Should we really be calling ourselves "pilots" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckaye said:
I can... I have a MS is psychology. You're crazy... I can tell you that... But because I'm not a doctor... I can't give you the medication you need.
Wow, that was harsh, Buckaye...Do you really have an MS in psychology, or is that...BS. And...assuming you are not joking... that degree makes you instantly qualified to call him..."crazy"? Not disagreeing with your prognosis, just curious how many sessions you have had with this guy, to come up with that conclusion. The psychologist I go to, took him 2 years before he gave me, that same diagnosis... :cry:

Khudson7 said:
Buckaye said:
I can... I have a MS is psychology. You're crazy... I can tell you that... But because I'm not a doctor... I can't give you the medication you need.
Wow, that was harsh, Buckaye...Do you really have an MS in psychology, or is that...BS. And...assuming you are not joking... that degree makes you instantly qualified to call him..."crazy"? Not disagreeing with your prognosis, just curious how many sessions you have had with this guy, to come up with that conclusion. The psychologist I go to, took him 2 years before he gave me, that same diagnosis... :cry:

You're right... I shouldn't have said that... Been in a lot of debates with him lately and when he starts saying inappropriate things like people who want to call themselves pilots have deep rooted emotional/psychological problems... I get irritated... Will go back and edit, because that wasn't fair.

I do have a MS in Psychology by the way... Still human and make mistakes :)

Buckaye said:
I have a MS is psychology. You're crazy... I can tell you that... But because I'm not a doctor... I can't give you the medication you need.

You have zero qualifications to medically diagnose and treat, but you want to include yourself in the term "healthcare provider" and make a diagnosis anway.

You have zero qualifications to call yourself a real pilot, but since you operate a little plastic flying toy you decide to call yourself a "pilot" anyway.

I'm detecting a disturbing trend about your ego here.

MadMitch88 said:
Buckaye said:
I have a MS is psychology. You're crazy... I can tell you that... But because I'm not a doctor... I can't give you the medication you need.

You have zero qualifications to medically diagnose and treat, but you want to include yourself in the term "healthcare provider" and make a diagnosis anway.

You have zero qualifications to call yourself a real pilot, but since you operate a little plastic toy you decide to call yourself a "pilot" anyway.

I'm detecting a disturbing trend about your ego here.

Mitch you need to stop. I apologized above and even edited my comment. But you need to realize you're comments are irresponsible as well.

My ego is fine. I apologized.

Ps.. I do not generally refer to myself as a pilot... Re read my statements. All I have ever said is I don't care if someone calls them that and my pilot friend wouldn't care either. I generally say "I fly RC quads" or something... I don't really pay attention... But, again... Much ado about absolutely nothing IMO

This thread has turned clinically crazy.

It is one thing to have an opinion and to share it, even to try to sway people to your way of thinking.
But when you start insulting and belittling people who don't share your opinion, yeah, that is crazy.
And trollish.
And snot nose-ish.

Not sure why that posted twice...

Edit:
Not sure what Florida's licensing laws are, but in WA state, an MS in psychology qualifies you to hang a shingle and have a private practice as a Psychologist. A recognized and professionally licensed Health Care Provider.

GoodnNuff said:
This thread has turned clinically crazy.

It is one thing to have an opinion and to share it, even to try to sway people to your way of thinking.
But when you start insulting and belittling people who don't share your opinion, yeah, that is crazy.
And trollish.
And snot nose-ish.
Agree...100%(Although I wish we could drop that snot nose kid reference...it is gross!) :roll:

:lol:
Over Christmas my family was visiting relatives in Hawaii. They have lived on the Big Island for 13 years. They work there and have nice houses and are still called Mainlanders or Haole. They don't take offense. In reality that's what they are.

Back on subject, my Cousin's oldest son is a Marine. He called himself a jarhead on more than one occaision. I didn't because it sounds disrespectful. Funny thing is, he is a real helicopter pilot and we had great discussions about our aircraft. I flew my Phantom around their property in Hilo and showed the pictures and videos to all the family on Christmas. My Cousin's son, the Marine, real pilot, paid me a compliment and said what a good pilot I was!

Another good friend of mine flies Commercial Aircraft as well as the Reno Air-races. He laughed at me when I complimented his completion of Multi-engine Certification. His comment was Commercial: it's like driving a bus.

The point is, we really should be humble when it comes to the fact that these RC Aircraft that we pilot should never endanger us or others lives, regardless of what we call ourselves. PC rant over and out!

GoodnNuff said:

Edit:
Not sure what Florida's licensing laws are, but in WA state, an MS in psychology qualifies you to hang a shingle and have a private practice as a Psychologist. A recognized and professionally licensed Health Care Provider.

True... If you have a degree in clinical psychology which I don't. Mine is general psychology with an emphasis on social psychology. So I'll say again... My comment was unfair and I meant it just to make a point and perhaps a sick joke... But because you guys don't know that I don't mean any harm... I apologize.

MadMitch88 said:
I'm getting increasingly disturbed that we like to call ourselves Phantom "pilots". :oops:

I feel like it's insulting to REAL pilots who fly REAL aircraft and spend thousands of hours of study and training to become certified, especially commercial airline transport pilots who hold hundreds of people's lives in their hands from the moment they take off until the moment they land. What about military pilots who fly dangerous combat missions and get fired upon with anti-aircraft guns and missiles? Don't you think they deserve a lot more respect than some guy sitting on a lawn chair and sipping a Coke on a balmy summer day while he buzzes around the backyard with a plastic toy? ;)

I've been irked for many years hearing the term "healthcare provider" evenly applied to a nurse's aid who spent 6 months in community college learning how to take a blood pressure vs. a brain surgeon who spent 10 years of rigorous education and training after college to become certified to crack open a patient's skull and remove a tumor. It's insulting that a "doctor" gets lumped into the same terminology as a lab tech or nurse aid.

And who in the hell decided to start calling a guy who wears a silly hat and sits at the controls of a choo-choo train an "engineer" when real engineers have to take very difficult math & physics & chemistry courses in college to earn that title?

I think it's time we stop acting macho and stupid and start calling ourselves "Phantom Operators". An operator is somebody who controls a machine, and that's exactly what we do. Otherwise, we are only fooling ourselves into thinking we are real pilots to make us feel important. Only insecure crybabies act like that. :roll:

Amongst other ridiculous things you're likely in the same crowd taking great offense to the word "Drone" when referring to a phantom. The only one here acting stupid is you. You might as well fight the tides, or the sun coming up in the morning. In the grand scheme of things you're opinions about language mean nothing, are quite wrong and end up making you look like a fool. By all means fight the good fight against how a word is used, just know it's a hopeless battle you're wasting your energy on.

I was a certified pilot and if I still was, I wouldn't have a problem with someone saying they are Phantom Pilots. After all, we aren't saying we are commercial pilots, Lear Jet Pilots, Cessna Pilots, etc.

Furthermore, we ARE piloting our Phantoms. If we pilot our Phantom into a brand new, expensive sports car, I'm certain that in a court of law, we would charged as the pilot of this RC craft and are therefore responsible.

You could call yourself as a Phantom Operator, if you wish. But, then surgeons might get mad! Or those who put on Phantom of the Opera, might get mad.

By the way, I am a "real engineer" with many decades of experience. Not once has it even crossed my mind that train engineers shouldn't be called an engineer. If a grown man operates toy trains, in his basement and calls himself an engineer, it doesn't bother me. If it makes him happy, that is great!

Don't get caught up in the terms. I'm sure a "real" pilot might walk up to me, someday, and ask ME to teach him to fly my Phantom. As long as people are having fun, with their hobby, let it go. A BTW, it never occurred to me what to label myself for flying RC crafts. Not once did I even think of the word pilot, but technically we are piloting what we are flying.

PhantomFanatic said:
I was a certified pilot and if I still was, I wouldn't have a problem with someone saying they are Phantom Pilots. After all, we aren't saying we are commercial pilots, Lear Jet Pilots, Cessna Pilots, etc.

Furthermore, we ARE piloting our Phantoms. If we pilot our Phantom into a brand new, expensive sports car, I'm certain that in a court of law, we would charged as the pilot of this RC craft and are therefore responsible.

You could call yourself as a Phantom Operator, if you wish. But, then surgeons might get mad!

People call me a great grill chef,,, should I correct them because I didn't go to culinary school?

No..no..no... I'm a food cooker... Please don't insult chefs.

MadMitch88 said:
CallMeAlan said:
Why isn't a nurse's aid, who takes BPs, possibly gives injections, and possibly wipes bottoms, providing healthcare? Even the elderly lady who brings a cup of tea to a bed bound patient is providing healthcare. They are all healthcare providers, including the guy who puts a blood sample into an analyser to get a full blood count or a U and E.

You're missing the point. Doctors and nurses shouldn't be lumped in with nurse's aid and lab techs as "healthcare providers". Doctors and nurses spent a very lengthy time getting their education and training and deserve more respect with esteemed titles like "doctor" and "nurse" versus some generic, watered-down term like "healhcare provider".

Do you call your soulmate a "wife" or simply a "female co-habitant"? Do you call your kids "son" or "daughter" simply "biological products of copulation" ??

Titles are important in this world. We need to start respecting them and assigning them only to people who deserve and earn them.

I shouldn't even have participated here, but I don't schedule appointments with health care providers, I schedule a Doctor's appointment. I call them doctors. I've also had nurses that had more sense than some doctors. I've thanked even the person who comes into my hospital room to take out the trash. They all have a role to play as healthcare providers.

Why doesn't Phantom Operator bother you? After all, the term operator used to be primarily for the operator on the phone. At my job, we had Division Operators. They and others, including the TMC engineers, (me) linemen, district operators and engineers all kept the lights on. Did you care what they were called when your lights were off?

This plain silliness. No offense to you Mitch, but I think you are over analyzing this. I don't know if you fly RC planes and single (main) rotor helicopters. But, both require more skill than flying multi-rotors. But, we all are enjoying the RC hobby. It makes us happy and that is all that matters.

GoodnNuff said:

Edit:

Strange. In GA, you have to have a P.H.D. to be called a psychologist. I believe that is nationwide. One with a M.S. is usually referred to as a therapist. A psychiatrist is a M.D. that specializes in psychiatry and can prescribe medications.

Uh-Oh, now someone will take offense that one with a P.H.D. is called a doctor. That is why Medical Doctor is used.

I said I would stop and I am. I'll go find someone to help instead of wasting more of my time with this nonsense! Bye!

Edit: I put psychologist where I meant Psychiatrist. Error corrected. I hope my error didn't offend anyone!

PhantomFanatic said:
GoodnNuff said:

Edit:

Strange. In GA, you have to have a P.H.D. to be called a psychologist. I believe that is nationwide. One with a M.S. is usually referred to as a therapist. A psychologist is a M.D. that specializes in psychiatry and can prescribe medications.

Uh-Oh, now someone will take offense that one with a P.H.D. is called a doctor. That is why Medical Doctor is used.

I said I would stop and I am. I'll go find someone to help instead of wasting more of my time with this nonsense! Bye!

Oops! You're right phantomfanatic!

Masters = clinical therapist
Doctorate = psychologist
MD = psychiatrist

Same in Florida.... As I said, never studied the clinical side... I will say though... Even though I tell people i concentrated in social psychology... They still want to ask me clinical questions lol... I'm like "unless you're wondering why you act a particular way in relationship to a group... You don't want to ask me" :lol:

Buckaye said:
PhantomFanatic said:
GoodnNuff said:

Edit:

Strange. In GA, you have to have a P.H.D. to be called a psychologist. I believe that is nationwide. One with a M.S. is usually referred to as a therapist. A psychologist is a M.D. that specializes in psychiatry and can prescribe medications.

Oops! You're right phantomfanatic!

Masters = clinical therapist
Doctorate = psychologist
MD = psychiatrist

Same in Florida.... As I said, never studied the clinical side... I will say though... Even though I tell people i concentrated in social psychology... They still want to ask me clinical questions lol... I'm like "unless you're wondering why you act a particular way in relationship to a group... You don't want to ask me" :lol:

I just had to call a friend and then look on line to verify my mistake... :oops:

A buddy of mine moved from Utah to Washington with his MS in Psychology so he could open a private practice here...I thought he practiced as a "psychologist" (turns out he just likes to call himself one - I'll send MadMitch after him), he doesn't. He practices as a clinical therapist. In Utah one can't run a private practice as a clinical therapist without a phD according to my friend. My confusion, my mistake.

MadMitch88 said:
480sparky said:
Anyone who flies full-size aircraft who's offended by us calling ourselves pilots needs to check their ego at the door.

You're a Phantom "operator". Pilot is a title reserved for people who risk their own lives and others when they climb into a REAL aircraft.

Thank you for proving my point.

bald1eagle said:
I call myself a drone pilot because the chicks dig it.

Best argument yet!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20