like a very odd story. (Do you have any idea how difficult it is to hit a moving object 200 feet high with a .22 round?) If the sheriff locates the fellow, I think the Navy would be interested in having him in the gunnery squad.

This sounds like a very odd story. (Do you have any idea how difficult it is to hit a moving object 200 feet high with a .22 round?) If the sheriff locates the fellow, I think the Navy would be interested in having him in the gunnery squad.
You're right. It's not that difficult. You don't have to good just lucky.

Reactions: Fieldstone
I think Cody mentioned he was hovering looking for the shooter when it hit his drone.

200' is do-able. Mostly luck I would think. My son shot 4-H rifle back when and he had a nice setup for what they called turkeys and pigs. I don't recall them shooting over 100' but his scope works very well today at 300 yds Plus some on a .270 so pretty sure he could shoot .22 at 200' with a good rest.

And probably at an angle so it's a bit more lethal than simply hitting terminal velocity and falling down.

I'd love to hear if there is any positive resolution to this issue, though, so if there is, OP, would you mind updating? With all the redneck in my family, I have a legitimate concern with this.
I will keep updated.

Reactions: Numone
I think Cody mentioned he was hovering looking for the shooter when it hit his drone.
Sir, around from where I live there are guns everywhere and making a shot like this isn't to hard. My 12 year old could have done it. Difference is I've taught him better gun safety than what this idiot was displaying.

Reactions: Roverggm
Reactions: Roverggm
Sir, around from where I live there are guns everywhere and making a shot like this isn't to hard. My 12 year old could have done it. Difference is I've taught him better gun safety than what this idiot was displaying.

I know the shot was doable. I'm surprised it took ten shots.
I was also raised to shoot properly and legally and continue to hone my skills even while here in Canada.

I don't blame you, I recommend you push it until you can't or it cranks. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT