Smart battery difficulties.

Reaction score
My phantom 2 smart battery is playing up. It charges up all fine and I have done the check of the cells by holding g down the on button and all appears fine. It gets bad when I fly it. The first 10 seconds of flight are okay but after that ( not even punching it up, just hovering) the low voltage rear LEDs flash red and it tries to land its self. I have seen what would happen if I try and keep it flying (Again just hovering) and the green indicators go down from 4 to 1 in roughly a minute and a half.
When I have discharged the battery I have left it and come back after a while and nothing has happened and then I come back after 2 minutes and the battery indicators go right down.
Please help!

How old are they? I don’t know anything about P2’s but it sounds like the battery has lived its life. Possibly a bad cell or more.

My phantom 2 smart battery is playing up. It charges up all fine and I have done the check of the cells by holding g down the on button and all appears fine. It gets bad when I fly it. The first 10 seconds of flight are okay but after that ( not even punching it up, just hovering) the low voltage rear LEDs flash red and it tries to land its self. I have seen what would happen if I try and keep it flying (Again just hovering) and the green indicators go down from 4 to 1 in roughly a minute and a half.
When I have discharged the battery I have left it and come back after a while and nothing has happened and then I come back after 2 minutes and the battery indicators go right down.
Please help!

It's time to replace them check both eBay and Amazon both sell aftermarket batteries. Use this search term: Phantom 2 vision 11.1v 5200mAh batteries.

How old are they? I don’t know anything about P2’s but it sounds like the battery has lived its life. Possibly a bad cell or more.

If batteries were stored properly one could get many years use out of them. I still fly with batteries bought in 2014 & 2015 it's all how you store them.

The drone along with 2 batteries were given to me and the guy who gave it to me flew it once or twice when the phantom first came out and then never used it. That should explain it.

The drone along with 2 batteries were given to me and the guy who gave it to me flew it once or twice when the phantom first came out and then never used it. That should explain it.

Use the search term I posted above for replacements.

Hi I have a similar battery problem phantom 2 battery says all 4 cells fully charged but when I try to power drone shows 1 single flashing green light I then try to charge the battery and nothing happens no red light and no charge indicators and green light on charger anyone had similar problems with the battery and is there any fix or is it time for a new one ? Cheers

Hi I have a similar battery problem phantom 2 battery says all 4 cells fully charged but when I try to power drone shows 1 single flashing green light I then try to charge the battery and nothing happens no red light and no charge indicators and green light on charger anyone had similar problems with the battery and is there any fix or is it time for a new one ? Cheers
If when you plug in your battery to charge try turning it on ... I need to do that to a couple of my batteries to get them to charge... they will turn off once fully charged.

Batteries that old and not stored with continuous 40-60% charge have lost capacity.

There is no fix.

Replacement is required.

Batteries that old and not stored with continuous 40-60% charge have lost capacity.

There is no fix.

Replacement is required.
Understandable... when I got my my P2 it came with 6 batteries... 1 was given a 21 gun salute...
The other 5 still live on...
And I just got my P2 back in November...

Please help!

Forget all the 'lost capacity' ... 'switch on before charging' ............ the answer is very simple.

Your battery is showing the typical high Internal resistance characteristic. Probably because previous owner just left the batterys to their own devices ... and age.

You charge the battery ... all indicators show a full charged battery. You plug into your model and power up. As long as nothing is asked of the model - all still shows fine.
You then hit the take-off and power demand climbs sharply and internal resistance fights the demand .. voltage drops seriously, amps increase tyo try compensate, resistance fights back - voltage drops more.

Result is - you have a very short flight !! (The flight times will shorten each time battery is subjected to this, eventually becoming unusable for flight).

You can land ... power off ... let it rest ... test battery and quite likely you will get a good charge level indication. Try take-off again and you get repeat situation but quicker !!

Unfortunately - there is absolutely NO CURE for this .. LiPo batterys are accumulative on damage ... only remedy is replacement.

You can always use these old batterys as bench testers instead of using good ones.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic