Since I am new to this ... a little advice please.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comprehensive check-off list of what to do when activating a P4Pv2 for the 1st time. I'm assuming that I'll need to immediately charge the batteries and the controller, then once I turn it on, the control unit will let me know if there are firmware updates? Will it let me know about the battery firmware too?

I know I'm probably being too **** about it but that's probably due to my military background (haha). I've probably also read too many of the "horror" stories posted on various forums and it's gotten me concerned about following the proper procedures when I first get this thing going. Haven't done anything with it yet (other than unboxing it and such) as I'm waiting for the other 2 batteries I ordered from DJI so I can charge and update them all at the same time (if needed).

So, if anyone has a checklist that they use, it would be much appreciated if you'd post it for me.

Thanks in advance!

GB

YouTube is your friend. That, and read the manual 3 times. You will need to activate through your DJI account. Go through all your settings in the app with the aircraft (ac) on while sitting in your favorite chair. Leave the props off while that is going on. You will go through half a battery getting familiar with the go4 app and the controller. Take your time.

Reactions: LARA images
GB: Your military background is a bonus. Most people massively underestimate the countless benefits and scope of “be prepared”. Books (plural) could be filled with this crucial subject matter.

I won’t repeat what Starz has said above, other than to endorse his final words of “take your time”.

After we unboxed, we recharged everything, calibrated the compass, and took very small steps to learn to fly the drone (in our case a P4P+). We also followed a YouTube video, plus made adjustments for filming (such as switching to manual setting with a 1/50th second shutter speed and ISO 100, etc).

Now that we’re more experienced, our pre-flight and in-flight checklist is as follows:

Is the battery fully charged? (And, on-going through a flight, what battery power is remaining?)

Carefully check the props are on properly (after putting them on).

We always use a ND/PL filter, so it’s checked for rotational positioning after first making sure it’s clean.

GPS and home point update?

We check wind direction, especially in case the drone would be battling against a head wind on its way back.

Unless there is a pressing urgency for rapid filming (e.g. a fast-moving wildlife opportunity which could be missed), we takeoff and hover for 15-20 seconds to see if everything is fine.

Adjust the aperture for exposure.

Tap the screen to engage focus. (Apparently, this is something commonly overlooked, resulting in a less-than-sharp picture.)

Turn on “record” when required. (This sounds obvious, but I’ve twice forgotten - or it didn’t actually engage after my tap - due to the excitement of a situation. We were focused on getting everything else correct. So, now, this is checked and re-checked during a flight. We usually switch “record” on and off and on again several times per flight.)

Finally, because filming is the one and only reason for our drone flights, we go over the film sequences or objectives both before takeoff and again before returning to the landing site (or LZ if you prefer).

When back home, we recharge the batteries (two are sufficient in our case) and RC. We also download the footage (making two or three copies) and clear the memory card ready for the next flight.

As you will appreciate, the discipline of habit ensures a consistent level of performance.

Adding to the above: The YouTube video for unboxing and setting everything up that I found most helpful was made by Marionville Multirotors, titled “DJI Phantom 4 Pro: Getting Started.”

I’m British, so the Scottish accent wasn’t a problem. Everything was covered really well, in an experienced no-hype way. And at a sufficiently slow pace for a newbie.

As well as sounding Scottish, the excellent presenter is middle aged, wears glasses, and is somewhat bald. (Just so you know it’s the right YouTube video. Apologies for not being able to add a link right now.)

I think this is the video @African wildlife was referring to

Btw- Scottish people are easier to understand after a couple of pints, it’s one of my favourite accents (I have a few Scottish Mates).

Edit- I see the link already posted, no idea why I didn’t see that before.

Wow, thanks to all for the excellent and helpful advice! I know there are some great people on this forum and you folks confirmed that.

BTW, my initial post had a small mistake, that being my drone is a Phantom 4 Pro + v2. So, thanks again to Starz and others who took the time to post info based on what I originally posted (nice attention to detail!).

I finally did get the last of my initial order yesterday (those 2 extra batteries), so I've got a brand new Phantom 4 Pro + v2 and all the accessories just waiting to be flown and ... now I find that I have to fly out on business tomorrow morning for about 10 days (heavy sigh). Go figure. So it looks like I will spend my evenings in the hotel watching Youtube videos and making my checklist! Gives me something to look forward to when coming back!

Thanks again for everyone's help! You Rock!

GB

Don't wait for the batteries. Start playing. You have a lot to learn. It's not as bad as you think.
no, its bad to not charge your batteries to 100 procent
i forgot the theory about it but its a no from every info ive seen about it
always charge first to max when getting a new device

If you haven't done so already I would recommend that you read, and understand the flight manual thoroughly before you do anything else. Then, when you're done, read it again.

Bud

I'm looking for a comprehensive check-off list of what to do when activating a P4Pv2 for the 1st time. I'm assuming that I'll need to immediately charge the batteries and the controller, then once I turn it on, the control unit will let me know if there are firmware updates? Will it let me know about the battery firmware too?

I know I'm probably being too **** about it but that's probably due to my military background (haha). I've probably also read too many of the "horror" stories posted on various forums and it's gotten me concerned about following the proper procedures when I first get this thing going. Haven't done anything with it yet (other than unboxing it and such) as I'm waiting for the other 2 batteries I ordered from DJI so I can charge and update them all at the same time (if needed).

So, if anyone has a checklist that they use, it would be much appreciated if you'd post it for me.

Thanks in advance!

GB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20