Slightly bent props... can I still fly?

Reaction score
4e9e0719b0f6e1560751bcdef46f2071.jpg

Is it safe to fly with these?

The props you have now will create severe balancing issues when the motors are running. This can cause cracks in your frame over time and damage the motors.

As others have said, it's best to just replace them.

Reactions: ObiDon
Definitely replace and I am really curious about how they got so bent in the first place?

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Your props are a VERY important part of a balanced and smooth "System". There is no way I'd risk the whole aircraft over a $20 set of props.

Bending them "might" put excessive stress and cause cracks that could later (or sooner) become failure. Again why risk it?

I say keep flying them. Save the money for a few beer. If you run into any issue, please be sure to report back tho. :)

Worse case, you can upgrade to the latest model. Win Win all around if you ask me. :)

Reactions: Rocktopper
I'd imagine that the centrifugal force will straighten out props when flying. Ever see a full size helicopter sitting on the ground stationary? It's props are drooped down towards the ground.

Depends how they got damaged - inside a hot case could cause them to bend out of shape - but it they've hit something? Different story. Hold the craft by the legs and fire it up and then look at the props along the plane of rotation, you'll soon see if they are still bent when spinning fast.

Reactions: FrequentHighFlyer
Ok. I got into a "mini crash". I was flying very fast very close to the ground. My vps then brought my p3p down and it flipped. Nothing is broken on the bird, but my cf props broke. I then put these on and I saw the footage was shaky. I brought it down. I then went home, checked the gimbal, everything was fine. I then noticed that the previous owner (I bought it slightly used) had put 4 retainer pins. 1 of them was even put on backwards. I then removed 2 of them and left 2 diagonally. I then calibrated the imu and the gimbal. I haven't flown yet, and i can't because these props are bent. The gimbal and the camera are fine, so I wonder if I'll get the same shaky footage or not. It seemed more like too many vibrations, so I wonder if I fixed that when I removed 2 pins... I'm really anxious and scared

Drink a 'martini' and it'll be ok....

Yeah, I'm on the "be patient and replace" side.
Anxious is an unsafe way to fly.
Everybody should always have at least one set of spare props at all times.
I don't even know how many props I've been through, but I've got a pile of spares and news.
If one prop gets damaged, they ALL get replaced.
Better than shaking your bird to death or succumbing to gravity.
But if you choose to fly and it tumbles into a parking lot or other equally unforgiving surface, be sure to post the footage. Makes for great entertainment.

Yeah for sure. I'm on that side too. As you said, I just have to be patient. Would you recommend CF props or plastics ones?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl