Should I update?

Reaction score
Hi all

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

I have P3P and i'm still running.

App 3.1.28
Aircraft 1.9.60
Remote 1.6.0

Simply I havent any problems but I am well aware that it's all outdate, I'm cautious of upgrading due to reading about problems people have had. Should I upgraded or is it a case of if its not broken don't fix it?

Regards

Neil

Updates are optional. However, I like to update to the latest firmware after it's known to be stable so I'm able to take advantage of the latest features and fixes (including undocumented fixes). You can see the changes DJI shared in the release notes here.

If you decide to update the firmware, you can find detailed Phantom 3 firmware installation instructions here.

Neil,
I am new to the Phantom family and was also worried about updating my drone. I flew it for a week or so right out of the box and then decided to update based on forum inputs from fine folks like Msinger and Oso.

After updating(4 days ago) I took it out and let it hover, did some close flying around my house before landing and loading a waypoint mission. Everything worked great. You have to recalibrate your bird and I had to re-pair my controller after updating it too.

All and all, just follow the steps and you will be fine!

I think the number of sucessful updates vs fails is highly in favour of success.

I have latest everything with my P3P / Android / Controller and only glitch was the black screen video / no maps one day ... since then all fine.

My biggest advice to anyone who decides to update :

1. Decide why you want to update.
2. Plan the action before starting.
3. Make sure you have manual handy in case of re-linking etc.

The secret I believe is planning and execution in proper and organised sequence. It is not an exercise to enter into with half info.

Final comment : Have I noticed any advantage since updating ? Actually No !

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
Simply I havent any problems but I am well aware that it's all outdate, I'm cautious of upgrading due to reading about problems people have had. Should I upgraded or is it a case of if its not broken don't fix it?

Ah, yes, updates. There's been no shortage of debate on this site over the subject of updates. Both sides (yes vs. no) have been very passionate and very vocal on this matter. As msinger pointed out above, updates are optional. If you haven't done so already, you may wish to peruse that topic throughout this site and then make an informed decision based on the available information. I offer no comment on updates to avoid being labeled as a fear monger. I'm satisfied with the performance of my P3S and P4 without taking any additional risks. The decision is yours. Good luck with whichever path you choose. If you do encounter a problem with updates, this site is THE place to come for help. That much I WILL clearly state.

Reactions: quaddamage
I would say it really depends on the phone or tablet you have, GO4 needs lots of resouces and my Samsung tab4 can't run GO4 so I have almost the same as you have exept app 3.1.3. My craft (P4) flys like a charm and I don't need or use the extras in 4. Make sure before you update that you are able to run the app. 3.1.3 has been very stable as 1.6 RC and 1.9.6 AC (hundreds of flights)

I would say it really depends on the phone or tablet you have, GO4 needs lots of resouces and my Samsung tab4 can't run GO4 so I have almost the same as you have exept app 3.1.3. My craft (P4) flys like a charm and I don't need or use the extras in 4. Make sure before you update that you are able to run the app. 3.1.3 has been very stable as 1.6 RC and 1.9.6 AC (hundreds of flights)

That's all fine - but don't forget the guys is a P3 A or P owner the apps etc are not compatible with P4.

Nigel

Reactions: Quest-So
That's all fine - but don't forget the guys is a P3 A or P owner the apps etc are not compatible with P4.

Nigel
I am still running the old firmwares (because of my slow tablet) and I was under the impression they where the same for GO and RC. Guess not, in any case like Nigel said if the newer version does not improve your experience or the stability is it worth it. Some have no issues and others do, why? hard call, I think the majority of issues is user induced (not intentionally) or a combination of all. All the updates I had with my P4 was for the better until GO4 came along (for me) I was lucky because in the beginning I could roll everything back (app ,RC, AC).

I know this does not answer your question, but when I get a better tablet I am not sure if I will update because my craft is stellar (so far) with what I got and I really don`t want to mess that up. I will probably leave it as is because it does every thing it is suppose to do. I will upgrade with my next bird maybe a P5 if dji can learn to count higher then 4.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Hi all

App 3.1.28
Aircraft 1.9.60
Remote 1.6.0

Regards

Neil

My P3P is also on 1.9.60 and doing fine. The remote is running 1.8.0 without any issues.

I have put off my updates for the time being but will eventually take the plunge. It doesn't sound like the P3 series updates have been problematic. Can't say that for the P4.

I recently acquired a P3A. Main bird is P4A.

The P3A had been ‘boxed’ since new for over two years. I had no choice. All out of date, lost link, etc.

The latest FW and GO seems to be working fine. I do notice some ‘flickering’ on the display, but not sure if that is the update or inherent with the P3A.

I’m just starting to become familiar with the P3A now.

Last edited:
Updates have always worked fine for me and over time the features and function are getting better. The main warning I have is to update everything or nothing. If you update your drone, you should also update your controller and the DJI (or other) software on your display device (phone, tablet, BT-300 glasses). Vendors don't test exhaustively all possible combinations of software/firmware.

Hi all

App 3.1.28
Aircraft 1.9.60
Remote 1.6.0

Regards

Neil

TWICE now I have been bitten by software updates in the last month. The LAST place you want to find these new bugs is in the field. Against my better judgment, I allowed Map Pilot to update last week before a job I had the following day. BIG MISTAKE (slapping myself in the head). I get out the field and my third-party app lost its ability to download SMRT data. So there I was on a 1850 acre mapping job (with 600 acres planned for that day), and I've got no terrain data and ZERO support from "Drones Made Easy" (they don't have a phone number or chat support - they don't even answer email - but that's another story).

Fortunately, I had saved all my mapping missions on my other iPad (another hack because Apple doesn't just allow you to manage .ipa files [Apple install files] the way Windows allows you to manage .exe files). So I was able to complete the day.

Last night, I allowed PreSonus software to update before a gig (PreSonus is an audio company who produces digital mixing consoles and the remote software used to control them). I get to the gig, and all the channel strip labels were missing. Fortunately, in both instances, I had a second, NON-updated iPad. I always keep two iPads at all times for good reason. I update them one at a time. I also make sure I have stored on my laptop legacy, WORKING .ipa files for the programs (apps) I use on my iPad. It's all quite convoluted, but I guess it separates my business from other businesses who might get hung up in similar situations.

My paradigm is basically this; If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I use legacy software and firmware for ALL three of my birds; Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 (Gen 2), and P4P. I couldn't be happier. It's amazing what a wonderful tool these birds can be when you don't have DJI's fist in your....face....all the time.

I never had to worry about third-party apps before. But now it's clear I have to keep an eye on the third-party apps I use. No more updates for me until I:

A) have the .ipa file for the known-to-be-working legacy version of the software (app) I use.
B) have time to TEST the update at home.

If you don't want to go through all that hacking rigmarole, simply don't update. Because I use legacy versions of software and firmware in ALL my DJI products, I NEVER have to login to the DJI mother ship, and NEVER get stuck having to take their ridiculous tests. DJI seems to think we have Internet and/or Cell service at every job. In the mapping game, I very often have neither. And until you login to their mother ship or take their on-line test, your bird is grounded.

Look at what this poor chap went through out in the field! You might wanna turn down your sound card if you have kids.

Good luck!

D

Totaly agree with you, i had the same issu update it the Bird and the controller and also the app and had to perform a flight exam! Dji geo force didit unlock my geo locatio had to fly at a old airfield hanger, guess what perform the test with an other brit with no updates and all went smooth so my rulle and leart it the hard way is if it isnt broken dont fix it ...

Fly safe

TWICE now I have been bitten by software updates in the last month. The LAST place you want to find these new bugs is in the field. Against my better judgment, I allowed Map Pilot to update last week before a job I had the following day. BIG MISTAKE (slapping myself in the head). I get out the field and my third-party app lost its ability to download SMRT data. So there I was on a 1850 acre mapping job (with 600 acres planned for that day), and I've got no terrain data and ZERO support from "Drones Made Easy" (they don't have a phone number or chat support - they don't even answer email - but that's another story).

Fortunately, I had saved all my mapping missions on my other iPad (another hack because Apple doesn't just allow you to manage .ipa files [Apple install files] the way Windows allows you to manage .exe files). So I was able to complete the day.

Last night, I allowed PreSonus software to update before a gig (PreSonus is an audio company who produces digital mixing consoles and the remote software used to control them). I get to the gig, and all the channel strip labels were missing. Fortunately, in both instances, I had a second, NON-updated iPad. I always keep two iPads at all times for good reason. I update them one at a time. I also make sure I have stored on my laptop legacy, WORKING .ipa files for the programs (apps) I use on my iPad. It's all quite convoluted, but I guess it separates my business from other businesses who might get hung up in similar situations.

My paradigm is basically this; If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I use legacy software and firmware for ALL three of my birds; Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 (Gen 2), and P4P. I couldn't be happier. It's amazing what a wonderful tool these birds can be when you don't have DJI's fist in your....face....all the time.

I never had to worry about third-party apps before. But now it's clear I have to keep an eye on the third-party apps I use. No more updates for me until I:

A) have the .ipa file for the known-to-be-working legacy version of the software (app) I use.
B) have time to TEST the update at home.

If you don't want to go through all that hacking rigmarole, simply don't update. Because I use legacy versions of software and firmware in ALL my DJI products, I NEVER have to login to the DJI mother ship, and NEVER get stuck having to take their ridiculous tests. DJI seems to think we have Internet and/or Cell service at every job. In the mapping game, I very often have neither. And until you login to their mother ship or take their on-line test, your bird is grounded.

Look at what this poor chap went through out in the field! You might wanna turn down your sound card if you have kids.

Good luck!

D

Excellent I know the feeling.

I recently did latest update to my P4P + all works ok on DJI Go4 (both ipad and iphone)
I have a P4P controller for Litchi missions using iphone ang ipad
Litchi connects to P4P + and works on the ipad ios 11.2.6 (not updated) Litchi missions work fine and will not connect to iphone 7s ios 11.3 (updated) Litchi Version 2.1.4.
Me things problem has to be the update on iphone ?
Mostly use Litchi way point missions to video farms so will not update ipad until iphone is sorted.

Thanks

Reactions: Harleydude
Yeah, I almost forgot how furious I was when the app told me it won't work until I update in the middle of a field.

And those animated commercials at start.. especially when the app crashes during flight and you want to restart it ASAP.

In general, I keep devices updated: my PC, my router, my phone mostly too (though I never use automatic updates).
But for the drones - no. That's an exception. Here I never had an update after which I told to myself "yeah, this one helped me". Not even once I've noticed any positive change. I believe they do add fixes sometimes, but somehow they never affect me. But the spyware, forced updates, commercials and new bugs - they do affect me.

I am considering switching to some modded version of Dji Go. These often have all the irritations removed. Though it is a software change too, so I'm waiting for a moment when I can test it without pressure.

The only bit of wisdom I would add to that is based on numerous outings where I relied on various equipment to be fully operational and ready to go, only to get to my destination (sometimes hours from home) and then discover that something wasn't functioning, or missing entirely. My takeaway is, always verify that you have everything you need and it's functioning properly BEFORE you have to depend on it.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl