small crack on battery

Reaction score
My phantom 4a never been crashed or dropped, but I just noticed a small crack on the battery, Should I be concerned, Everything reads fine on the battery
battery.jpg

Reactions: Jim Canada
The battery cap just doesn't have enough reinforcement for the pressure that is put on it. Many are like that. The battery could be compromised and not stay strongly seated in the drone while flying. Some have tried to help reinforce it by taking the cap off and epoxy it. Don't take off forward fast. It might eject the battery. It's your call.

The battery cap just doesn't have enough reinforcement for the pressure that is put on it. Many are like that. The battery could be compromised and not stay strongly seated in the drone while flying. Some have tried to help reinforce it by taking the cap off and epoxy it. Don't take off forward fast. It might eject the battery. It's your call.

thanks
I normally just take off going up a few feet and then switching over to tripod mode,,, I dont need to fly fast

Reactions: Jim Canada
This is a common issue and it's due to a bad design. The springs on the inside of the battery cap place more pressure on the top than it's able to withstand.

P4-Battery-Spring-Pressure-Crack.jpg

I have had a crack like this for a least two years now and it hasn't caused any problems at all

Reactions: MTO
This is a common issue and it's due to a bad design. The springs on the inside of the battery cap place more pressure on the top than it's able to withstand.

That picture and explanation really put my mind at ease! Thank you! :)

View attachment 118067
Hi and thanks for sharing this info. Both of my batteries have developed cracks in this area and they do indeed appear to be the result of pressure from within.

Is it a simple matter to remove the 'cap'. And if so are replacement parts available? And better still have DJI ever recognised that this a wide spread issue caused by poor design and offered replacements?

All the best, Martin

Is it a simple matter to remove the 'cap'. And if so are replacement parts available?
I've never seen anyone selling replacement tops. They are hard to remove, so I'd expect any replacements to have a lot of damage from trying to remove them.

have DJI ever recognised that this a wide spread issue caused by poor design and offered replacements?
This has been a problem for some time now. If your drone is still under warranty, you could contact DJI to see if they'll replace them.

I installed a small and thin piece of aluminum to spread and reduce the pressure of the spring on the cover

Attachments

• E7D05056-AD52-4883-81A3-4169E9C25CDB.jpeg
    E7D05056-AD52-4883-81A3-4169E9C25CDB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Reactions: cneedelman and MTO
Hi and thanks for sharing this info. Both of my batteries have developed cracks in this area and they do indeed appear to be the result of pressure from within.

Is it a simple matter to remove the 'cap'. And if so are replacement parts available? And better still have DJI ever recognised that this a wide spread issue caused by poor design and offered replacements?

All the best, Martin
I checked with DJI support and they don’t have the battery front cover available for sale. Try with your local repair shops for damage batteries and get the front covers from them

Reactions: SMSgt Tom (ret)
It must be about 2 years now that I glued cracks in the battery and the craft with Locktite 414 and all the cracks have not expanded all is solid. I tried other types of glues with not so good results but the 414 works very well with this plastic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic