So confused - which drone to buy?

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which drone to buy , a P4P or a Mavic 2 Pro, but every time I think I have finally made the right choice another thread pops up detailing problems with the drone I thought I was going to buy. Each problem seems to be a game changer. P4P V1 with is battery falling out, P4Pv2 with its drifting, slow yaw, tilted horizon and trouble flying straight, Mavic 2 Pro with camera issues including edge distortion, soft focus, gimbals coming unglued.

I think the P5 is a way away and will probably be priced too high.

The more I read, the more confused I become. I know that many people only complain on forums about problems they have with their bird and few tell about the great things, but it is all becoming overwhelming. I am about to sign up to take my 107 and wanted to start a small business on a fairly limited budget. I don't want to invest in a dud and end up out of business before I start, unable to provide customers with any consistent quality.

I'm sure other people have faced the same dilemma before...any help, PLEASE!

I feel the same as you. I have a Spark, love it now its time for something with a little more oomph, I was thinking P4Pv2 or M2 Zoom cause of Occusync 2 as someone living in NYC the interference I get is insane. P4 Pro and v2.0 hardware around the battery clip are the same, there is a sensor though in the v2.0 that says if its not all the way in, but the clipping mechanism is identical

So much of this , is finding the right combination that will allow you to fly stable long enough to become a good pilot.
My recommendation : The Phantom 4 Pro with the Plus controller, and flying with the older 509 firmware .

This set up provides some of the best of what DJI has to offer along with of course some of the Best Accessories you can get , the Phantom Rain Wet Suit was designed to fix all the Problems that the Phantom 4 Pro had , because we thought it was worth it.

Once we solved the Battery Issue, the Leg Clips issue, the Prop Issue, and made it weather proof , we had taken a great drone and ENHANCED it in every way.

No matter what drone you get , you are going to spend a lot of wasted time on figuring out that updates will hurt you and your drone, that is why making your drone stable is the key to finding money and enjoyment.

Not having to worry about phones, interruptions, ipads, updates, dead batteries , Priceless.
The Plus controller Rock solid have yet to have a single shut down.

We fly almost every other day looking for ways to test are Phantom Rain Gear.
The Phantom 4 pro set up is something we can rely on.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Reactions: skiptv
What is your opinion on Lightbridge vs Occusync? As a resident in a major urban city I am nervous about the transmission

What is your opinion on Lightbridge vs Occusync? As a resident in a major urban city I am nervous about the transmission

Let just say that Occusync has the edge, but Newer means more updates, and more updates means problems because of how DJI makes updates so dramatic.

I would much rather you recommend a reflective Shield to extend your attena, that would be a better way to go and they have some incredible Antenna extenders on the market some of which can enhance the connection dramatically.

Reactions: skiptv
every time I think I have finally made the right choice another thread pops up detailing problems with the drone I thought I was going to buy
You've come to the right place if you're looking for problems. That's a big part of what's discussed in places like this. Just because a handful of people ran into a problem doesn't necessarily mean you're going to face the same problem.

The P4P and Mavic 2 Pro are both great drones. Choose the one that fits your needs the best.

Already have a phantom 3 converted from advanced to pro... Stable and good video. You're right about the upgrades. Once you find one that works, stick with it... Better to be safe than "fancy".

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I have had the P3s P4s P4A mavic pro and now mavic air. All the phantoms were great. The P4A was the best for image quality especially in low light. But they are not very portable especially if you do a lot of travel by motorcycle as I do. The MP and MA are perfect for this but the MP is poor in low light, the MA is a good all around unit but battery life is a problem if you are say on vacation and want to fly out across a stretch to a island or canyon, you really only have about 15 minutes to get it done safely were the MP will give you an extra 5 minutes which is a lot. As far as portable I have identical cases for both and the only difference is the MP has 3 batteries and the MA 4.
Personally I am going to wait for the MP2 zoom to come up on the refurb listings then buy one as the refurbs are the best deals. for now I use my MA for most things as the camera is just a bit better than the MP

They often say "the best camera is the one you have with you". An expensive DSLR is great, but often, some of my best images of opportunity come from my iPhone. I feel the same way about drones. My P4P was not used so much since it was not easy to carry with me. The Mavic 2 Pro fits right in my standard camera bag and, while the video needs to be post processed, that's not a major issue. There is no perfect drone for all situations but, I have learned that the Mavic 2 Pro meets 90% of my needs.

BTW, I know some who have spent a lifetime trying to buy the PERFECT camera bag ... it will never happen. No more than buying THE PERFECT drone. Go out and get a drone and begin to master flying, licensing, knowing where and when you can fly and all that goes with becoming a drone pilot.

We only have a drone for work, not pleasure, where the camera quality needs to be very good and there's overall high reliability. We've found the P4P+ to be brilliant. And, contrary to some other opinions, it's portable - with everything fitting into a small custom backpack.

We deliberately waited and waited and waited for years before getting a drone, until the P4P was out and road-tested to iron-out early teething problems.

I'm sure that most problems (nowadays) are because of human error. Sadly, people are usually sloppy. Putting the battery in its slot isn't rocket science - and I'm deaf - but a click is a click; if necessary, do it again to make sure - which takes less than 10 seconds.

I have no hesitation whatsoever in hugely recommending the P4P. I hope this brief summary helps in your decision. If you need a more detailed summary, you should be able to find one I wrote in or around January? 2018.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl