Should I update my Phantom 3 Pro?

• Thread starter Deleted member 120324
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120324

I recently bought my phantom from a friend of mine who didn't use it anymore. The phantom is on older firmware and hasn't been updated in a while. My question is will updating make it so I cannot fly in my neighborhood? On the current firmware I can fly, but since I live relatively close to an airport I am worried that updating will hinder my drone useless within my neighborhood.

Below I've posted some information that may help. I'm a bit new to flying with Dji so help is much appreciated.
Screenshot_20190731-125444__01.jpeg
Screenshot_20190731-125507.jpeg
Screenshot_20190731-130643.jpeg
Screenshot_20190731-130608.jpeg

Just realized this may be (more than likely) in the wrong thread. My apologies [emoji28]

If ok yeh no need to update but me not like your ""update aircraft""prompt,me had this with my first p4 and ignored it so long someone at dji locked my drone until I update ,I get this after driving to location to fly,,bummer,,,ended up having to update so just beware on that,,if you update you don't get grounded because you by airport,I'm between 2 of them and I just get a prompt to accept responsibility for flight if I fly here,just my 2 cents on that ,it's rare now but solid red lights not nice,some fly for years without updates so I was bit stumped on why they locked mine,,could have been the polite emails I sent them over time,they must have thought ah pay back for this chap lol..top pic just show airports close to me
Screenshot_20190801-092329.jpg
Screenshot_20190205-101335.jpg

I recently bought my phantom from a friend of mine who didn't use it anymore. The phantom is on older firmware and hasn't been updated in a while. My question is will updating make it so I cannot fly in my neighborhood? On the current firmware I can fly, but since I live relatively close to an airport I am worried that updating will hinder my drone useless within my neighborhood.

Below I've posted some information that may help. I'm a bit new to flying with Dji so help is much appreciated.View attachment 113390View attachment 113391View attachment 113392View attachment 113393

I'm still on V 1.8.0 and it flies as I want it to.
If it flies leave it alone.

NO, Don't update! There are many reasons to have old firmware. I actually LOOK FOR drones being sold with old firmware (especially P4P with 1.3.509 firmware in the craft) due to the limitations that were introduced into newer firmware. With old firmware you can modify the flight parameters and do things you cannot with new firmware. These things cannot be discussed on this forum, but you can search YouTube for "phantom parameters" and find tutorials on this subject. You can also go to nolimitdronz.com to learn more about their capabilities, but with firmware older than June 2017, you can make parameter mods at no cost, with ease. Nolimitdronz helps you revert back to old firmware to support parameter mods. Your version doesn't look that old to me. My P3P drone (which is for sale) has version 1.6.0 for drone firmware, you have 1.9.6 If your drone flies good, don't change it, that's what I recommend. The disadvantages are far worse than advantages (which are few).

NO, Don't update! There are many reasons to have old firmware. I actually LOOK FOR drones being sold with old firmware (especially P4P with 1.3.509 firmware in the craft) due to the limitations that were introduced into newer firmware. With old firmware you can modify the flight parameters and do things you cannot with new firmware. These things cannot be discussed on this forum, but you can search YouTube for "phantom parameters" and find tutorials on this subject. You can also go to nolimitdronz.com to learn more about their capabilities, but with firmware older than June 2017, you can make parameter mods at no cost, with ease. Nolimitdronz helps you revert back to old firmware to support parameter mods. Your version doesn't look that old to me. My P3P drone (which is for sale) has version 1.6.0 for drone firmware, you have 1.9.6 If your drone flies good, don't change it, that's what I recommend. The disadvantages are far worse than advantages (which are few).

Why cant these things be discussed on this forum? Just asking?

The moderators have forbidden this kind of discussion to mitigate unsafe flying. It may limit the forum liabilities too, but I doubt it.... however I'm not sure. It's a good policy IMO.

I mean I don't have a problem with it or anything but this forum shouldn't have any liabilities regarding public discussion among members unless they are assuming them intentionally. This forum does seem to have some quirky rules regarding speech I guess but I think these kinds of (public discussion and subject related) restrictions are more of their making than anything imposed.
It just struck me as odd and that's why I asked. Thank you

Below I've posted some information that may help. I'm a bit new to flying with Dji so help is much appreciated.View attachment 113390View attachment 113391View attachment 113392View attachment 113393
Same issue with mine. One is updated the other is not. I wish I'd have kept both original. I've had absolutely no problem with the university upgraded drone...many with the other. Like many, If it ain't broke, don't feel it.

Reactions: railimages
Beat me to it too. haha

I last updated my P3P about 4-5 years ago and haven't had a need to do it again AND I only use Litchi. I never use DJI GO!
Will Litchi block all of the annoying update messages? That is one of the main reasons for me why updating is tempting.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Also would updating the camera only be wise? Or would doing so force me to update the rest of the aircraft. I'm not sure Dji could've potentially added new features/quality updates? If not then I'd just leave it.

Will Litchi block all of the annoying update messages? That is one of the main reasons for me why updating is tempting.
One of the reasons I don't use GO except to diagnose problems. Although, if you're in a flight restricted area, Litchi won't tell you WHY you can't take off, it just won't let you... Took me a few minutes to figure it out on my P3S.

There's another side to the "if it ain't broke" coin.

Any bug fixes to the firmware, any performance improvements, any safety improvements, any advances in firmware that were made due to multiple user reports of crashes -- you will not gain those benefits. And all of those things have happened.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31