Silly questions

Reaction score
So, silly questions. B4uFly says to not fly. The VIP NOTAM it references is not actually in effect yet. Say its 6PM local time and the TFR starts at 10pm local and ends at 6AM local the following day. Is this just a warning in B4UFly and you are safe to fly in the area until the TSR starts? Are commercial type of services done for free still considered recreational flying? Not for a portfolio or anything, just as an excuse to fly. Is the AMA insurance for membership as good as it sound for a worse case scenario? It seems like the deductible would cover most incidents, but better safe than sorry! Pay $75 and no additional liability insurance for a recreational flight would be necessary for a year?

Just double check that you aren't mixing local and Zulu time. While I wouldn't fly right up to the start time, flying before and after the TFR shouldn't be a problem. That's why it's 'Temporary'. The whole issue of commercial vs hobby flying has been discussed repeatedly on other threads here. Bottom line is that if anyone would benefit regardless of whether any money changes hands, the flight is commercial. Insurance was one reason that I joined AMA. I have read some threads discussing that the insurance is actually 'on top' of your homeowners insurance and kicks in after the HO policy is tapped out. Haven't confirmed that yet.

Sweet, Those answer what I had "Thought" was right, but always good to run things by others. Except the pay vs use for commercial. That is a bummer. I had read the AMA safety codes, sounded like basic safe flight.

B4UFLY app can't be trusted. There is an air show this weekend and a TFR was issued for Friday through Sunday. However, B4UFLY shows this as a TFR today (two days before). The app doesn't look at the time.

SoCalDude that is exactly what bothered me. In B4UFly you can click the other guidance button, then click on the TFR entry that will link to the NOTAM that affects you and you can read the specific times. When you open it, it is all like NO FLY, but it seems that (as i suspected) the NOTAM dates/times are what really matters. "Do not fly without checking local TFR details" would have been better worded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31