So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

I think we are all on the same page. The real issue is not the UAV. The real issue is the irresponsible discharge of a firearm. I should have been more clear. I do disagree with this statement though
I think most people completely understand that discharging a firearm for any reason is a serious issue. They 100 percent know the consequences for doing it. Which prompted my statement that no new law was necessary. I'll add to that and say no epiphany is necessary either. Where I live this knucklehead would absolutely be charged.

Same page....different paragraphs.
We're at a drone forum......DRONE LIVES MATTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most...but not enough.

This I also disagree with. The gun carriers in my state know they would go down for discharging a firearm under the circumstances here.
That is all. The remainder of your statements I agree with totally.

You WHAT?!?! :)
In your state......maybe. (But I'm sure we could still find some drone poppers with shot guns or 22's. No state is idiot proof)
In some states like NY and CA and in certain areas where hoplophobia rules, certainly less likely.
But since this keeps popping up in the news, there are still too many states and too many areas in those states where folks think with their guns and not their heads when it comes to "drones"

Reactions: Cody Fontenot
As a Police officer in NY state there would definitely be charges against the A HOLE who shot your drone. Firing in the sky is considered reckless endangerment, Criminal Mischief for damaging your drone. I do live in the state that has the strongest gun laws in the states.

At the risk of incurring mod wrath...

As a NYer, I will agree completely with the first part of your post. I would also agree that the charges are well deserved.

As to the last sentence I would argue two points. First, what you call "strongest gun laws" I would call "most obvious attempt to circumvent the rights enshired in the 2A" and most disrespect of the U.S. Constitution.

And on that point, I would also argue that California often does surpass us in the "lack of liberty" department. A coin toss as to who gets the honors in any given year. :)

To bring it back to drones - the point does have application. NY (and California) loves to regulate and restrict. Both love to be "first" in the country to prohibit something and make their prohibition more encompassing than anywhere else - even if it is just a large sized soda. My county already has sweeping regulations prohibiting drone flights over/near county property, as does NY state over state parks. If you want to see where drone restrictions are heading, look to NY and CA for a glimpse into the future.

Just be glad the Phantom is white. If it were black, NY would classify it as an "assault drone" and prohibit ownership!

At the risk of incurring mod wrath...

As a NYer, I will agree completely with the first part of your post. I would also agree that the charges would be well deserved.

As to the last sentence I would argue two points. First, what you call "strongest gun laws" I would call "most obvious attempt to circumvent the rights enshrined in the 2A" and most disrespect of the U.S. Constitution.

marine_salute1.jpg

Reactions: m0j0
I'm pro drone and for the Second Amendment to bear arms. Most officers that I work with think NY Safety Act is taking the firearms from law abiding citizens. So I'm with you, my job is what I do not who I am... IMO if these FEW idiots crash drones into skyscrapers or continue to fly within a dangerous limit of aircraft then we will all be flying the simulator in the DJI app. It's a great hobby and brings photography to a whole different level. Literally lol I Crack myself up.

You were in the national airspace. You should report this and push to have this person prosecuted.

I'm pro drone and for the Second Amendment to bear arms. Most officers that I work with think NY Safety Act is taking the firearms from law abiding citizens. So I'm with you, my job is what I do not who I am... IMO if these FEW idiots crash drones into skyscrapers or continue to fly within a dangerous limit of aircraft then we will all be flying the simulator in the DJI app. It's a great hobby and brings photography to a whole different level. Literally lol I Crack myself up.
Not to rag on you on anything, but just wondering in general.

Where do you draw the line between doing what you're told and standing up to core principles? Indeed, where do all law enforcement or people with authority draw that line when duty or orders crosses path with personal core principles?

They did the famous Stanford prisoner experiment demonstrating this. People just blindly follow orders. In fact, a lot of Nazi officers made that same argument. They just did the job. Had a family. Had to put food on the table. They don't actually like genocide and slaughtering of innocents. Etc. Yet they did it.

Not that taking guns away or banning drones is anywhere close in comparison to Nazis. But ultimately the same issue at play here.

Regarding OP, well the guy committed crime discharging a firearm into the air, damaging private property and in contravention to FFA prohibitions against discharging at crafts.

I mean, he must have heard it perhaps? That's why ideally if these drones were more quiet, you'd frankly get into less trouble because its less eyes on it.

People don't own the airspace above their property. Airspace is federal. But where do you allow reasonable enjoyment of your airspace? Is that clearly defined? So what is to stop some neighbor launching a drone from their property, fly 2 feet off your roof all day and buzz you during daylight hours where noise bylaws are not broken? I mean, they'd be clearly trolling and harassing, but they are legally flying in the airspace?

Reactions: peterepeat69
Regarding OP, well the guy committed crime discharging a firearm into the air, damaging private property and in contravention to FFA prohibitions against discharging at crafts.

I mean, he must have heard it perhaps? That's why ideally if these drones were more quiet, you'd frankly get into less trouble because its less eyes on it.

People don't own the airspace above their property. Airspace is federal. But where do you allow reasonable enjoyment of your airspace? Is that clearly defined? So what is to stop some neighbor launching a drone from their property, fly 2 feet off your roof all day and buzz you during daylight hours where noise bylaws are not broken? I mean, they'd be clearly trolling and harassing, but they are legally flying in the airspace?

I'll add also when you fire a bullet on the air you risk that projectile coming down injuring or even killing someone that alone is an offence.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I was flying my couple month old phantom 3 advanced quad and some idiot shot it with a 22. I was not flying or looking at his property I till I noticed he was firing at me. Turn because I couldn't believe it and started looking to see who was shooting and bam! Disconnected from my controller to my bird. Luckily my bird did what was it supposed to do, flew home. When got back I noticed it was hit in the VPS and Ofdm module. What are my rights. PLEASE HELP.
I in the central part of lousisana, around the Lafayette area way out in the country.

Sorry to hear about this. If I was you, I'd be thankin a higher up you ain't out in the bayou as gator poop. If he could hit your P3 from >200' (100yd guessin) with a squirrel gun, he certainly could have punched your ticket much the same.

As for your rights, well, it gets kinda grity and you will need to prove EXACTLY where it ws flying. For that you need your data logs. Problem is, that could save or doom you depending where it was.

You are probably within your rights to press charges against him. You might want to look up the laws about firing or discharging a firearm within a residential neighborhood. Below are a couple of articles about Louisiana and the laws they were trying to pass but didn't pass. One bill passed but only if the drone was used for criminal activity. Interesting read.
Drone bill dies in Louisiana House committee

Drone Law in Louisiana | Seale & Ross

I'm sure there is more info on the web. Stand up for your rights because he does not have the right to shoot your property. Good luck to you!

Said the guy was a turd!! Lol. Guy tried to say I've been watching his daughter and chasing his cows the past few weeks.

Didn't somebody else on this forum admit to chasing cows recently?

The guy who shot you may actually be telling the truth about being harassed for weeks and only wrong about assuming it was you - I'm not trying to be racist or anything but to a lot of people - all phantoms look the same....

PS: please post the pictures of his daughter!
:) j/k

Too bad it wasn't a Sheriff drone! :rolleyes:

i-d8PJjM3-Th.gif
He wa so amazed by it in awe of it. Gave me his card said when i it fixed he like it, if I don't mind, for me to give him a call, that he'd like to see it fly. He was amazed by how clear the video was. He watched it on my laptop while I was downloading him a Cody of flight. Told him I didn't mind at all and that I'd probably fly it a bit. That I'd just put him above 200ft so he wouldn't be able to hit anything unintentional, power lines and such. I told him he'd have to watch out for those flying lead bugs. We both got a good laugh. They are not all bad.
I agree with others here.... keeping your cool and not acting stupid will get you ALOT further!
i sure hope that this ding dong (being polite here) has to pay for a new bird, AND serves jail time! and acts stupid in court!
Hopefully you have the video, flight telemetry data and any other evidence that will NAIL his coffin SHUT!
Yep, done gave it all to Sherrif officer and dectiectives.

Reactions: pomonabill220
You are absolutely right.

Personally, I don't know why people are hung up on the UAV aspect of it. It doesn't matter where the UAV was or if it had a "right" to be there. The bigger problem in this scenario is the reckless discharge or a firearm into the air. They guy could have been aiming at a bird or a cloud. Most states have rules for discharge. Firing over a public roadway is generally illegal.

Sure, I would be upset if someone damaged my property. That, however is a small issue compared to human safety. Firing a gun in an unsafe direction can get someone killed.

In my state as well, an intentionally negligent discharge would very likely get you arrested. Bye bye pistol license. Bye bye long guns. Hello NICS denied list. People have lost their rights for less.
He shot like 10 times. I could hear the shots from my house. Just had one lucky one.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Check out the last episode of the Goodwife on CBS. All the legalities were brought up. Don't know how accurate they were but interesting legal views. Long and short of it was if you were above 87 feet and below 500 feet you may have some legal standing. Even better, if your bird had an N number or any federal registration you might want to let the FAA know.
Yep. Got FFA number on both sides in 1/2 inch lettering in bold print from my label maker.

Sorry to hear about this. If I was you, I'd be thankin a higher up you ain't out in the bayou as gator poop. If he could hit your P3 from >200' (100yd guessin) with a squirrel gun, he certainly could have punched your ticket much the same.

As for your rights, well, it gets kinda grity and you will need to prove EXACTLY where it ws flying. For that you need your data logs. Problem is, that could save or doom you depending where it was.
I'm should be totally cleared of any wrong doing. They have copy of the actual flight and all data I was around 375ft altitude when I heard the shots from all the way at my house so throttled down since I was wide open heading down a desolate backwoods hwy. I dropped my bird down to right above 200ft mark and started to look around at the only houses that I was by for a good 100 meters. contiued hear shots so I circled around the area a few times to put my mind at ease because I couldn't wrap my mind around that someone was actually shooting at me. Just couldn't believe it. I haven't disturbed anyone in the 20 is so flights that I've flown. Then as I was about to head home, bam!! Lost all communication from the phantom. I thought at first that it was downed, sitting in the field that I was in from circling around. But to my surprise I all of a sudden heard the buzzing of the props. Lights were totally out. Even though the events that just happened filled me with instant anger, I just had to smile. My 2 sons were cheering like they were at a foot ball game.

Didn't somebody else on this forum admit to chasing cows recently?

The guy who shot you may actually be telling the truth about being harassed for weeks and only wrong about assuming it was you - I'm not trying to be racist or anything but to a lot of people - all phantoms look the same....

PS: please post the pictures of his daughter!
:) j/k
There is a guy about three fields down the road from me that has the exact same setup as me. I told the sherif. I think ol boy was just trying to make his stupidness justifiable. Feel me?

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.