Should i mind my own business? Or write a complaint to FAA?

Reaction score
So. I was just on Craigslist, window shopping the drone section.. seen this guy*.. offering drone services and aerial photos. Now he doesnt say anything about being licensed or insured or qualified in any way. Also in his pictures i see it looks like he is violating 2 of the biggest no nos in my book.. looks like hes flying above 400 and flying over a highway with moving cars.. should i mind my own business or file a complaint? Or maybe just email him myself and maybe ask or inform him if he knows what hes doing is wrong and could possibly get him in trouble with a fine or hurt him or someone else? What do yall think... i dont like being a rat and i am a firm believer in karma and think it usually comes back around to you depending on your lifestyle.. heres the pictures. Any opinions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-181322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-181322_Chrome.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 572
  • Screenshot_20190917-181315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-181315_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Reactions: Weston Ney
Lol sorry man.. im not trying to be that guy.. also not trying to create a debate lol.. but the dudes from around the Charlotte area. A big city. I guess either way . His bad choices will catch up to him.. idk

So. I was just on Craigslist, window shopping the drone section.. seen this db.. offering drone services and aerial photos. Now he doesnt say anything about being licensed or insured or qualified in any way. Also in his pictures i see it looks like he is violating 2 of the biggest no nos in my book.. looks like hes flying above 400 and flying over a highway with moving cars.. should i mind my own business or file a complaint? Or maybe just email him myself and maybe ask or inform him if he knows what hes doing is wrong and could possibly get him in trouble with a fine or hurt him or someone else? What do yall think... i dont like being a rat and i am a firm believer in karma and think it usually comes back around to you depending on your lifestyle.. heres the pictures. Any opinions?
Wow, looks like your in a pickle! He might not know about the rules, that's my guess. I'm no authority on rules obviously, (I'm not really any authority on anything,) but it seems a lot of people that live out in rural areas that have drones that I know of seem to break the laws a lot out of ignorance and just plain not knowing what the laws are, or that there even are laws. In my town there was a realtor that had a son that used his drone for making his own real estate videos, but after 3 years of making videos without a part 107, he was told he needed to get one, so he ended up having to go and get a part 107.

Wow, looks like your in a pickle! He might not know about the rules, that's my guess. I'm no authority on rules obviously, (I'm not really any authority on anything,) but it seems a lot of people that live out in rural areas that have drones that I know of seem to break the laws a lot out of ignorance and just plain not knowing what the laws are, or that there even are laws. In my town there was a realtor that had a son that used his drone for making his own real estate videos, but after 3 years of making videos without a part 107, he was told he needed to get one, so he ended up having to go and get a part 107.
I figured these days most people know the basics especially if they purchased the drone or it came with any kind of instructions and of course i think one would at least google starting a drone business.. if you think about starting a drone business. But it could be he is just that ignorant of the law. Maybe just emailing him is the best route. See if he responds in any kind of way. Thanks

Last edited:
I figured these days most people know the basics especially if they purchased the drone or it came with any kind of instructions and of course you i think one would at least google starting a drone business.. if you think about starting a drone business. But it could be he is just that ignorant of the law. Maybe just emailing him is the best route. See if he responds in any kind of way. Thanks
I personally would say start by emailing him, I know 2 people who bought drones and started using them for work, and they honestly did not know about any rules. They didn't take the time to go research, they thought the only thing you had to learn was how to fly the Drone, so they put all their focus on that.

I personally would say start by emailing him, I know 2 people who bought drones and started using them for work, and they honestly did not know about any rules. They didn't take the time to go research, they thought the only thing you had to learn was how to fly the Drone, so they put all their focus on that.
I can see it. i can say i was ignorant of a few too when I first started it also takes a while to weed out the old articles on Google and the new rules amd regulations etc.

Reactions: Weston Ney
I'm not so sure on those photos. We do not know the take off point of the first photo. He could have taken off from a hill overlooking a valley, allowing him to take that photo or fly 400' over a 300' tower. As for the second photo, it appears he's on the side of the highway.

What’s that stuff about rural areas. Lol
I never saw a mountain that high around Charlotte North Carolina area on the Monroe side. You mean you can’t fly over hi ways. Lol

Well, as @Ansia points out, there could be mitigating circumstances that may need to be addressed. I wouldn't go off half-cocked on the guy, but maybe a friendly email stating your concerns. If he comes back with an attitude, I'd probably sick the FAA on his butt, smiling the whole time. I'm kinda mean spirited anyway, so I wouldn't have an issue calling the local FSDO if he gets pissy. That's just my opinion.

Brad

There are (were) several in my neck of the woods thought they'd get rich quick, flying for local realtors around Lake of The Ozarks. The "pilots" didn't last long, and more than a few realtors paid a hefty price for hiring them. Karma is a great and wonderful thing sometimes...

Do what you think is right, but make sure your ducks are quackin the right tune before you jump into it. Due diligence will keep you on the right side of the law.

Brad

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Hey thank you all for replying and given your honest opinions. It does seem that I don't know all the circumstances for sure. but I have not seen many mountain ranges or anything in the Charlotte area like Rootman stated. So he could be flying pretty close to the rules or regulations. Regular roads are one thing I feel a certain way about highways just because of the speed of the cars.. Yes I Do try to make sure that all my ducks are in a row and I try not to fly against any rules or regulations in the 1st place but again I know stuff can happen and they can happen at a blink of an eye. But I also know that there are many pilots out There that do not care for the rules or regulations and they're gonna make money off their drone either way but I also have met part 107 pilots that fly over federal buildings that just happened this weekend so just because you try to be thorough and follow all the rules doesn't mean that you're going too or that you're able to or that you're even aware that you're breaking a rule so yes I emailed the fella. very nicely and I'll wait to hear from there.And lol I'm not too mean spirited unless I know somebody's being a smart butt. Or intentionally doing something wrong over and over. But if he gets smart mouthed lol. I might have too call the faa.. though i dont wanna Charlottes 2 hours away i cant go have "nice chat". I am just trying to get my part 107 and start a drone business and I'm not trying to weed out any competition but I definitely don't want any illegal pilots flying in my area when I worked so hard to build and establish a business. But North Carolina is serious about drone use and you have to get NC DOT certification as well. I just don't want anybody out there making a bad name for responsible pilots. Is one thing if you're flying a Syma drone with a range of a 150' but once you could start going over 1500' in altitude andover 3000 or 4000' away then we run into problems. Thanks guys

There are (were) several in my neck of the woods thought they'd get rich quick, flying for local realtors around Lake of The Ozarks. The "pilots" didn't last long, and more than a few realtors paid a hefty price for hiring them. Karma is a great and wonderful thing sometimes...

Do what you think is right, but make sure your ducks are quackin the right tune before you jump into it. Due diligence will keep you on the right side of the law.

Brad
Just like you said karma Usually takes care of things Ill just let it play out after the kind email.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Just remember what my daddy always told me. Be diplomatic. "Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to ( Mod Removed Langage)in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just remember what my daddy always told me. Be diplomatic. "Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to (Mod Removed Langage) in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip!"
Bahaha for sure! I wish was that good at it. But i can usually grease the old squeaky hinge..

Reactions: Shoot4fun
So he claims that he didn't know anything and I just bought the drone last week he said hes been researching the part 107 And is finding out more and more rules so I gave him my number and told him if he has any questions to call and ask you know and i told him I'd get him on the forum well the mavic forum.. and he seemed receptive and seems grateful so it's up to him now whether he follows the rules or not..thanks for the help guys.

So. I was just on Craigslist, window shopping the drone section.. seen this guy*.. offering drone services and aerial photos. Now he doesnt say anything about being licensed or insured or qualified in any way. Also in his pictures i see it looks like he is violating 2 of the biggest no nos in my book.. looks like hes flying above 400 and flying over a highway with moving cars.. should i mind my own business or file a complaint? Or maybe just email him myself and maybe ask or inform him if he knows what hes doing is wrong and could possibly get him in trouble with a fine or hurt him or someone else? What do yall think... i dont like being a rat and i am a firm believer in karma and think it usually comes back around to you depending on your lifestyle.. heres the pictures. Any opinions?
My vote = MYOB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic