Show this to the next person that says the P4 or drones have "killed privacy"!

Reaction score
I was answering a question in a thread earlier and went off topic to discuss giga-pixel cameras which have been around by the way for about 16 years but have become available to the general public and semi-afforadale prices when before it was for people that knew how to build their own cameras. I've been a member of the AVS forums for years so that's where I first learned about them.

The point is the next time someone tells you that flying your P4 or even P3, Tornado, S1000, or even a telephoto lens with you hiding in black as stated by that dude that made the video that rightly explained that a telephoto lens with black clothes poses WAY more of a risk of looking through a window than a Phantom 4 can by a long shot. You can fly a Phantom 4 right up to someone's window and with the 20mm lens can barely make out what's going inside and plus it's loud as hell from that close.

So again, if you want to have a good retort to people that have claimed that the "drone revolution" has killed privacy as they do on my blogs and YouTube channel all the time, check out these images. It's amazing and scary.

This was shot 3 years ago and there are MUCH better giga-pixel cameras than this one now. This one you can get from Panasonic right now for about 10-15k.

Just ammunition for the next person that says drones have killed privacy. Nope, it's all in the camera.

hd_view_seattle.jpg

gigapixel-photography1.jpg

photozoom-troy-gua-and-panorama-images-via-gigapixel-art-zoom.jpg

hd_view_gigapixel_image.jpg

"Hey you, what's your license plate number!?!? HEY YOU?!??!! Ahhh, never mind" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

zoomable-tokyo-picture.jpg

liverpool_full.jpg

Good point....but Gigapixel cameras don't fly over your backyard when u are having a private function, pool party or sunbathing.

Sent from my SM-G928I using PhantomPilots mobile app
Why would you need to? You can be 3 miles away and snap a shot and get a better view then the P4 can. That IS the point.

No need to dress in black with a telephoto lens and hide in the bushes. You can be miles away screaming at the top of your lungs "NICE BOOBS!!!" and nobody will be the wiser. lol. Point is that the privacy issue was long dead before anyone was flying quads. Giga-pixel cameras are NOT new.

Reactions: cfd701 and Sim597
I agree the privacy issue was long dead. I live in an area where we do not have sky rise apartments. There have been occasions where people flew drones over private functions in back yards or properties. No giga pixel here buddy, just a snoopy drone operator who would be seconds from his/her drone shot out of the sky. That's my point. Too many people flying them in neighbourhoods or private land where they have no business. If my kids are having a party in our back yard and some perv flies a drone over, is that ok?

Plus, I am sure more people own a drone than a giga pixel setup. Giga pixel enthusiasts aren't specifically looking to breach privacy, certain irresponsible drone users are.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Why would you need to? You can be 3 miles away and snap a shot and get a better view then the P4 can. That IS the point.

No need to dress in black with a telephoto lens and hide in the bushes. You can be miles away screaming at the top of your lungs "NICE BOOBS!!!" and nobody will be the wiser. lol. Point is that the privacy issue was long dead before anyone was flying quads. Giga-pixel cameras are NOT new.

No u can't be 3 miles away and get a better shot. Giga pixel is just normal telephoto photos stitched together. It's not some special technology. U still are limited by your lens focal length. People fly drones over backyards, not 3 miles away but literally feet away. Cmon man, comparing giga pixel to drone is pointless. Perhaps you should compare a paparazzi peeping over your fence to a drone, then you will have a more accurate comparison.

I strongly believe the introduction of drones has decreased people's privacy and fully support govt policing on illegal drone operation. Fly it within the rules and guidelines and we have no issue. Fly it over my backyard when my kids are playing, prepare to have it taken out of the air by what means I have available.

Reactions: N017RW
No u can't be 3 miles away and get a better shot. Giga pixel is just normal telephoto photos stitched together. It's not some special technology. U still are limited by your lens focal length. People fly drones over backyards, not 3 miles away but literally feet away. Cmon man, comparing giga pixel to drone is pointless. Perhaps you should compare a paparazzi peeping over your fence to a drone, then you will have a more accurate comparison.
Do you just see things???

A gigapixel image is a digital image bitmap composed of one billion (109) pixels (picture elements), 1000 times the information captured by a 1 megapixel digital camera or larger and pose a MUCH larger threat to privacy than a drone ever could unless it was equipped with a gigapixel camera but since a giga needs about 5 minutes to shoot an image or something like that, highly unlikely that we will see moving gigapixel cameras anytime soon.

Watch the video on the top of the thread. Those are images caught with a single shot from a gigapixel camera and and it shows how you can zoom from miles away and say things like people, phones, license plates, etc. Good lord, how him the way. Are you over 12? I am not asking that rudely. You would be a pretty smart 12 year old but if you are over that, where are you getting this odd info that you keep saying?

Yes, comparing a gigapixel to a drone is pointless which was exactly the point. People are afraid of privacy because of drones when gigapixel cams have been around for almost two decades but they are not in the news every day and most people don't even know they exist and some don't even have any idea how they work.

A giga panorama it stitched together like any other pano but a gigapixel shot is just like any other camera. In fact, a gigapixel camera is just like any camera but with a GIG of pixels or more.

If you were to take a 16MP camera or 12, whatever is on the Phantom and multiply it by 1000, that's how much the giga version of that is. So 12,000 mega pixels.

Last edited:
I agree the privacy issue was long dead. I live in an area where we do not have sky rise apartments. There have been occasions where people flew drones over private functions in back yards or properties. No giga pixel here buddy, just a snoopy drone operator who would be seconds from his/her drone shot out of the sky. That's my point. Too many people flying them in neighbourhoods or private land where they have no business. If my kids are having a party in our back yard and some perv flies a drone over, is that ok?

Plus, I am sure more people own a drone than a giga pixel setup. Giga pixel enthusiasts aren't specifically looking to breach privacy, certain irresponsible drone users are.

Indeed! My point was that the technology is there not that the masses have access to it. Wait a minute and they will. Right now you can get a gigapixel for way under 10k if you look hard enough and before you couldn't get one unless you knew how to build cameras. You all should visit the AVS forums.

Sorry dude, I was thinking giga pan, not pixel. Point taken. Still, hands up who has a giga pixel camera? My point is drones make it possible for nefarious users to exploit privacy now. That's all.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Sorry dude, I was thinking giga pan, not pixel. Point taken. Still, hands up who has a giga pixel camera? My point is drones make it possible for nefarious users to exploit privacy now. That's all.

Nice.

This guy does a pretty good job of expelling the myth that drones also really don't add a way to spy either that you can't do better with a telephoto lens. The whole idea of spying with drones is really a myth. If you are a peeping tom and you're gonna spy, drones don't help much. The tools have always been there.

I agree that something has to be done about people invading privacy. All houses with an upstairs must have the windows on the second floor boarded up! Before getting on a step ladder to clean your gutters you must place a notice in the local paper and all neighbors must consent in writing. Don't even think about getting on the roof to retrieve that frisbee.

I think the idea of using a drone for spying on the neighbor has limits. However, I am absolutely adamant that I do not want any video surveillance system over my house without my permission. The supreme court has determined that warrantless surveillance is illegal. Such surveillance, even if limited by the resolution of the camera, is an unreasonable intrusion and violation of the constitutional right of privacy.

As such, the argument that the resolution is inadequate to obtain good imagery is fallacious and limited. One could argue that the limitations of cell phone technology made it unnecessary to be concerned about privacy rights. However, the courts have established rules and guidelines that make unapproved recording of cell conversations a violation of privacy and illegal. As such, any video recording of a person in their home, is a violation of the protection of the home privacy under the third amendment.

So, argue all you want, I try to keep clear of neighbors and homes unless I am about 300 feet and heading out. Of, if I can confirm no one is in my field of view.

Some people are paranoid that a noisy drone will look thrue their windows but then they own a smart tv that can look and listen in their house and have cell phones that can track them and listen and see what they do all day, etc. etc. etc. Relax, Big Brother and little brother is already watching you and he does not need a noisy quad.

Reactions: Krampus
I agree that something has to be done about people invading privacy. All houses with an upstairs must have the windows on the second floor boarded up! Before getting on a step ladder to clean your gutters you must place a notice in the local paper and all neighbors must consent in writing. Don't even think about getting on the roof to retrieve that frisbee.

Yeah I happened to look out my second story master bedroom window one time and saw my neighbor nude sunbathing o_O

I think the idea of using a drone for spying on the neighbor has limits. However, I am absolutely adamant that I do not want any video surveillance system over my house without my permission. The supreme court has determined that warrantless surveillance is illegal. Such surveillance, even if limited by the resolution of the camera, is an unreasonable intrusion and violation of the constitutional right of privacy.

So, argue all you want, I try to keep clear of neighbors and homes unless I am about 300 feet and heading out. Of, if I can confirm no one is in my field of view.

So you're ok flying over your neighbors homes at 300 feet but not ok with them flying over your home at 300 feet?

Sigh, why nit pick.

I noted "heading out." There is no fourth amendment right stopping a helicopter from flying over your home on the way to the airport. There is a constitutionally protected right from the helicopter hovering over your home and taking a picture.

Your point is invalid. And ignores the fourth amendment.

Sigh, why nit pick.

I noted "heading out." There is no fourth amendment right stopping a helicopter from flying over your home on the way to the airport. There is a constitutionally protected right from the helicopter hovering over your home and taking a picture.

Your point is invalid. And ignores the fourth amendment.
Nit pick? This is what you said "However, I am absolutely adamant that I do not want any video surveillance system over my house without my permission." So you are cool with me flying over your house at 300 if I keep moving?

Drones are a weird one, none of the amendments really covers them. Does the second means it's ok to shoot your drone down while heading out?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl