Shooting Fireworks - any FAA restrictions?

Reaction score
Wondering if there are any restrictions to flying in the proximity of fireworks. Do the fireworks companies obtain clearance and temporary restrictions for the air space immediately over the show? Are NOTAMs issued?

Thanks

Per Insurance Regulations the company responsible for the fireworks is supposed to stop everything with any deviation in the immediate vicinity of the area.

Does this happen? NO!!

I might be able to help out a little here. I have a Federal Explosive License (FEL) and also a display fireworks operator. Of course I own and fly UAV`s so I am not partial either way in this situation. Safety is the issue.

Lets look at a fireworks shoot site like an airport and the airspace around and above an airport. We, as the Display Company, have to have so many feet of secure area around the actual fireworks, the advised rule works out to 70 feet per inch of the biggest shell size used in the show. So lets say the largest shell being fired in the show is 4 inch then 70x4= 280 foot circle. We actually go beyond the 70 per inch and use 100 feet per inch- so for me to shoot 4 inch shells, we will have 400 feet to the closest person. No one or anything is allowed inside that circle unless pre approved by the local fire chief and the Display Operator. So usually, if you are watching a show that is set up in a open field, its not hard to see how far the operator is required to have free of everyone because the area will be empty and or taped off. Fling inside this safety area would be very questionable to the display operator. So my opinion is simple. Please stay far enough away so the breaking stars and debris of the fireworks will not be able to hit your UAV and possible cause it to crash down on a fireworks crew member or the public watching the show. I have noticed UAV`s in the air at some shoots but never had any problems with it because they plainly appear to be out of the "breaking area" of the shells.

So maybe try to make an attempt to talk to the display operator before hand. He or she would be able to help you out with everything you would need to know.

I know several guys who shoot display shows and I'm pretty sure they (we) don't have a problem with someone wanting to fly while we shoot as long as its done safely. I like being able to know where the UAV will be and already knowing the pilot isn't dumb enough to fly into the "breaking area" during the show causing us to have to stop firing. There is enough stress involved while firing without having to keep an eye on a UAV in the sky making sure its not going to become a safety issue.

As far as a barge shows (fireworks shot from a floating platform) no real issues as long as the UAV is not in the "breaking area" because it is possible a UAV falling on the barge could cause problems with the fireworks and or firing systems used to ignite the shells.

If your the guy who wants to fly threw the fireworks while they are exploding in the air- please stop and think about what could happen. This has been done and posted on you tube. Please don't do it at a Public Display Fireworks Show. All it will take is one stupid thing to get the attention of the right people and somehow the FAA will make some sort of ruling on fling near and during firework shows. We as pilots don't need anymore fling restrictions.

If your the guy who wants to fly and film inside exploding fireworks- contact me. You can come to my place when we test shoot shells and you can fly threw all the exploding fireworks you want. We have PLENTY of room where it will be done safely and with no consequence to people or property if your UAV happens to crash.

I'm not aware of any flight restrictions placed at firework shows at the moment.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl